SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:02 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Help, can't see pictures posted on threads :(

Help, no pictures seen in threads

I'm having problems getting the pics here to display and need some help.
The symptoms are that only the links to pics are shown (they do display if clicked on) nor are avatars displayed. Usually. Once in a while a pic will show and maybe an avatar too.
This started this past weekend and I thought it was related to the site's upgrades. After a day or two I posted to "Site Suggestions/Complaints" ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=154602 ) but got no response.
What I do know is 1) Pics appear OK on other PCs (PC at work or the other PCs on my LAN) so it is not settings here and 2) the same problems exists w/ either Intenet Explorer or Netscape 7.1 (just installed it to test).
My guess is something I've done w/McAfee firewall but can't see what.
My setup: XP, DSL, hardwired to wireless LAN router, McAfee Firewall & Anti-Virus.
-Mike
ps. All other images from the Ezone show up fine.
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
Last edited by FlyByMike; Sep 30, 2003 at 10:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2003, 10:37 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Mike,
I was going to drop this in site suggestions be see that you already tried there. Hopefully some of the PC gurus here can give you a hand solving the problem.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Oct 01, 2003, 06:04 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Thanks Don.
And ya know, the fun is slowly ebbing without the pics
-Mike
Old Oct 01, 2003, 07:09 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Click on My RCGroups link, above..
Click on Edit Options link,

Ensure that Show user's avatar in their posts? and
Show image attachments and [img] code in Posts? are both set to Yes.

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 01, 2003, 10:51 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Yes, Show Avatars and Show Attachments are set to Yes.
Remember this only happens on one machine, all others I've used (at work & at home) are OK.
-Mike
Old Oct 01, 2003, 10:54 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
An additional factoid: My yahoo mail displays a thumbnail of attached jpegs. It too will not show on the affected PC; other PC do show it.
-Mike
Old Oct 02, 2003, 12:32 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Have a look, in Netscape, wheher under edit/preferences/Privacy and security/Images you have the accept all images button pressed.

If you have any JPEGS on your local hard drive, try to load them into the browser.

If you have images checked, and you can load off teh local drive, its a firewall issue.

I am not familiar with your firewall, but somewhere you probably have blocked incoming JPG images.

Ah. Do other machines behind the firewall work OK? If so unless you have set some VERY specific blocking its likely to be netscrape or Internet exploiter settings.

However it seems unlikely that you have messed up those in exactly the same way...nope I think its yer firewall. Nasty things firewalls.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 02, 2003, 09:52 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
vintage1 said "Ah. Do other machines behind the firewall work OK? If so unless you have set some VERY specific blocking its likely to be netscrape or Internet exploiter settings.

However it seems unlikely that you have messed up those in exactly the same way...nope I think its yer firewall."

Other machines on my local net (behind the router firewall) do OK. And I agree it's unlikely to have both browers messed up the same. I have everthing, within reason, enabled everywhere - things like the brower's java/scripts/etc and the "do not block this IP or exe" on both firewalls. (Which makes me very nervous indeed!)

I'm still not sure if it's a firewall issue. I tried recovering older, saved off router firewall settings and disabled the McAffee firewall; still no joy.

Tonite, for sure, when I viewed the thread about the hairy NASCAR fan the pic came through just fine. A few tens of seconds later when I reloaded it and then reclicked on the link, the pic was not there. And when I did "save as" to the page the pic wasn't there either Older pages I've saved view OK, pics and all.
Gonna try to parse or otherwise examine the NASCAR html I saved.

All other jpegs and bmps seem to be OK w/ the exception of avatars. Even links to other sites that have pics posted come over nicely

Thanks to all who have considered my plight
-Mike
Old Oct 02, 2003, 10:00 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Sims
Mike,
I was going to drop this in site suggestions be see that you already tried there. Hopefully some of the PC gurus here can give you a hand solving the problem.
Don
Just curious: Did I misunderstand that you were not going to move it?
-Mike
Old Oct 03, 2003, 05:41 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I moved it. It belongs here.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W