HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:07 AM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Discussion
TD sailplanes flap/spoilers

Been too many years since I was into TD. Not sure about the elevator pitch when flaps-down or ailerons up as spoilers. Anybody please?
Thanks,
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,563 Posts
*Most* of the time spoilers want some up, is varies with the airplane.

Flaps want some down.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:20 PM
Bremen/Germany
Joined Apr 2004
476 Posts
Rich,

to be a bit more elaborate ;-) :

- Air brakes usually require not much extra trim
- Flaps down alone(!) as air brakes may require a small down trim
- Ailerons up require a substantial down trim (10% to even 30%) as the intrinsic "nose down" action of a "lifting" airfoil is changed into a "nose up" action due to the resulting "S-shape" airfoil.
- "Butterfly" or "Crow" configuration, flaps down and ailerons up, require the same down trim as for ailerons up alone.

Happy landings
Herbert
h.eberbach is offline Find More Posts by h.eberbach
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
Rich
USA, SC, Lexington
Joined Sep 2001
1,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.eberbach View Post
Rich,

to be a bit more elaborate ;-) :

- Air brakes usually require not much extra trim
- Flaps down alone(!) as air brakes may require a small down trim
- Ailerons up require a substantial down trim (10% to even 30%) as the intrinsic "nose down" action of a "lifting" airfoil is changed into a "nose up" action due to the resulting "S-shape" airfoil.
- "Butterfly" or "Crow" configuration, flaps down and ailerons up, require the same down trim as for ailerons up alone.

Happy landings
Herbert
Thanks for the response. I think there is a misunderstanding tween ailerons up as spoilers and actual spoilers. Your quote is, I believe, correct.
Rich
flycracker is offline Find More Posts by flycracker
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:27 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,132 Posts
The pitch response will depend to some extent on the design. I used to have a t tailed glider that had almost no pitch change with spoiler application. (top of wing spoilers) Usually you need a lot of up elevator to compensate for spoilers, especially with an Ava. When using flaps down and ailerons up, the gliders I've flown have all required a fair amount of down elevator to compensate.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member