HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:59 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Still a switching reg, so, not as radio silent as a linear reg.

R,
Target
Tom linked to the boost regulator. Here are the linear regs:

http://www.greentronic.eu/en/regulat..._id=1&Itemid=1

Nice products I have seen some and if you wanted a regulator for a glider this is one I would consider. Fromeco (in the USA) makes a nice regulator as well, but it is too large for most soaring applications (except scale).

http://www.fromeco.org
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:02 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
And it looks like the price has gone up substantially since I looked last.
I just checked the price and it has not changed since the introduction of the Regmax: 63.90 euros

and with an euro at 1.32 dollars, it should be a bit more affordable .

Cheers,

Pierre
prondel is offline Find More Posts by prondel
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2007
651 Posts
Have Medusa, CC, Fromeco and few of these switcher designs in some planes. 3 and 10 amp shown.
You have to wire a little to make work, not plug and play.

Wide Input voltage range (4.5Vdc-14Vdc)
Small size:12.2 mm x 12.2 mm x 8 mm
(0.48 in x 0.48 in x 0.32 in)
Output voltage programmable from 0.59Vdc to 5.5Vdc via external resistor
Overcurrent and overtemperature protection
Wide operating temperature range (-40C to 85C)
kilwein is offline Find More Posts by kilwein
Last edited by kilwein; Dec 14, 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:47 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2009
98 Posts
Simple Answer

For those who like LiFe and want to run MKS servos and are worried about over voltage, the most reliable, cheapest, smallest, high transient current, most efficient and low noise solution will now be revealed. Pause...

Simply stick a 1N4935 or similar diode in series with the battery output.
It is a single PN junction. Just solder it to the battery and do a good job of not breaking leads and not much can be more reliable than this.

It costs about 10 cents.

It is about the diameter of a pencil and less than an inch long.

It can provide peak currents of 30 amps

It will "regulate" the output voltage of your LiFe Pack by dropping about 0.8 volts at a nominal current several hundred milliamps and will drop 1.4 volts at 10 amps. Not great regulation but good enough. It is also very fast since there is no feedback. Great transient response.

No overhead current is drawn at normal low currents so it is likely more efficient than switchers. Switchers are most efficient at high/maximum currents (a small percentage of the time for our application). Run some numbers and you will see.

It is quiet since it is not switching.

Is there something out there that does better against these criteria? What other criteria does it not meet... besides not being "high tech" enough?

Since I don't run MKS servos, I will continue to just use A123 straight to the Rx and servos and enjoy additional efficiency.

Mike Wilson
Mike Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Mike Wilson
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:54 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,403 Posts
I am so going to wrap that in a black gauze sheath and fill it with iron filings and call it a "Monster Regulator Cable" - to ensure that all your data bits have the lowest noise and it also improves the mid and bass tones of your servos Yours for only $699.00
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:23 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wilson View Post
...Simply stick a 1N4935 or similar diode in series with the battery output.
Mike,
Very good basic idea. Several of us on this thread have been using a diode voltage reducing solution and yes it works. However, a single forward diode will allow back emf generated by the servos to cause significant supply voltage noise since the low termination impedance of the battery is blocked by the forward diode. You can suppress this noise with a reverse diode.

For what it's worth I designed a board that uses two forward surface mount diodes (and 2 pairs for redundancy) that drop the voltage by ~1.2v and a single reverse diode. That amount of drop is just right for LiFe 2S and MKS servos that want 5.5-5.8v for best performance.

I'm getting ready to ship them out soon to a number of guys. I also have a user guide with a schematic, parts list, and theory of operation section. And for the record I ain't doin' this to get rich, just to provide one more solution to the servo voltage problem.

I just posted several things at RC Info Share: the voltage reducer board user guide, a schematic/parts list for a DIY reducer, and I started a list of RC voltage regulators from posts in this thread. I'll try to keep it up to date.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Last edited by SoaringDude; Dec 15, 2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Posted url for RC Info Share
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2009
98 Posts
Oh ya, I forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
I am so going to wrap that in a black gauze sheath and fill it with iron filings and call it a "Monster Regulator Cable" - to ensure that all your data bits have the lowest noise and it also improves the mid and bass tones of your servos Yours for only $699.00
The biggest problem I see with a diode solution is that it is way too inexpensive for a high performance, molded , competition sailplanes. And it does not have a cool name. So, PLD, you have the right idea.

Mike Wilson
Mike Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Mike Wilson
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:56 PM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
449 Posts
ok what about that one

Solid 2 Microsens
tiju000 is online now Find More Posts by tiju000
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:05 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
It would be good if there is a way to translate the PDF on that one; looks promising.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:21 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiju000 View Post
ok what about that one
Solid 2 Microsens
Is this a linear regulator? Can't tell from their site. I'm trying to keep an up to date regulator list here.

Chris B.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:49 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc View Post
I'm planning on using this unit in a new SRTL build:

http://www.hkm-models.com/Emcotec%20Switches.html

The SRTL has no hatches, and you must tape/untape the wing joint to get to the innards. This is a combination voltage regulator and magnetic solid-state switch.

I have a similar, non VR unit in another SRTL and it works beautifully. It has a bright LED ON indicator, and you just place the magnet over the right spot, and the switch is on, the other side of the LED is off.

Mechanical switches are a common failure point that ruins your day all the way. Plus, I can tape the wing on and leave it there all day. Except for ballast changes...

WinchDoc

yes, 2 SRTLs...
One of my friends use this in an F5B plane. They are very nice. In fact I've now ordered one myself. Not the cheapest by any means but arguably the most elegant solution.

For those that don't see why to switch from NiMh there may be no reason in big gliders. In the F5b models though where we used to use 150 and 400 mah nimh packs for weight reasons, the voltage variation was terrible. The great advantage for me of a linear regulator and a 2S Lipo pack is I get a constant voltage to the servos. I use this system in every plane I fly these days. Avoids the potential errors of soldering your own packs.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:25 PM
USA, CA, Moreno Valley
Joined Nov 2003
165 Posts
Chris, I would like to see this Novak VR get tested. I have used Novak electronics equipment for years during my run at RC cars. I use the 5-Amp Universal BEC (2S) Product #: 5465. The street price is $27.00. It comes with a very nice small switch that I used to mount to the front servo screw. The VR is thin - I used a rubber band to attach it to the side of the battery pack. Go to http://www.shopatron.com then do a search on the 5465.

NOVAK’S 5465 UNIVERSAL BEC SPECIFICATIONS (Picture attached)
• Size: 0.66" x 1.00” (16.8 x 25.4 mm)
• Weight: 0.45 oz (12.7 g)
• Input Cells: 2-S Li-Po / 4-6 NiMH/NiCd
• BEC: 6 Volts, 5 Amps
• Switch: Yes
• Input Harness: JST - Universal
• Power Wire: 20G Red & Black
• LED: Blue (on-board)

Here is there product details on the other two popular VR they sell:

NOVAK’S UNIVERSAL BEC FEATURES (#5463 & #5460)
• Provides consistent power to vehicle electronics during entire charge
• On/Off Switch for clean installation
• Universal JST Plug that fits all popular brand receivers
• Blue power indicator LED
• #5463 features High-Efficiency Switching Regulator for cool, consistent operation
• #5460 features a low-voltage operation that maintains consistent voltage and current even when the input voltage falls down to 6.2 volts.

NOVAK’S UNIVERSAL BEC SPECIFICATIONS (#5463 & #5460)
• Input Voltage: 4-22 Ni-MH* or 2-7S Li-Po (#5463); 4-8 Ni-MH* or 2S Li-Po (#5460) [*1.2V/cell]
• Output Voltage: 6 Volts
• Output Current: 3 Amps
• Input Wire Gauge: 20 AWG
• Output Wire Gauge: 20 AWG (#5463), 26 AWG (#5460)
• Size: 1.0” x 0.8” / 25.4 x 20.3 mm (#5463); 1” x 0.7” / 25.4 x 17.8 mm (#5460)
• Weight: 0.72 oz./20 grams (#5463); 0.3 oz ./ 8.5 grams (#5460)
Robert-CSD is offline Find More Posts by Robert-CSD
Last edited by Robert-CSD; Dec 15, 2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-CSD View Post
Chris, I would like to see this Novak VR get tested.
Okay Robert, I just PMed you my address and added your reg to the RC Info Share list.
Chris B.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:37 AM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
449 Posts
one think that could be interesting is to have some pictures of the setting in some F3x fuselage.

And also a list of planes where it's used.

Thierry
tiju000 is online now Find More Posts by tiju000
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:18 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
843 Posts
Just added Emcotec and Radio South voltage regulators to RC Info Share site.

I'm outta here--goin' flying.