Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Yippee!
First Pefect Landing Today!

I GREASED A LANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There. Had to get it out of my system. I took my (US Army) GWS Beaver out today, and after many attempts to correct the CoG, got it spot on today for some stick time in the back pasture. Time to land, and I kept in mind what some of you have said in posts, and articles. I managed the throttle more than the elevator, and it smoothed right in at <1/4 throttle...let it decsend gently, and just as it touched down, fed some up elevator...didn't even bounce!

I know I've been in this hobby for a year now (so maybe not technically a total noob)...even though I've had virtually no flights in over 6 months. Just as I was really progressing, we had another baby, then our nasty Texas summer hit. Then, windy spring. So I'm back in trainer-plane-beginner-mode. I know some people take to landing like a fish to water...but that has been my biggest struggle with larger planes.

Anyway...I'm pumped right now!
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:33 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,153 Posts
great job. I have just been building and repairing, too cold or wet to fly.
mcnowhere is online now Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Dec 11, 2011, 07:47 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,977 Posts
Nice, Hog Pen, it takes a lot of practice. Sweet landings are the shiz. I only use gear because to me take off's and landings are a big part of the flight experience. Most of my landing now are decent, some are just a joy to see, and some I'm glad nobody saw them. Good practice is to run a lot of passes down the runway slower and slower, then some touch and go's, ,which I still can't get to look that pretty.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:54 AM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,412 Posts
Grats!
A nice greaser always brings a smile.
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:24 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Thanks guys...I know some the folks reading this post are probably rolling their eyes a little thinking, "who cares"...but this was HUGE for me! The field I occasionally go to is full of stunt planes...some have 12-15' spans...and those guys make landing look effortless. Can't wait to practice more! One down, a million to go!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:49 AM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
No one is rolling their eyes. We are all working on whatever is next for us, and we are all ahead of some in ability and behind others.

I'm a bit jealous of you. I've been flying on and off since the late '70's, but almost never off a surface that allows take off and landing. I'll bet you land better than than I do. Now, if you want someone to school you on how to plop down in tall weeds without puncturing the covering, I'm your man.

Congratulations! It's pretty good fun when you do it right.
Tim K is offline Find More Posts by Tim K
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:41 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Well...I have to replicate the results, lol. I was going to try that today...weather couldn't be better, but I somehow managed to break my foot last night...so I'm couch bound.

Wait a sec...I can haul a lawn chair into the pasture...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Poole
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I know some the folks reading this post are probably rolling their eyes a little
Nah, I bet nobody is. I spend almost all my simulator time practising landing because I'm terrible at it - if I grease one in ten I am happy.

Sometimes it just works, but usually I don't know why, which makes it hard to learn from my mistakes.

But you can be sure that the moment I learn how to do it every time I'll be on here with a big textual grin on my face too.
JasonStonier is offline Find More Posts by JasonStonier
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,164 Posts
Good for you! Doesn't matter how long you have been flying, landings will always be the hardest part and even the experts have their bad days.

The plane looks awesome (saw in your other thread) and even though its electric try to carry some power with you as you land.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:49 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
Good for you! Doesn't matter how long you have been flying, landings will always be the hardest part and even the experts have their bad days.

The plane looks awesome (saw in your other thread) and even though its electric try to carry some power with you as you land.
Thanks. That was my biggest failing...trying to land somewhere between a belly-flopper, and a 1oz. micro. The air movement from the prop over the tail made the landing faster, but much more stable, since the control surfaces actually worked.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:18 PM
United States, TX, Harker Heights
Joined Jul 2007
195 Posts
WTG Hog....
Landings are always the mind burner.. LOL Wind, Speed, aircraft stall charactistics, dont forget heading.. there's alot going on during a landing and to grease one in like a butteryfly with sore feet is always nice... Throttle management, changes in angle of attack, landing a bit long is always BETTER then too short... Yuppers... a greaser makes the day go better....

Banjo
BanjoTX is offline Find More Posts by BanjoTX
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:31 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Long landing...LOL. I covered about 50 yards landing that slow little thing.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:31 AM
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
Great story. Got to be a good feeling! I know it is on the sim! My only and first plane is a toss and go. I still try to practice decent alignment rudder and so on but still have to pass around again and slide it I the grass. Can't wait for gear. Congrats!
Stormchase is offline Find More Posts by Stormchase
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:13 AM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
PERFECT landing for me is when I DON'T HAVE TO GLUE ANYTHING!
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:24 AM
The Guitarist
Texas
Joined Jul 2005
59 Posts
Good job man, I know landings are the toughest part for me too. It's like I always say though, everybody can fly a plane… once… Landings the trick to learn haha.
psecody is offline Find More Posts by psecody