trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:40 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
From what I remember of using it on Guillow kits, silkspan tends to shrink much like heavyweight tissue -quite aggressively compared to something like Litespan. Maybe I'd better replace the balsa longerons with bass or spruce. Or add a couple more uprights/cross braces.

The metal panels are looking really good. The louvres were always going to be an awkward job, depending on how soft the aluminium/litho plate is.

Pete
With a different covering it might not have been an issue since it didn't start wrinkling until the third coat of dope. I was counting on it shrinking some but I've only used lightweight silkspan in the past. That stuff only takes about three coats to seal but this standard weight stuff takes eight. Getting the tissue wet and letting it dry that many times may be taking it's toll on the weaker areas. I noticed Darrin using Coverlite on his latest DR.I build, which I believe is the same as Litespan, and it looks really good so I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks for the props on the metal panels. That was another step like fabricating the skids. When you haven't done something before, coming up with the method takes longer than actually doing it. Now I've acquired another tool in my technique box. This model is providing a lot of opportunities for that.

Mike
crawlspace is offline Find More Posts by crawlspace