HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2011, 05:06 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,262 Posts
Discussion
Plastic pinions keep moving on motor shaft?

I have a lm100D02 and everytime it crashes the plastic pinions move on the motor shafts and start grinding into the other main gear or disengage from the main gear. I think this happens mainly because of Walkera's idiotic intentional throttle shutdown delay of 3 seconds which causes the heli to go skittering around and slamming into things everytime I crash even though I shut down the throttle before it hits the ground But thats another story.

Anyone know a good way to secure the pinions on the shaft so they won't slide up and down? I tried ca and hot glue but neither held for even one crash. the shafts are so small that drilling a hole for a pin would not be possible (for me) and I can't think of anything else short of finding some brass pinions of the correct size which would not be easy.
candy76man is offline Find More Posts by candy76man
Last edited by candy76man; Dec 11, 2011 at 05:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
CA won't bond to the gear plastic but it will bond to the shaft and unwaxed dental floss tied above and below the gear. Go around ~3 times. After tying trim closely so it can't tangle.

Intentional shutdown delay? What on earth is the purpose of that, except to sell more blades, heads, ESCs?
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
CA won't bond to the gear plastic but it will bond to the shaft and unwaxed dental floss tied above and below the gear. Go around ~3 times. After tying trim closely so it can't tangle.

Intentional shutdown delay? What on earth is the purpose of that, except to sell more blades, heads, ESCs?
Thanks I'll give that a try..I cut a small plastic spacer to go between pinion and motor that keeps them from working up to close to the can but the other way is where I can't seem to stop it.

They claim it is a feature for beginners to prevent the heli from dropping to the ground hard if you accidentally shut off the throttle (and it does do that) ..however much more damage is done by it thrashing around on the ground for 2-3 seconds after every crash than could ever occur from it dropping 5 or 6 feet. No way to defeat it either, it pretty much ruins what is other wise a pretty nice little coax. It also makes me afraid to fly it around any people, since I can't cut power to the blades instantly if it gets to close to someone.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:37 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
Quote:
however much more damage is done by it thrashing around on the ground
Have those people never FLOWN a helicopter? They bounce a lot cheaper than they thrash.

That's like selling a car with delayed brakes and calling it a safety feature to prevent getting rearended.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:57 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Have those people never FLOWN a helicopter? They bounce a lot cheaper than they thrash.

That's like selling a car with delayed brakes and calling it a safety feature to prevent getting rearended.
I know, thats why I am pissed about it....it's stupid but no one will admit it. Ehirobo where I bought it just says it's a beginners feature like it's a great idea , they won't admit it's a problem...wowhobbies has told people the same thing about it here...I even sent a email to Walkera asking how to disable it and what they were thinking but have gotten no reply after a week.

The worst part is it's not documented anywhere, theres nothing in the manual about it, nothing in ehirobos description or on walkeras website, that I could find anyway, so I had no way of knowing it would be like this and it's not worth the expense of sending it back to ehirobo overseas for a refund, although if they're sticking by the "it's a feature" line I doubt they would refund me anyway.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:39 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
That's almost surely burned into the controller firmware so there's not going to be a way to disable it.

Some $20 3ch infrareds have the opposite feature; if the gyro detects an impact it shuts the motors off FOR you. THAT'S a beginner feature.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:11 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,262 Posts
I ordered some brass pinions from a swedish company that makes them to order so that should solve that problem at least...nothing I've tried has kept them from sliding on the shaft after a crash while the blades are slamming into things until the motors stop. I guess I just have to get used to the throttle shutoff delay if I want to get my money's worth out of this thing.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,262 Posts
brass pinions worked out good, at least I don't have to reposition the pinions after every crash now.