HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2001, 04:38 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Modeltech 25 size ME 109 Conversion

Just came back from Hobby people and saw a really cool Modeltech ME 109 that is intended for a 25 two stroke glow. Does anyone think my new Astro 05 brushless with Superbox would fly this plane on 8 cells. Its very light and about 48 inches with about 350 square inches of wing. Just guessing on the numbers from what I saw of the display they were building. I had the guy's hold the last one for me. Any Ideas would help.
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2001, 11:14 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Check this out: http://www.rcezine.com/March2001/electrics.html

It talks about this exact conversion. Also, I think that Ferreira is on the E-zone. So, you could probably do a search for his name and e-mail him about it.
He also did a conversion of Model Tech's Extra 300 (see the July edition of rcezine) that has been placed on the once-I'm-good-enough to-do list.

Mitch

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 07-06-2001).]
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:17 AM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
matfield,tonbridge, kent,england
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
hi
I would think you should have no problem's converting it to electric as they do the same model as a pss and i am currently converting one of modeltech's P51 mustang's to electric it will be running on an overlander hurricane 650 motor and an 8 cell 2000ah battery
cheers
nasa_steve
nasa_steve is offline Find More Posts by nasa_steve
Old Jul 08, 2001, 05:33 PM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
399 Posts
What gear ration are you planning to use and what is the largest diameter the plane can take, avoiding hitting the ground? Electriccalc shows that it will work with a 9x6 prop, 8 cells, and gear ratio of 2.4, assuming you have the 3T (3 turn) motor capable of providing 300 watts of power. If you have the 4T, 10 cells would work best, with the same setup. Good Luck!
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:01 PM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
direct drive as recommended by the importer as was the motor there was no mention of any gearing although i'm sure after the first flight i will know
nasa_steve
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:11 PM
SF Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2001
399 Posts
I don't think it will work because if you will be flying it direct drive with big prop size, you could be pulling more than 35 amps, which exceeds the speed control rating. You could damage your motor and speed control.
rcastab is offline Find More Posts by rcastab
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:32 PM
Destroyer of Cell's!!!
Joined May 2001
363 Posts
i think in the uk there are several people using this set~up including the original conversion model any way if it pulls more than 35amp there is no probs i'll just fit a larger speed controller. the prop i have matched to this is a graupner 9*5 slim prop
nasa_steve
Old Jul 09, 2001, 07:09 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Well I just picked up The Modeltech ME 109 25 size. It looks like it will work well. lotsa room for batteries and my Astro 05 B/L on superbox fits easily. And I can swing a 12 inch prop with the 2 1/2 inch lightweight wheels I bought. I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Joe
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:51 AM
Orange, Ca
Joined Dec 2000
117 Posts
Hi Joe, Im the one who converted the ME 109 40 size. As I do with all my planes I get out my trusty old amp meter and experiment with diferent props. I like to prop mine at least 40 amps to 50 with my Aveox or plettenburg because its going to go way down in flight and even more when you throtle back.I think its a waste of good power to set these kind of motors up for less. Of course you have to have a speed controll that can handle it. If you would of saw the look on the gas guys eyes when they saw my 25 size 300 extra go verticle then knive edge all the way down the runway then you would know why I run the big amps. I live in Orange too and I go flying with Troy all the time.You should come out with us some time. I usually fly out at the Costa Mesa field on Sat. mornings. around 8:00 come check it out. Mark Ferreira
Mark F is offline Find More Posts by Mark F
Old Jul 10, 2001, 01:40 AM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
My motor is geared at 3.3 to 1 and astro reccomends a 12x7 apc on 8 cells. I was planning on using an 11x8 or 11x9 prop and 8 cells.
Thanks Joe
Old Oct 24, 2007, 07:20 PM View Post
torro-ski
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. It is temporarily hidden while torro-ski edits it. Show it to me anyway.