HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:05 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
G-Force shipped several weeks ago, back when we released 2.04 for the DX8. I know they sold a PILE of them right out of the gate. You're gonna have fun playing with it in your Stryker. (Use the 40G one...)

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Oh, those are POWER CONSUMER tubes, not POWER GENERATOR ones.

English is such a fun language!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:41 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Oh, those are POWER CONSUMER tubes, not POWER GENERATOR ones.

English is such a fun language!

Andy
Dont be silly, Valves dont "Create" Power!

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:47 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
I didn't realize you guys had a law like that. What a shame I thought the EU folks were much more interested in privacy. Or is Romania not part of EU yet?

Andy
its an fcc mandate for here in the usa. i dont know about romania.

http://blog.brickhousesecurity.com/2...quired-by-law/

and not just smartphones but ALL types of cell phones. although the law is technically not in effect yet every model has one. and has for some years now. ive picked up several dozen cell phones on ebay and flea markets and every single one without exception had a gps module inside. whenever i see a phone for $1-$3 i grab it because its by far cheapest source of gps modules.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:42 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,272 Posts
Thank you Dave, was night here when the question was placed, to reply in time.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:13 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
lol! i knew you were up to something when i got your pm. thought id bail you out since i was the one that got you jammed up in the first place. hahaha!

i suspect that even if countries like romania dont actually have a law they still have gps in all the phones. like the law says only 85% are required to have them but mfg are putting them in 100%. in any case im happy because it drove the price of new ones down and i can get used modules for pennies now.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
ive picked up several dozen cell phones on ebay and flea markets and every single one without exception had a gps module inside. whenever i see a phone for $1-$3 i grab it because its by far cheapest source of gps modules.
One of the joys of an old phone. I didn't replace my analog cell until the phone company GAVE me my trusty Nokia 1112.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:10 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
telmetry speed measurement

What kind of sensor do you need to read speed?

What kind of display is available?

Can an onboard device store the maximum speed achieved during a flight, like dynamic soaring or racing, and display it later after landing?
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:12 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,207 Posts
Interesting that you decide not to answer my question about the capacity sensor.

So, here is a little comparison, what different brands have to offer now:

Spektrum:

(Additional telemetry module is needed to use telemetry.)

-Battery voltage
-Temperature
-Signal quality (via telemetry module)
-RPM sensor (magnetic)
-Airspeed sensor
-Altimeter sensor

Source:
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSM/Technology/telemetry.aspx

-Announced: GPS sensor

Jeti Duplex:

Integrated in every reciever:

-RX voltage
-Signal level

Telemetry has the same range as the RX itself. Even the smallest ones have more than 1000m/3000ft.

Sensors to be directly connected to RX:

-Electric sensors, each capable of simultaneously checking voltage, current, and capacity. Available in different sizes for currents up to 30A (stamp sized), 50A, 75A, 150A, 200A (matchbox sized).

-GPS sensor
-RPM sensor (optic)
-RPM sensor (to be connected to 2 phases of BL motor)
-Airsped sensor
-Temperature sensor (up to 125C)
-Temperature sensor (up to 300C)
-MU3 sensor (monitors 3 different voltages)
-Multi 6s sensor (monitors each cell voltage of up to 6s packs)
-Variometer (altimeter with vario function)
-Onbord voltage regulator (monitors input/output voltage, and it's temperature)

Up to 4 sensors can be connected to one reciever using the expander module.

Source:
http://jetimodel.com/index.php?page=...ategory=75&p=1

Announced: Various ESCs with integrated telemetry.

Now, Andy, frankly speaking - Can you tell me why I tend to find Jeti's range of sensors more compelling than Spektrum's?

Most severe is the lack of any sensor able to measure current or capacity. Voltage alone is a pretty bad method when trying to determine any battery's state of charge. What if one wants to fly a new and an old battery packs, with different voltages, in one plane? The voltage is different, and differs even more when the ambient temperature changes, one installs another motor setup, etc. Hardly possible to determine the exact point of 80% up to which a Lipo should be used.

With Jeti's sensors, one programmes a specific capacity, say 800mAh on a 1000mAh pack, and gets an alarm when exactly 800mAh are used up.
It works just perfectly. One has a 100% reliable fuel gauge that way.

A very neat thing was discovered by turbine guys: The volume of fuel pumped is almost perfectly linear to the electric capacity used by the pump. So one puts the sensor in front of the fuel pump, and can thus use it as a indirect fuel gauge. Say, the rate is 500mAh per liter. If one has a 2.5 liter tank, one sets the alarm to 1000mAh, and will be accurately warned when 2 liters of fuel are used up.

Quote:
[]Maybe this year you'll see even more reasons there to move to the top radio brand!

Andy
Thanks for the laugh! You are always good for jokes like that!
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Last edited by Julez; Dec 21, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:05 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,272 Posts
Because you seems missed my post in first page, #12, reposting here once again:

You might find useful my matrix spreadsheet:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529962

And everyone is welcomed to notice me missing or wrong info there.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:43 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,207 Posts
Thank you for your work, a good comparison.

The only things I find missing is the acoustic alarm "TX module buzzer", the MU 3 multiple voltages sensor, and the voltage regulator with its sensors, all for Jeti.
And I think that each Graupner Hott RX has a temperature sensor in it. At least the bigger ones.
Perhaps you should note for Hott if some of the individually listed functions are integrated in the main Hubs, otherwise noone knows directly what they can do.
And the speech output is integrated in the radios, no extra price here.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:53 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,272 Posts
For certain radios, the newest, not for all !
I can use HoTT for a JR, for example, speach is an extra device, right ?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:21 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
What I am looking for is an audible alarm when my aircraft exceeds 400' aside from that I wouldn't mind being able to down load GPS and altitude readings to my computer for midnite review of the previous days flying... Just what would I need to accomplish this? I'm thinking of getting a new Dx8, but don't know what else would need to be purchased.

KKKKFL
have a look a this web site; the fy31ap auto pilot, it has gps built-in, you can upload co-ordinates, not sure if you can download same.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Thanks for the laugh! You are always good for jokes like that!
lol! now where did i hear that before?????

i must say i have a spektrum and it worked fine for me. you probably dont want to know why it was given to me though!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:48 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Most severe is the lack of any sensor able to measure current or capacity. Voltage alone is a pretty bad method when trying to determine any battery's state of charge. What if one wants to fly a new and an old battery packs, with different voltages, in one plane? The voltage is different, and differs even more when the ambient temperature changes, one installs another motor setup, etc. Hardly possible to determine the exact point of 80% up to which a Lipo should be used.

With Jeti's sensors, one programmes a specific capacity, say 800mAh on a 1000mAh pack, and gets an alarm when exactly 800mAh are used up.
It works just perfectly. One has a 100% reliable fuel gauge that way.
Mah used doesnt mean much if you have a bad cell/pack/not fully charged battery.

Granted most of the time mah is more important , It would have been nice to have both, but voltage under load does help tell you things like that
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach