djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:52 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,561 Posts
Dave-

Is 3A enough for our usage? Is it rated higher in a short burst?

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21 View Post
Please Paul, I love your gear.
I'll try rig up the tests tonight, so many other things I'm doing at the same time (and probably blowing everything up one way or another). The 3AR will push to 4A for peaks, of course when servos move they actually pull a lot more than that for very short bursts but the decoupling capacitors tend to manage those.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:46 PM
Launching!
Chula Vista, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,410 Posts
I am thinking for a full house with digi's we'd be need peak at least twice that.

DC
dc812 is online now Find More Posts by dc812
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:51 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
I have a new device (SLOGGER) which has been made specifically to answer those sorts of questions, right now a lot of people are just feeling around in the dark and sucking thumbs to get figures. Servo stall current figures are useful, but the transitions are where the pain really comes in, because at stall, the regulators can keep up, but transitions happen so quickly that the regulators are caught momentarily with their pants down due to the finite step-response, hence good decoupling helps a lot.

I'll post more real data later on, but many thanks for creating this thread, it's certainly needed.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:23 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
Great idea creating this thread for us LIFE battery users. I just got a few of the Smart-Fly versions the other day, these are intended to be used AT the servo connection, NOT at the receiver, fixed 5.2 volt output, .03 ounce in weight, 3 amp current. They seem tailor made for what I was needing, since I was wanting to keep full voltage at the receiver. And a bonus, they are from the USA.
Dennis - I spoke with Bob Ritchey, who makes the Smart-Fly stuff. It is specifically NOT designed for use with LiFePO4 packs. It require a higher input voltage than a fully charge LiFePO4 packs does. Bob is thinking about making one for LiFePO4 packs.

You may want to confirm with him, but that is what he told me about 2 months ago.

BTW - the 3 amp rating is continuous. It can handle higher peaks. If you are pulling 3 amps continuous on a glider you have a serious issue somewhere.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:46 AM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
I use the FlightPower 5 Amp Linear Voltage Regulator (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXVDB0&P=K), Input Voltage: 6V-8.4V, Output Voltage: 5V-6V (Adjustable).
I donŽt use the fail safe switch, so I just desolder the wires from the board. Redundancy is Ok for linear VR.
Regards
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:09 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Miche,

Would you be able to do a sustained 3A and 5A load test on that regulator to see how long it takes before it shuts down? I notice that they rate the unit to 90'C (Junction temperature) which is a bit lower than normal, so I'm curious to see how that translates to "staying alive" time.

Paul.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:36 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,686 Posts
Bill, that info is sorta strange since I called Smart-Fly, not sure if it was Bob Ritchey I talked to but he knew the product well, told them exactly what I had, and he said the servo regulator they have would be perfect, he specifically said NOT to go with a power box since it limits full voltage to the receiver and could potentially lead to brown-outs (on JR systems). I wiil give them a call again to see what's up.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:26 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,305 Posts
Just make certain he knew you were talking about using a LiFePO4 pack and not a lipo. He did mention he was working on a LiFePO4 version and that may be what you have.

Found the email. It is from October of this year. I asked about using his regulators with 2S LiFePO4. Here is his answer:

Quote:
Hi Bill,
Sorry, the regulator has about a 1V dropout voltage so it needs 7.0V to give a 6V output.
Seems like this would be a better solution since Li-ions are much lighter than LiFe.
He later added this:

Quote:
Hi Bill,
I have also started building some more of my 5A Adjustable regulators. They do 5A with 8A peaks minimum. They are just a bit heavier than the PatternRegs but have a lower dropout voltage at less than 0.6V. They would work with LiFe packs for 6V output.
So maybe he got it done!!
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Last edited by Silent-AV8R; Dec 12, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:13 AM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I use the FlightPower 5 Amp Linear Voltage Regulator (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXVDB0&P=K), Input Voltage: 6V-8.4V, Output Voltage: 5V-6V (Adjustable).
Looks like a nice unit esp. since output v can be adjusted--ideal for MKS if you set it to 5.8v (assuming reg can handle that small of an input-output difference at rated load). I'm thinking I'll order one today for bench testing. The dimensions listed here are 55 x 30 x 7mm. That's pretty big for a tight fuse. Can you peek and see what lin. regulator chip they're using?

Thanks,
Chris B.
SoaringDude is online now Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Last edited by SoaringDude; Dec 12, 2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added comment on dimensions
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:20 AM
Toulouse , France
Joined Dec 2007
78 Posts
what about this :
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3937
Laurent31 is offline Find More Posts by Laurent31
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:03 AM
United States, CA, Auburn
Joined Oct 2010
378 Posts
Here's some very interesting info I found on a heli blog.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1541714
Shawn in NorCal is online now Find More Posts by Shawn in NorCal
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:43 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent31 View Post
I love Hyperion products, but the minimum listed input voltage is 8V as stated on the specs sheet. Directions dont state if you can use it with lower voltages.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Hi,
The linear VR is a Sharp PQ7DV10.

Paul,
IŽll see if i can do a test.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude View Post
Looks like a nice unit esp. since output v can be adjusted--ideal for MKS if you set it to 5.8v (assuming reg can handle that small of an input-output difference at rated load). I'm thinking I'll order one today for bench testing. The dimensions listed here are 55 x 30 x 7mm. That's pretty big for a tight fuse. Can you peek and see what lin. regulator chip they're using?

Thanks,
Chris B.
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Last edited by miche; Dec 12, 2011 at 04:22 PM.