HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 06:21 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
I use the connectors and pins from Hansen Hobbies. Do they have a good track record with everyone?
Yes, their pins and connectors have worked great for me. I also like the Deluxe crimping tool they sell, works well.

I also highly recommend their 20AWG silicone servo wire for battery-side wiring. Less voltage drop and (essentially) melt-proof insulation. Only caveat is that you sometimes have to trim off a little insulation at the point where the pin crimps over the insulation so the crimped pin will fit into the servo connector. But well worth it.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 09:33 PM
USA, FL, Milton
Joined Jul 2008
119 Posts
Hi Avaldes,

Sent you a PM.

lc
liftchaser is offline Find More Posts by liftchaser
Old May 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
I use the connectors and pins from Hansen Hobbies. Do they have a good track record with everyone?
Great prices service and products.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:08 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Chris,

You still alive?
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:03 AM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
795 Posts
JJ,
Still here, but been busy. Still have your regs (and several others now) to test and hope to get to them before long. Such is the nature of pro bono work!

Chris B.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:28 PM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
I have put together some regulators using the OKR-T/6-W12-C and they appear to work very well. However, they are specked to shutdown when over current occurs. I love the efficiency, size and price. There output is adjured with a resistor from 1 volt to 6 volts.
I have used the 3A version with 2C LiPo on a small hand launch with no problems, but the total peak load is only a couple hundred ma.
The cost of these units is about $7 each so I can play with them all I want. At this price, size and weight I can use them for spot regulating at the servo.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...1&y=10&cur=USD
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:10 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude View Post
JJ,
Still here, but been busy. Still have your regs (and several others now) to test and hope to get to them before long. Such is the nature of pro bono work!

Chris B.

Joe
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
420 Posts

Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:11 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,681 Posts
I just got 3 of the Voltron regs delivered, I hope they are still in favor.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:09 AM
GER 3788
Joined Feb 2012
188 Posts
Hey all....

I have/had also strange issues using CC BEC in my Raktenwurm 4 F5B plane(4 MKS DS6100 and one DS6188) and Futaba R617FS.
When powering up the bec some servos didnīt lets say initialize. So they behaved like not powered. When switching fast on and off....then everything became ok. Now I changed to a linear bec(just for testing) and the problem is blown away. I also could produce brown outs by using Butterfly fast two or three times in a row with the CC BEC. Also exchanged CC becs...same results.
Of course the MKS are really thirsty guys....but the bec should handle that easily.

Really really strange. Perhaps the initial current is producing a voltage drop so that some servo do strange things. Just tried to measure things with multimeter....but no result. think I would need an oszi.

So I now ordered also Voltron BECs 5.4 Volts as it seems a good and light solution. From my point I will never use switched becs again...
Matze_Koelle is offline Find More Posts by Matze_Koelle
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze_Koelle View Post
...strange issues using CC BEC. So I now ordered Voltron BECs 5.4 Volts...
Good move! As long as your fuse can fit the Voltron unit it's the best performer out there and produces very clean power. You didn't mention the battery you're using but the Voltron will handle 2S LiFe, 2S Li-Po and 6 cell NiCD/NiMH.

Chris B.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
I just got 3 of the Voltron regs delivered, I hope they are still in favor.
Absolutely zero problems here and none reported by others so far. Still the best out there. If anyone has an issue I hope/expect to see a post here about it.

Chris B.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:53 AM
Some people call me Maurice
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,553 Posts
Yes, switching BECs are inherently slow to react to current changes. It doesn't matter that the CCBEC is rated at 10A, it can easily brown out if the current jumps quickly from 0.1A to 1A. All voltage regulators work this way, they measure the output voltage, think about it, then adjust the duty cycle to compensate. Linear regulators do the same, but with a lot less thinking so they are very fast.

This is a relatively new phenomenon for us modelers that is brought on by the combination of fast radios that group servo commands together, fast digital servos with aggressive tuning that can draw huge instantaneous currents, and 5-6 servo planes that are configured such that all servos are mixed together for most commands. Don't use switchers with lots of fast digital servos! Pay extra for the cheaper linear regulator.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:06 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Yes, switching BECs are inherently slow to react to current changes. ... it can easily brown out if the current jumps quickly from 0.1A to 1A.
Actually Vespa my switched load tests of the CC 10A BEC didn't bear this out. The unit I tested reacted fast and did not brown out under a pulsed current load of 7A. See the attached digital storage scope screen shot. They did generate much more noise than the linear regs I tested (as expected for a switcher) but that doesn't seem to cause problems per se.

The problems guys are having with the Castle seems to be an unusual control-feedback related issue and has been very hard to reproduce. I suspect it may have something to do unusual load conditions/impedances. Been hard to nail it down...

Chris B.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
Some people call me Maurice
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,553 Posts
Chris, a scope may not be fast enough to measure this though it looks as though yours is trying -- but you dismiss the readings as artifacts? Try the test with a multimeter that captures minimums. Fluke meters even have a "fast min/max" capture which is really fast (maybe too fast) and can give pretty shocking numbers (excuse the pun). The faster the measurement, the wilder the readings become, so it's really only useful to measure on a timescale that is similar to that of the capacitors in your RX and servos. I was easily able to produce "slow min/max" readings well below 3V with a glider powered by 2A LiFe + CCBEC and they exactly coincided with reboots of servos and/or receiver.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa