SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:30 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
It was a hand-me-down from my father's best friend. He went to 72 and gave me his 27 gear. Most of my flying was at the house (Dad's house overlooks a large grass valley) so it didn't matter to me anyway.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:05 AM
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2011
980 Posts
DX7s vs DX8

Hey Andy,

Just won a new DX7s at Hobby Hangar Silent Auction (fund raiser for local hospital ped's ward).

Other than one less channel than the DX8 - what is the difference between the two transmitters?

Is there any difference between the telemetry capabilities?
JimMcWhorter is offline Find More Posts by JimMcWhorter
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:31 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
It's fun to see Spektrum driving discussions here, when they are the last in the telemetry field, with a not so great system, and weakest sensors offering.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
Hi Jim,

Congrats on the win! (And thanks for supporting the hospital - my 2nd daughter spent quite a bit of time at a children's hospital when she was born so this is a special cause for me).

There is no difference between them regarding telemetry capabilities. They support the same sensors (and will continue to do so), same alarms, same everything. I'm trying to keep all three radios together that way - it is the exact same source file for all three radios.

I'm not going to remember everything, I know. The differences are the backlight added in the DX8, the number of models (20 vs. 30), some features are always symmetrical (Expo, D/R) on the DX7s but can be different on the DX8. There are some wing/tail type limitations on the DX7s due to having 1 fewer channel.

Renatoa - thanks for the laugh! You are always good for jokes like that!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:57 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
What kind of flight pack capacity sensors or GPS sensors does Spektrum offer?
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
We announced a 3D GPS sensor at Nuremberg last year, Julez. Did you miss it? It's in the final stages - something you probably missed in the DX8 thread.

Maybe this year you'll see even more reasons there to move to the top radio brand!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
Good joke too, you compete with me
When today any smartphone must be fitted with a GPS by law, and this is $10 value, and of course is 3D, because it works any position the owner keep the phone... you fool your fans that a 3D GPS is rocket science and need one year research, probably to justify its price when issued.
I hope you will not use the same lame approach as Hitec, using 3GPS units placed as a cube, meanwhile maybe your engineers found from forums that a today GPS is able to receive in any position.
And still wondering who needs GPS position when doing hower... to add that 3D marketing BS to the label.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
I didn't realize you guys had a law like that. What a shame I thought the EU folks were much more interested in privacy. Or is Romania not part of EU yet?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:19 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
I meant US, you don't know your own regulations ?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
I don't use smart phones. I like my Nokia 1112.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
I still have a bag phone powered by Vacuum Tubes!

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:09 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,455 Posts
I always thought of vacuum tubes as a power SINK not a power SOURCE. Do you realize you could solve the energy crisis!!! We could go back to the 1950's and have all the power we need. 5 cent gas all over again!!!!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:21 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
I meant US, you don't know your own regulations ?
Could you cite where you saw that ? As for telemetry , Spektrum seems to offer:

Temp
Pack Voltage
Receiver Voltage
Optical RPM
Brushless RPM
Some sort of signal strength
Airspeed
Altitude
GPS (upcoming)
G-Force (upcoming)

They seem to have more sensors or at worst give and take to be equal to Hobbyking/FRSKY and Hitec, and at first I didnt care for the TM1000 module, but since it also acts as a hub its really not taking any more space than the other systems and it gives you backwards compatibility with older receivers.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
Villain Extraordinaire
Hell, Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2011
171 Posts
I just love it when a discussion gets all 'hot & bothered' ... gets me all hot & bothered
DeadByDawn is offline Find More Posts by DeadByDawn
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:04 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I always thought of vacuum tubes as a power SINK not a power SOURCE. Do you realize you could solve the energy crisis!!! We could go back to the 1950's and have all the power we need. 5 cent gas all over again!!!!

Andy
They beat us to it! http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9780849313455

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)