HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Pete,

Vey nice work on the Eastbourne, thanks for giving me something to work towards. I'm going to give that swirl finish a try, do you think the Chiribiri would have the straight rows or random? I'll also be using your method for fabricating the dash, this will be my first model with one. I haven't had any luck finding litho plate and all of the foil trays I've found have embossed designs on them. I did find some 36ga (.005") aluminum tooling foil on ebay though, do you think that is thick enough?

I wasn't quite sure what GRP was so I looked it up. After ruling out Gastrin-Releasing Peptide and Glucose-Regulated Protein I went with Glass Reinforced Plastic, thats fiberglass to us Yanks.

Mike
crawlspace is offline Find More Posts by crawlspace
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Mike,
Would the aluminium from a soda can work? (redbull)
I have used it for cowls but I have never tried to add louvers to it but I'm sure it would be possible (with a bit of practise).
Nice work on your build so far!
-Reuben
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:32 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
Al soda cans can work if you can keep them from cracking around the louvers. Maybe annealing them first?
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:43 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben199 View Post
Mike,
Would the aluminium from a soda can work? (redbull)
I have used it for cowls but I have never tried to add louvers to it but I'm sure it would be possible (with a bit of practise).
Nice work on your build so far!
-Reuben
Thanks Reuben, using a soda can has crossed my mind and I haven't ruled it out yet but, as Charlie pointed out, they tear really easy and would require some work to prohibit that. I also need four pieces that are about 8"x8" so I would have to drain some 40's to get pieces that large, if I haven't figured something out by this weekend I may have to upgrade from my usual 16's. Wife sez "Don't you think you've had enough?" and I sez "But honey, I need these cans for the build!" Yeah, that'll work.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:37 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Progress continues. The aft fuselage sections have been attached and trussed up, now I can finish sheeting the bottom. The provided precut tail inserts were too short to fit the openings I ended up with so new ones were cut from the leftover 3/32 balsa of the rib sheets.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 01:34 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Additional 3/32 balsa sheeting is added to the bottom of the fuse to form an equipment access opening followed by 1/8" balsa capstrips on the bottom longerons, a sanding bar is used to feather it all in. The two holes are for the wing warping wires
Old Mar 04, 2012, 03:29 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
Mike,
I have no idea what's going on with those 3/32 inserts. The ones on the parts drawing fit the plan perfectly well. I know the cutting process causes a little loss at the pointy end, but it shouldn't be anything like as much as that. Maybe it's to do with how much, or how little, the inner sides are bevelled where they form the tailpost? Or maybe it isn't.

Whatever the cause, it wouldn't really have mattered that much. The lower one simply serves as a gusset and the upper one is really there to fill the space behind the tailplane - and provide more gluing area for the tailplane.
So, what Mike has done is how I intended it to be, but if future builders prefer to use the cut parts, that's fine too.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:15 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Mike,
I have no idea what's going on with those 3/32 inserts. The ones on the parts drawing fit the plan perfectly well. I know the cutting process causes a little loss at the pointy end, but it shouldn't be anything like as much as that. Maybe it's to do with how much, or how little, the inner sides are bevelled where they form the tailpost? Or maybe it isn't.

Whatever the cause, it wouldn't really have mattered that much. The lower one simply serves as a gusset and the upper one is really there to fill the space behind the tailplane - and provide more gluing area for the tailplane.
So, what Mike has done is how I intended it to be, but if future builders prefer to use the cut parts, that's fine too.

Pete
Pete,
I think your right, if I had bevelled the tailposts more they would have fit. Since I didn't take enough off I'll have to add an additional bit of balsa to extend the tail enough to be tapered into the rudder. I did notice the bottom insert should be 1/8" longer than the top one due to the 10 degree taper of the bottom longeron.

Mike
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:11 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
For the equipment hatch I added 1/16" basswood strips along the underside of the 3/32" sheeting around the hatch opening. I then cut a piece of 1/16" balsa the size of the opening, set it in and drilled two holes for magnets through both. To match the 3/32" sheeting I skinned the 1/8" hatch cover with 1/32" balsa crossgrain. Two tabs of basswood atop a 1/16" balsa rail lock in the rear of the cover, an additional strip of balsa was added to the bottom of the cover to prevent warping.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlspace View Post
For the equipment hatch I added 1/16" basswood strips along the underside of the 3/32" sheeting around the hatch opening. I then cut a piece of 1/16" balsa the size of the opening, set it in and drilled two holes for magnets through both. To match the 3/32" sheeting I skinned the 1/8" hatch cover with 1/32" balsa crossgrain. Two tabs of basswood atop a 1/16" balsa rail lock in the rear of the cover, an additional strip of balsa was added to the bottom of the cover to prevent warping.
Clever hatch Mike. How to you get it open? I don't see the handle.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:47 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffboy View Post
Clever hatch Mike. How to you get it open? I don't see the handle.
I was going to carve a notch in the magnet side of the hatch opening to fit a coin or something into but I can get it open with a knife blade as is. Since it's only an equipment hatch and i don't plan on getting in there very often I'll just leave it because I think it looks cleaner without one. Now I've got to come up with something for the battery up top, I'll probably do something similar that's incorporated into the scuttle. BTW, got any good leads on some litho plate? It's like looking for polaroid film, nobody uses the stuff anymore.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:56 PM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlspace View Post
I was going to carve a notch in the magnet side of the hatch opening to fit a coin or something into but I can get it open with a knife blade as is. Since it's only an equipment hatch and i don't plan on getting in there very often I'll just leave it because I think it looks cleaner without one. Now I've got to come up with something for the battery up top, I'll probably do something similar that's incorporated into the scuttle. BTW, got any good leads on some litho plate? It's like looking for polaroid film, nobody uses the stuff anymore.
Good point about how infrequently you'll be getting in there, so the pry technique makes sense. Have you looked at Micromark for litho plate? I see stainless here http://www.micromark.com/stainless-s...of-2,8349.html. Found some aluminum here https://www.graphicchemical.com/shop...raphic++Plates. I'd be up for going in on some with you. I'm sure I'll use it eventually.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:29 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,635 Posts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LITHO-PLAT...item4cff128e92

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCRATCH-BU...item4cfefc8d08

Now all you need is someone in the UK to post it on.
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:21 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Thanks Matt for digging around. The stuff at MicroMark is too narrow for my application but litho plate from GraphicChemical is the stuff I'm looking for, abeit on the pricey side. Based on the stuff Pete found on ebay (why only in the UK?) aluminum tooling foil is only .001" thinner than litho plate so now I'm on the prowl for some of that. I've found some on ebay but by the sheet it isn't cheap either so I've got my eye on a 10' roll of it that hopefully I can win for a decent price. If it gets too steep I may take you up your offer to go in on some.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:57 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Jan 2009
356 Posts
Pete,
While sanding the fuse I noticed something that I knew was there but hadn't mentioned yet. Some of the light ply pieces came warped but I thought I could force them straight during assembly. I did all right with the ribs since the twin spar arrangement pulls everything into alignment but the fuse sides aren't having it. I have full contact around the cockpit floor so the sides are flat along the bottom but the cockpit opening doesn't have anything spanwise to push/pull them straight so one bows in while the other bows out. Aside from using different material, you could mirror one of the sides on the parts layout then they would be bowing opposite of each other.

Mike