HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PyroMan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:32 PM
United States, KY, Paducah
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Discussion
LiPo Charging Box . . .

So here's my lipo charging box. It's made out of an old military ammo box. I have my Dynam Supermate mounted to the side using a bent piece of aluminium that sticks into the fins on the side of the charger. The aluminum is then bolted to the side of the ammo box. I cut two holes in the ammo box, put in rubber grommets, and then slipped the wires though.
I have Ziplocks covered in duct tape (so they don't tear) filled with sand lining the inside of the box. This is that if I ever have a lipo fire I hope that the fire would burn through the ziplocks, and that the sand will pour over the lipo diminishing the fire.
Yeah, that's about it . . . here are some pictures . . .
PyroMan is offline Find More Posts by PyroMan
Last edited by PyroMan; Dec 11, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,857 Posts
Pictures?

Pictures? Pictures? I see no sinking pictures! Hey, who is running this outfit anyway? I want pictures! LOL, Cheek and Chong.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Pictures? Pictures? I see no sinking pictures! Hey, who is running this outfit anyway? I want pictures! LOL, Cheek and Chong.
Hahaha.
I must've hit submit before the pics were done uploading. Do you know if I can attach pictures without deleting the post and re-doing it?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:02 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,857 Posts
More Pictures and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Hahaha. I must've hit submit before the pics were done uploading. Do you know if I can attach pictures without deleting the post and re-doing it?
I will assume you are new to how this posting thingy works. Any post you make you can "edit". Select edit and then select the option to ... "Go Advanced". The page will change and you will see below this edit box a list of options. To add pictures, move down a bit and select "Manage Attachments". You will see a new window pop up and there will be 5 browse buttons that will call up a window showing a directory from your computer. If you have the pictures in your picture file (or else where), go there and select one at a time, up to five. Select download and wait.

When the window changes and shows your pictures you have a chance to add some words next to each picture. When done select save under the last picture. When the save has finished, close the window (top of window, option). The last step is to "Save Changes" under this window, next to "Preview Changes". You may want to change the "Notification Type" before you select "Save Changes" to "Instant email notification". That way you will get an email as soon as anyone adds a comment to the thread.
Last edited by Tsavah; Dec 11, 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I have a similar setup with a .50 cal ammo box.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
I will assume you are new to how this posting thingy works. Any post you make you can "edit". Select edit and then select the option to ... "Go Advanced". The page will change and you will see below this edit box a list of options. To add pictures, move down a bit and select "Manage Attachments". You will see a new window pop up and there will be 5 browse buttons that will call up a window showing a directory from your computer. If you have the pictures in your picture file (or else where), go there and select one at a time, up to five. Select download and wait.

When the window changes and shows your pictures you have a chance to add some words next to each picture. When done select save under the last picture. When the save has finished, close the window (top of window, option). The last step is to "Save Changes" under this window, next to "Preview Changes". You may want to change the "Notification Type" before you select "Save Changes" to "Instant email notification". That way you will get an email as soon as anyone adds a comment to the thread.
Thanks for the help!

P.S. Im not new, just never had to re-attach photos
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:52 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,427 Posts
Great idea. I use the exact same ammo box, but actually attaching the charger is pretty neat!

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:48 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Great posting, thanks. I use the same kind of ammo boxes for storing and transporting my lipos and had been thinking of setting one up to charge as well.

The sand is interesting idea. Have you had one burn inside an ammo box? I was thinking that if it catches fire, it's already ruined and the fire is contained within the ammo box so I wasn't as worried about a sand retardant.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Great idea. I use the exact same ammo box, but actually attaching the charger is pretty neat!

Odd
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Great posting, thanks. I use the same kind of ammo boxes for storing and transporting my lipos and had been thinking of setting one up to charge as well.

The sand is interesting idea. Have you had one burn inside an ammo box? I was thinking that if it catches fire, it's already ruined and the fire is contained within the ammo box so I wasn't as worried about a sand retardant.
Nope, never had a lipo catch fire anywhere. When I went to build this charger I looked around on RCg and just googled it and I saw where someone used sand. I thought it was a great idea so I went with it. Even if it doesn't completely put the fire out, I would think it would help with heat dissipation so that stuff around the outside of the box does not get hot/catch fire.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:14 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,857 Posts
Sandbag and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroMan View Post
Thanks! Nope, never had a LiPo catch fire anywhere. When I went to build this charger I looked around on RCG and just Google'd it and I saw where someone used sand. I thought it was a great idea so I went with it. Even if it doesn't completely put the fire out, I would think it would help with heat dissipation so that stuff around the outside of the box does not get hot/catch fire.
Interesting idea to use sand to smoother a LiPo fire/burn off. I suppose it could work if enough sand kept oxygen away from the lithium. There is another idea going about on Youtube and other sources that may be more practical. Put the LiPo in a charging/storage bag first, close the flap, and close the ammo box lid. If you know someone doing ceramics, ask them to cook up a clay box with a lid for the inside of your ammo box. Square like clay pots with good lids are hard to find, so it will be a custom fit project. A small slot on the top lip, or cut out will be necessary for wires to pass through, but you want to keep it a little tight for best results. Some folks have been using clay plant pots and a clay saucer that normally goes under the clay pot as a lid. Fire brick are another option, as are tile. Silicon glue is very heat resistant, so it can be used to glue clay tile into a charging box. I am sure others can come up with more ideas, like casting a thin cement/concrete box that fits your ammo box.
Last edited by Tsavah; Dec 12, 2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling ...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Interesting idea to use sand to smoother a LiPo fire/burn off. I suppose it could work if enough sand kept oxygen away from the lithium. There is another idea going about on Youtube and other sources that may be more practical. Put the LiPo in a charging/storage bag first, close the flap, and close the ammo box lid. If you know someone doing ceramics, ask them to cook up a clay box with a lid for the inside of your ammo box. Square like clay pots with good lids are hard to find, so it will be a custom fit project. A small slot on the top lip, or cut out will be necessary for wires to pass through, but you want to keep it a little tight for best results. Some folks have been using clay plant pots and a clay saucer that normally goes under the clay pot as a lid. Fire brick are another option, as are tile. Silicon glue is very heat resistant, so it can be used to glue clay tile into a charging box. I am sure others can come up with more ideas, like casting a thin cement/concrete box that fits your ammo box.
The reason I did what I did versus a lipo sack is because I didnt want to spend any money. I had all the materials at the house, so I just kinda went with it.
I do like the ceramic's idea though. I did some pottery and ceramics over the summer, if I had thought of this I would've made a box like you said to slip in the ammo box. . . I do have a dozen or two 1inch thick firebricks around my house so that may be a good alternative . . .