Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
0Gravity
Orlando, Florida
Joined Feb 2008
710 Posts
Cool
Hobbyking Yak 54 30ep 1280mm (ARF) - Crash

Always re-enforce your motor mount!!!!

RC Crash Hobbyking 1280mm Electric RC YAK54 - RC Plane Crash (5 min 24 sec)
budkeywest is offline Find More Posts by budkeywest
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:53 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,693 Posts
Interesting. There has been a lot of discussion regarding HK vs. the world. Nuf said.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by budkeywest View Post
Always re-enforce your motor mount on hk planes!!!!
there ya go, fixed it for ya
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:16 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,495 Posts
You might want to check the precision Aerobatics Ultimate AMR thread before you come to the conclusion that's it's only HK that has exploding motor box problems. PA actually now give you a little piece of glass cloth with the kit and instructions on how to glass the motor box, then say that the motor box is plenty strong enough without it!.. go figure

That's just an example of a fault with one of the 'big three' manufacturers products, I could list a few from personal experience. Point is that no-one is immune from quality issues (and the occasional design issue) slipping through the net.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to say that HK have plenty of quality issues that they should sort out. At least with HK you can partly justify having to sort out a few issues by the fact the stuff is dirt cheap in the first place.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:31 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,573 Posts
I can say from experience you are not going to get a 3DHS plane to do that. I have 5 of there planes and there are all build as 3DHS instructions say. I take my 51'' V1 yellow slick out and some times do nothing but KE spines at full throttle over and over again and blenders at full throttle and all kind of snaps at full throttle and have yet to have anything break on me yet. The same can be said of my other planes minus two I just got to build this winter for next year. which I am sure will be just as good if not better.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:31 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to say that HK have plenty of quality issues that they should sort out. At least with HK you can partly justify having to sort out a few issues by the fact the stuff is dirt cheap in the first place.
If this was a 3DHS plane and this video came out, they would send you a motor box kit free of charge, no questions asked. I just read today on the 41" Edge thread that after a guy CRASHED his plane due to his own error, 3DHS was going to ship him the parts he needed for free since they didn't have a complete kit in stock to sell him.

Good luck hearing back from HK
FireyFate is online now Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:28 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
If this was a 3DHS plane and this video came out, they would send you a motor box kit free of charge, no questions asked. I just read today on the 41" Edge thread that after a guy CRASHED his plane due to his own error, 3DHS was going to ship him the parts he needed for free since they didn't have a complete kit in stock to sell him.

Good luck hearing back from HK
I cant speak for 3DHS, they have no UK importer so their models are prohibitively expensive to ship to the UK. I'm sure they are great models with great support, however i can only talk of my own experience:
  • A couple of years ago I got a HK Pitts Model 12. It arrived with a badly twisted fuselage. I took some photos and sent them off too HK customer service not expecting to hear anything again. I set about stripping the covering and steaming the fus to get out the twist. Much to my surprise a month or two later a brand new fuselage turned up on my doorstep.. thanks HK Admittedly the Pitts had a few other detail issues which I spent some time sorting out but at the end of the day it turned out to be a nice sports aerobatic model.

• A year ago I bought a PA Ultimate AMR. A great model, I love it. By coincidence that too had a twisted fus but only minor, I got most of it out by heating the covering and the rest I just lived with, still it was surprising given all the claims of 'jig building' and 'trial assembly' prior to shipping etc... On the third flight during a perfectly good landing the undercarriage carbon leg sheared. Turns out a few people had similar experiences, looked like a dodgy bit of carbon had slipped through the quality control net. The departing wheel pant also punched a hole in the wing so that needed patching. I contacted the PA UK importer, I contacted PA direct, I even contacted the PA reps who post on this site. Suffice to say one year later I'm still waiting for my replacement U/C leg I couldn't even buy the leg or covering in the UK, none were in stock anywhere. I had to get a friend to ship it from the USA. The new legs are fine and hundreds of flights down the line I've had no more problem proving in my mind that it was a dodgy leg and not just me.

• Three weeks ago I got a EF 48" Edge 540T, this is my new baby and I'm delighted with it. Third flight landing on what was admittedly slight rough ground frozen hard by a frost (but the landing was a 'floater'). I hear a 'crack' noise on touchdown. Covering around the leg is found to be torn and creased indicating something had 'gave' on the LG.. Stripped back covering and found the joints where the UC plate fixed to the formers were virtually dry. The plate had come loose, cracked a former and torn the covering. I've not even tried to claim on this one, it's really not worth the hassle, it's not a difficult repair and will only cost me a metre of covering and some carbon to reinforce the busted former.

These are my experiences, yours may differ.

Steve
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:51 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,716 Posts
Quote:
I Stripped back covering and found the joints where the UC plate fixed to the formers were virtually dry.
On any brand of plane, run some CA over all the joints in the motor box and landing gear brackets.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
On any brand of plane, run some CA over all the joints in the motor box and landing gear brackets.
Good advice, and to be fair it does say in the manual to put CA on varius area including the landing gear mount. Trouble is its really hard to do the undercarriage effectively without lifting the covering. Access from the inside is blocked by the battery tray and you cant get to all the joints from the outside without lifting covering.

But this was a lesson learned and next time I'll try much harder to get some CA flooded into all the landing gear joints. An extended nozzle on the CA bottle would probably get to most of the effected area. Shame it couldnt have been done that way in the factory though

Of course, the same argument might apply to the motor box failure of the HK Yak in this thread. Seems to me that when it's a HK plane that fails the answer is that "all HK planes are junk, what else do you expect?".. When it's one of the 'big three' manufacturer's models that fails it's the builders fault for not adding extra glue?

Steve

PS, I'm not knocking the EF Extra EXP in any way. It's a fantastic model, the quality in virtually all respects is absolute top notch, highly recommended (just don't forget to CA your landing gear plate fixtures!)
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Dec 16, 2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:04 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Of course, the same argument might apply to the motor box failure of the HK Yak in this thread. Seems to me that when it's a HK plane that fails the answer is that "all HK planes are junk, what else do you expect?".. When it's one of the 'big three' manufacturer's models that fails it's the builders fault for not adding extra glue?
It's just that we hear drastically more reports of failure with these HK planes, and you rarely if ever see or hear about them flying great.

Meanwhile in every EF and 3DHS thread, you will see plenty of videos of their planes being wrung out. And in the rare case of failure due to manufacturing defects, the manufacturer either makes it right, or fellow fliers supply spare parts when they have them.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
If you look closley at the video you will see that the failure actually tore the firewall apart, not just a glue joint failure.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:54 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
If you look closley at the video you will see that the failure actually tore the firewall apart, not just a glue joint failure.

Dennis
Yeaaaah but if a glue joint was first to go, the resulting vibration might have caused all the other damage.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
It's just that we hear drastically more reports of failure with these HK planes, and you rarely if ever see or hear about them flying great.

Meanwhile in every EF and 3DHS thread, you will see plenty of videos of their planes being wrung out. And in the rare case of failure due to manufacturing defects, the manufacturer either makes it right, or fellow fliers supply spare parts when they have them.
I know, but at the price point, you can't blame them for minor defects. I agree though, major defects should be dealt with and should be checked at the manufactuer. Of course, the Chinese aren't know for "world class quality".

What I'm confused about is how the batteries are checked yet the airframes are not!
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:21 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,495 Posts
Bear in mind also that (as far as i know) pretty much all the balsa ARF's are made in China, even the big US names. I'm pretty sure there was a 'Made in China' sticker on My Extreme Flight Edge box (I'll double check tonight).

I'm not sure about PA or 3DHS but I'd be surprised if their models werent made in China also, maybe even in the same factories (who knows?).

Obviously the difference is that the likes of EF/PA/3DHS have models built to their own design and specification and I assume have some control over quality.

Steve
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:02 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I think PA is the only one of the three not making in China. PA planes are made in EU somewhere. I think I heard someone say Czechoslovakia republic or germany or someplace like that.
The other two of the big three all have made in China planes for the balsa planes.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger