Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Discussion
what's similar to but better than the mcpx?

my mcpx has too many gremlins and ive read everything i can on them and nothing seems to work. shaking, trembling, etc. i do some things i read of (including every thread on this site) and its good for a while but comes back. the latest is the twitching while it rotates like a ticking clock on the ground. then there is the sudden darting straight up, the dropping out of the air for no reason, the hicupping of power as you try to power up while in a descent, random spasms in mid air and dropping. binding time is lots of fun. Servos shivering, again.

im asking because right now im at a point where its busted up good, and i have to put in a good 50 bucks worth of parts, again. canopy, skids, tail boom, possible frame because its mangled too badly to re-repair the canopy pegs. etc. And after its done ill still have the gremlins that helped cause all the damage. i even resoldered the battery wire tonight to no benefit. maybe now is a good time to change to something else.

i like the chopper when it works, i like the size, its great for indoors, im a beginner so im new to helis and im eager to learn some 3d but right now am content with just learning to fly cp normally. I actually dont crash much at all, if the chopper works glitch free i can fly for days without incident. im not passing all the blame to the heli, ive caused some damage learning especially at the beginning, but now i spend more time fiddling with the gremlins than flying.

is there anything out there that is as nice to fly but more...reliable? something that just doesnt develop so many mysterious glitches, and will allow me to progress into 3d?

please excuse the punctuation, typing on a touch screen is a pita.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
625 Posts
if you look theres many post about the Genius, alot of people have come over to the darkside (walkera)
Hot_Wheels is online now Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:16 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
yup genius cp it is...it has been take all my abuse and still kicking
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:37 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
In this ultra light submicro CP area there are only two real contenders the MCP X and the Genius CP - the genius has a lot of fans and many also fly the MCP X and believe the genius is better in many aspects.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:57 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
im going to look at the genius but theres a little problem in that my lhs doesnt carry walkera for some reason, and the only other store is half hour further out which incidentally i dont really like for the sole reason that they never have parts, so getting replacement parts is going to be a problem. i have a hard enough time getting mcpx parts. it sounds minor but when you really need parts and cant get them its a downer.

im going to look into it anyway, maybe buy a few sets of the most commonly broken parts if i do go with it.

i was just reading that there is an mcpx 2 coming, is this true, does anyone know anything about it?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:08 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
The common parts to consider of getting is tail blade, tail fin, main shaft, main gear and if you getting a brushed motor then get spares. As for the landing gear you hav to replace the whole frame as it break easily.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
im going to look at the genius but theres a little problem in that my lhs doesnt carry walkera for some reason, and the only other store is half hour further out which incidentally i dont really like for the sole reason that they never have parts, so getting replacement parts is going to be a problem. i have a hard enough time getting mcpx parts. it sounds minor but when you really need parts and cant get them its a downer.

im going to look into it anyway, maybe buy a few sets of the most commonly broken parts if i do go with it.

i was just reading that there is an mcpx 2 coming, is this true, does anyone know anything about it?
I have this problem too but have learnt to live with it. Besides, if i'm desperate, one mail order vendor here in the UK delivers next day.

A good few of my heli's are Walkera, and what I choose to do is order spares in bulk to save on p&p. Even parcels from China only take around 5-7 days to the UK so it's not a big wait.

From what i've heard about the Genius it's meant to be one tough bird anyway. I intend to buy one next year when funds permit.
Username> is offline Find More Posts by Username>
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Apr 2010
833 Posts
Hi Kawi,
I've been thru 2 MPCxs myself (2nd one used for spares). The "gremlins" IMHO are pretty darn minor and are easy to fix. I don't have the Genuis so I can't comment on that (my only Walkera has been a V120D01 fixed pitch which has been a great heli).

Parts supply should be a big factor in your heli decision-- if you don't want to deal with mail order, having a LHS nearby is really nice.

I've been really happy with the MCPx and have only done the following mod to it:

-remove the slop in the swash ball links by fitting #2 orings (or canopy grommets) between the balls and the links. This gets rid of the shaking. I also put 3 o-rings in between the blade grips along the feathering shaft (since I had some extra rings), but I'm not sure that does anything...

-Later, as the servos get some wear in them, some shaking will return, you can take them apart and clean off the contact strips with alcohol. Note, you can't "service" the walkera servos too easily (ohter than rotating stripped gears), and generally have to replace them when they die.

No matter what heli you get parts are going to wear out and will need servicing/replacing

That's it-- been flying great for me.

Another "tie breaker" decision could be what you are looking at getting after the micro heli-- does that heli need a spectrum tx or a walkera tx?

(Unfortunatly for me I have a walkera tx, a spectrum tx, and a futuba tx...)

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:46 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2011
579 Posts
Quote:
im asking because right now im at a point where its busted up good, and i have to put in a good 50 bucks worth of parts, again. canopy, skids, tail boom, possible frame because its mangled too badly to re-repair the canopy pegs. etc. And after its done ill still have the gremlins that helped cause all the damage.
If you're having all of these intractable gremlins, I wouldn't put $50 into it in spare parts. If it turns out that the gremlins are in the main board, adding in the price of that can put you into the cost range of a new heli. You can get a brand new BNF at Ultimate Hobbies:

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...&numperpage=16

for $109.95 plus $8.95 shipping, which is waived on orders of $150 or more.

You can use the old one for any parts that are still good.

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline Find More Posts by Nomad57
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:36 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I have 3 mcpx's and would have to say so far they are the best indoor micro cp's i have ever had. They have a few minor issues but nothing that kept me from flying them. They are very durable and i beat them against walls constantly. Before i had my mcpx's i never flipped consistanly in small areas.

On the genius I hope it is a good little heli and from what i read it should be.
Mine was suppose to be here on Saturday but was delayed until today.
If I think it is a good, comparable heli you should see a video similar (hopefully better flying) to this one shorty
Mcpx Bathroom Flight (2 min 0 sec)
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:43 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I have 3 mcpx's and would have to say so far they are the best indoor micro cp's i have ever had. They have a few minor issues but nothing that kept me from flying them. They are very durable and i beat them against walls constantly. Before i had my mcpx's i never flipped consistanly in small areas.

On the genius I hope it is a good little heli and from what i read it should be.
Mine was suppose to be here on Saturday but was delayed until today.
If I think it is a good, comparable heli you should see a video similar (hopefully better flying) to this one shorty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9gsE57UBSY
Wow...wondering why someone would fly in a bathroom! Holy Cow can you fly. Good one. Blade should buy that from you for advertising. Good flying.
MIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Some good advice here, thanks!

I'm thinking a new mcpx might be the best choice. The tx is a good point, and although parts by mail might work for some people, but for me it sometimes takes more than a month. The comment about the gremlins being minor, I'm not sure if you've had the issue with intermittent power loss and stuttering throttle, do you know what i could try for that, im reading people replaced motors and 3 in1 to fix it. if I could cure that I'd deal with the rest. I did the grommet swashplate fix also, but this problem impairs normal flight control completely.

Here a new bnf is 150. Im going to look for cheaper.

And what about the mcpx 2, is that just a rumor? My lhs has it listed in it's site already for sale with a price, just the status is that it's new and n/a.
Last edited by Kawi; Dec 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Wow...wondering why someone would fly in a bathroom! Holy Cow can you fly. Good one. Blade should buy that from you for advertising. Good flying.

MIke
Thanks.. but if someone like me can fly in a small area... now imagine what some really good flyer could do. I saw a really good video a while back of someone doing some serious flying inside a utitlity trailer

Quote:
Some good advice here, thanks!

I'm thinking a new mcpx might be the best choice. The tx is a good point, and although parts by mail might work for some people, but for me it sometimes takes more than a month. The comment about the gremlins being minor, I'm not sure if you've had the issue with intermittent power loss and stuttering throttle, do you know what i could try for that, im reading people replaced motors and 3 in1 to fix it. if I could cure that I'd deal with the rest. I did the grommet swashplate fix also, but this problem impairs normal flight control completely.

Here a new bnf is 150. Im going to look for cheaper.

And what about the mcpx 2, is that just a rumor? My lhs has it listed in it's site already for sale with a price, just the status is that it's new and n/a.
No I have not had any motor issues with any of mine.

Also yes there is a v2 mcpx it has an upgraded board.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
Joined Apr 2010
833 Posts
I was having some power loss on the tail but tracked it down to a loose connector from the tail into the 3in1. I just needed to spread out the prongs a bit. I have not had problems with the main motor. Eflight does have a good rep wrt customer service if you do have a problem with the electronics.

Chief
BHChieftain is online now Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Apr 2009
745 Posts
I have the MCPX as well and have had no problems and if I do Horizon has great customer service the MCPX has very minor problems unless you plan on beating it to death otherwise it is a pretty decent little heli. My experiance with Walkera has never been a good one and from what I have read the Genius is anything but indestructable and if you read all the post it has its share of problems as well.
Flight time is offline Find More Posts by Flight time