HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:10 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Discussion
Cressline F-20

anyone have any info on these kits? I'm looking into buying a complete kit for $400, but looking for any info on it before I make the purchase. my goal would be to convert to electric and I believe it was meant to house a Dynamax fan. I'm hoping someone on here will know if converting to electric is doable or even worth it. basically, the more info I can gather, the better I'll be able to make a more informed decision as to whether to purchase it or not.

thanks for any help you can give guys.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:41 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,416 Posts
LuvEvolution7, I came across this thread at RCU, its about a year old, but you might get in touch with this guy. It was his brothers, and he might have so kind of help full info. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10080530
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:46 PM
John Green
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2007
616 Posts
I have one in the attic a little way back in the building que. I bought it as a started kit on e-bay. I've been working on finding a good CG before I start the build. It says on the instructons to use the CG as listed on the print, but someone forgot to put the location on the print. The cores are cut with a location for the gear that looks to me to be flat wrong, but I've been unable to confirm. Where I think the gear should go is through the area of the wing spar.

I think it would be a good candidate for a Dynamax, that's what I'm going to use as the fuse has a lot of room inside for batteries.

John
PlumberJohn is offline Find More Posts by PlumberJohn
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:51 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,010 Posts
the cg on a F-20 is pretty far fwd ,due to the lift the LEX and the nose have.on my 70mm F-20 it was not too far behind the lex top wing break .there might be a pic in my Thread.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:01 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
The fuse is 97" long
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:03 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,010 Posts
yep they were bigg'ns
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:06 PM
John Green
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2007
616 Posts
Check the picture, to me it looks like the gear cutouts are too far forward. Backing them up puts them in the spar. Not a major problem to fix at the moment, but I don't want to start the wing until I'm happy with the layout.
PlumberJohn is offline Find More Posts by PlumberJohn
Last edited by PlumberJohn; Aug 19, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:09 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
do you think it's worth $400?..........Canadian of course. LOL.

apparantly, the plans, fuse, foam cores for all surfaces, all formers, all hardware and everything else you can think of comes with the kit.

if I get it, I will post the CG location for you John.

thanks for the link Cooler. I'll check it out.

Rich
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:11 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumberJohn View Post
Check the picture, to me it looks like the gear cutouts are too far forward. Backing them up puts them in the spar. Not a major problem to fix at the moment, but I don't want to start the wing until I'm happy with the layout.
ooooooooh, that's the F-5 kit, not the F-20. I like that too.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:17 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,416 Posts
His brotheres was a Saab Viggen, but I thought any info about Crestline would help. It was 64" long WS, 45", much smaller. Probably no help.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:22 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
the Viggen is a cool plane too. I've got plans to build one, that I bought when I was a kid. should do well on electric power, instead of a nitro 46.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,010 Posts
yeah that is a F-5 ...and man are those gear in the wrong place ...the C/G should be between the center of the wheel opening and the fwd edge of it .
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:02 AM
Scale Modeler
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
2,009 Posts
Rich, You better hurry up as he is getting shipping offers from other guys w/out seeing his stuff in person...
He will ship his stuff on us if we didn't get there asap!...
Concordefan is offline Find More Posts by Concordefan
Last edited by Concordefan; Dec 12, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:32 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumberJohn View Post

The correct scale position of the main gear would be BEHIND the spar slot, but that might be too far back for a model, would make rotation on takeoff harder unless you have the nose up high enough to get som positive incidence on the wing. There's a reason why the later versions of the F-5 had a nose gear that extended for takeoff adding 3 degrees of incidence on the wing.

But what you have there won't work out too well either as the cutouts are on or slightly in front of the CG location.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:29 AM
United States, GA, Calhoun
Joined Nov 2008
11 Posts
Cressline F-20

Hi Guys, The F-20 converted to EDF would be a lot better than the DF stuff with the power that's coming out of the Dynamaxes.
I built one of the F-20s when I 1st bought the molds, It flew OK for a few passes but was under powered with the DF konking out the whole flight then quitting all together and I had to make an off feild landing in rough ground that pan caked in and broke the nose off it. I think it would have been a good flyer if it had some more power behind it.
Anyway I moved on to other projects and was looking at converting all these old DF airframes to turbine which was Hot at the time but didnt feel it was worth the time and money to do so.
Now years later......the tide is turning and EDFs are getting hotter everyday and I have been bitten by the EDF bug too!
I think with the high power of the EDFs today they would get up and go, because they were designed with larger intakes to handle the FSA of DF and they have high lift airfoils to deal with the lower power of DFs at the time which were OS 65s and 77s.
I have all the molds for the Cressline/Flightec stuff , F-20, F-5, AJ37 and also the F-100.
SOOOOOOOO DO you guys think it would be worth the time and money for me to dig the molds out and build a few of these this winter?
I have so many projects I want to do this winter but dont have the time to do them all and cant decide whats 1st......EDF F-14....EDF A-6...EDF Falcon....EDF A-5...EDF F-20,F-5,F-100,AJ37.....LOL see my problem men...and the list goes on and on of the stuff I got crammed back in the shop.
I should have enough time to build about 2 jets before Fla Jets
skybouncer is online now Find More Posts by skybouncer