HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2003, 04:55 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
New addition to my Hangar

Attached are a few snapshots of my Compulsion. 124 in FS01 airfoil, adjustable tailhook and a little paint, otherwise stock.

Still need to fiddle with a few things but ought to be flying this weekend.

I must say Fred Sage provides both a supurb kit and endless patienience answering my questions in a very timely manner.

Flight reports to follow this weekend!
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2003, 04:58 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
See Ya'll at the TNT...
Last edited by Dan Ahearn; Sep 30, 2003 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 05:29 PM
Pueblo, Colorado, United States
Joined Aug 2003
33 Posts
Some addition

MAN Dan, that's one beautiful sailplane. Looking forward to your flight report! FF
flightfreek is offline Find More Posts by flightfreek
Old Sep 30, 2003, 06:09 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Nice looking plane, Dan !

Just one question :

Do you land on carriers ?
Quote:
adjustable tailhook

Michael
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Sep 30, 2003, 07:02 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
HA!

As a matter of fact yes

how Freudian
Old Oct 03, 2003, 08:25 PM
Upper Michigan
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
You may have stumbled onto a new landing task- Carrier! Maximum points for a 3-wire, less for 1,2 or 4, zero if you land short or miss the wires. Should put an end to spearing the spot!

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline Find More Posts by kingbee
Old Oct 04, 2003, 05:46 AM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Even more interesting would be the launches with the tailhook............

MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Old Oct 04, 2003, 07:51 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Had a few hand tosses this evening. Made my Spirt Elite seem like a plastic trash bag by comparison. L/D is amazing!

Weighs in at 62.3 oz. In search of a winch as SLNT tomorrow!
Old Oct 05, 2003, 01:16 AM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2002
758 Posts
There was a movie about the Balkans conflict a few years ago...they had scene where one of the pilots put a football on the catapult and launched it...wonder if its possible to launch a fast glider like a molded sloper off one on a recreation day.

I'm sure someone's tried it....it must get boring out in the middle of an ocean with nothing to do.

;-)

Shane
shaneyee is offline Find More Posts by shaneyee
Old Oct 08, 2003, 01:52 PM
LSF - IV
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
And now for a flight report!

Originally I was planning on my first flight to be on a winch as several folks had advised due to the aggressive launch attitude this ship is famous for.

But after I conferred with Fred and concluded that with the adjustable tow hook forward a bit and a ready hand on the elevator I'd be OK.

This being my 1st high performance model I was nervous but decided I couldn't wait for the winch so I drug out the bungee this AM.

Into an 8 MPH breeze I let her rip into the partly cloudy morning sky. Predictably, she went up on a rail however, my tentative, unmanly pull, yielded a mediocre launch height of maybe 100 feet. Even so I stumbled into lift and thrashed around for 8 minutes getting a feel for things.

On the ground I put in some expo on the stab, doubled my pull for a proper launch and gave her a toss.

Once again, on a rail she went, nearly vertical and easily as high as anything I ever launched on a highstart. Once I sorted out the proper airspeed to fly I found I was able to find lift, core it then dart across the field to the next bit of lift.

As a guy who’s never flown anything beyond the Sprit Elite, I can now say I get it; this is flying at a whole new level. The speed range alone frankly blew me away, camber and reflex made moving around the field a breeze. I was amazed how much a difference it made. I was also impressed with how easily this thing signals lift, with the CG Fred recommends, you'd have to be blind man not to find lift.

I was very impressed with how using Fred’s setup notes the ship is very close to perfect out of the box. It usually takes me weeks to tweak a model as the kit plans are so far off on things like CG.

Finally, I must admit that I was a bit intimidated by a model of this caliber, wondering if I had the skills to fly such a hot ship. For anyone considering moving to the next level, I highly recommend this kit. Fred's customer service is legendary. I cannot tell you how many inane questions he answered in a timely manner.

I have a whole lot more to learn, but making the jump to the next level could not have been easier.

From a highly satisfied Sage customer!!

Dan
Last edited by Dan Ahearn; Oct 08, 2003 at 02:37 PM.