HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Discussion
Photos, Test Flight/Test Flight, Photos?

So, here is a question for people who still build, whether from scratch/kit or from ARFs RTFs.

When do you take a picture of the completed model? 1). Before the test flight? 2). After the test flight?

I take them before, figuring the airplane will never look better and may even not exist after the test hop, so now is the time! Other's talk about being superstitious and that photographing previouis to the test flight, is a sure way of having the test flight go bad!

Not having a superstitious nature and never having seen evidence; or, an incedence to support the photo previous to test flight being any harder on airplanes then the other, I feel no reason to delay taking pictures previous to the test flight!

So, what do you think?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:52 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,006 Posts
Not a problem. Just ask anyone for a stick of Beemans.
David A Ramsey is offline Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Yes, and I can even find Beemans! Great gum, flavor doesn't last very long though, about the length of a test flight!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Wow, only one person (other than myself) has any input into this conroversial subject?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:38 PM
Re-kitting Expert
USA, CA, California City
Joined Jul 2009
165 Posts
I always take photos before the first flight. Gives me a reference to work from if needed later...
Tarasdad is offline Find More Posts by Tarasdad
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:41 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,428 Posts
Always before, just in case it ends up as a black bag job. No superstitions either- my flying will kill a model long before fate/karma/inherent perversity of the universe-even has the opportunity to have a swipe at it.

Odd
wizard of odd is online now Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:13 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,278 Posts
I take photos of the build as I go, mainly for self-glorification via a build thread.

I have my maiden flight before I paint it because:
its a bit lighter so it will fly better,
if its written off I have less wasted effort,
if it needs modification or repair I won't have to re-do a fancy paint job.

Years of mostly successful maiden flights have removed any superstition I used to have.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:40 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Any true aviator is superstitious, whether that applies to other areas of their lives or not. Its just the way things are

Logic would say before the first flight, but then that superstition sneaks in and has a hand and ruining things.

Its like fishing for me, the word gaff had disastrous consequences. Would be hooked up to a rampaging fish, 700m of line out and slowly getting this fish back. As soon as that word gaff was mentioned was the start of the end. Don't have those dramas anymore-can't remember the last time I had a fish, let alone one of those fish
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Actually, the two airplanes I can recall, that I crashed on the first flight were airplanes that I did not take photos of! So, your right, I am superstitious! I believe that if I do not take a photo of a new airplane previous to the test hop, my odds of crashing on the first flight are significantly raised! The fact that this is in opposition to many people's thoughts on this phenomena makes it no less a superstition!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
...any input into this conroversial subject?
Hum, I've always just assumed that you took pictures BEFORE the first flight....Never crossed my mind to take them afterwards.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,820 Posts
If you take the photos first, you might be more likely to engage in risky behavior since you already took the photos, thus the preponderance to crash more often.

I do the as-built photos for myself as much as for putting into build threads. The pre-flight photo is just the capstone of the construction process. I take photos afterwards too.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
Now I've never even thought of any of this. So will have to decide which way to go when I maiden mine. I'll put a lucky horseshoe in it how's that?
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Yes, it is a very serious matter! One miss-step and superstition can creep into your reality amd cripple you for life!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:30 AM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
I take pics before the first flight and add the details and a final pic after the first flight.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
842 Posts
I'm no where as experienced as most of you but I would be taking some photos first. Just because I'd be proud of what I've done. Second...in case there is a "mishap" I have some nice photos.

A crash is always a possibility and having a rabbit's foot in your pocket during it's maiden won't make it fly better. If mine crashes it's because of two things.

1. My building skills were lacking.

2. My flying skills were lacking.

I know some of you superstitious folks are cringing right now! Sorry!

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting