HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:30 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
I just spoke to Ed on the phone,
very helpful about the X830s @ WowHobbies.

Can you guys confirm of the 25min+ flight times with
2x Lipos (in parallel). It would be great for us FPV'ers
who carry very very little weight on board.

Thank you
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Payload

Is the payload of 5lbs include the weight of the quad or can it carry 5lbs of equipment?
maboccaloni is offline Find More Posts by maboccaloni
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
738 Posts
Video taken from the Canon T3i 600D on board the X830-S

Video taken from the Canon T3i 600D on board the X830-S.
The Nikon D5100 is also in the same weight class which can also be used on the X830-S. Guys, I Googled all over the place and this is the first commercially available quad which is able to carry a DSLR, if I am wrong please tell me, LOL. This video has been edited, the first video I posted was not.

Canon T3i 600D DSLR equal weight to Nikon D5100 aerial footage fromTurbo Ace X830-S quadrocopter (3 min 6 sec)

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
wowhobbies is offline Find More Posts by wowhobbies
Last edited by wowhobbies; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:40 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowhobbies View Post
Video taken from the Canon T3i 600D on board the X830-S.
The Nikon D5100 is also in the same weight class which can also be used on the X830-S. Guys, I Googled all over the place and this is the first quad which is able to carry a DSLR, if I am wrong please tell me, LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK_iZ...ature=youtu.be

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
You should mention that the video is not raw though. You can tell just by watching the cars drive by in slooooo motion. Before the quad leaves the ground you can see them driving by in real speed to see the diff.

BTW nice video from an $800 quad though.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maboccaloni View Post
Is the payload of 5lbs include the weight of the quad or can it carry 5lbs of equipment?
The total weight we have tested the X830 with, is about 6.5 pounds. The Canon T3i was the camera we have tested which weights slightly under 2 pounds with the lens. I am guessing it will carry the Nikon D90 or D7000 but we have not tested that yet. No, it can not provide enough stability or lift if it carries 5 lbs of equipment, you need a $7,000-$15,000 RTF Octo to do that. The 5 lbs is the X830-S maximum payload pull but you have to consider stability, accelleration, wind... etc.

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
Last edited by wowhobbies; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Jan 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
You should mention that the video is not raw though. You can tell just by watching the cars drive by in slooooo motion. Before the quad leaves the ground you can see them driving by in real speed to see the diff.

BTW nice video from an $800 quad though.
I don't belief this has to do with the video editor. The cars are not going at real speed and they are skipping frames is caused by Youtube video conversion/compression. The actual footage I have here was converted to .wmv format, the cars are smooth before and after take off. The first video I did with the Sony camera, the cars are smoother because it was uploaded to youtube in the Sony original format, not .wmv so I think youtube compressed them differently. I just started fooling with the video so I am not too good. I am trying to find a website other than youtube.com with better compressing algorism. May be I am not totally familiar how to upload it better on youtube.com

Thanks for the compliment on the video.
Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
Last edited by wowhobbies; Dec 30, 2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:20 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Guys, I Googled all over the place and this is the first quad which is able to carry a DSLR, if I am wrong please tell me, LOL.[/url]
I think you maybe wrong. I remember seeing vids from a guy here at rcg that used 4 axi motors on a Xaircraft frame carrying if I remember correctly a canon 5d.
Nice vid btw. Didn't look or sound slowed down to me.
I have always found watching and hosting vids on Vimeo look a lot better than vids on yt.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:22 AM
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Jan 2007
4,514 Posts
Quote:
I don't belief this has to do with the video editor. The cars are not going at real speed and they are skipping frames is caused by Youtube video conversion/compression. The actual footage I have here was converted to .wmv format, the cars are smooth before and after take off. The first video I did with the Sony camera, the cars are smoother because it was uploaded to youtube in the Sony original format, not .wmv so I think youtube compressed them differently. I just started fooling with the video so I am not too good. I am trying to find a website other than youtube.com with better compressing algorism. May be I am not totally familiar how to upload it better on youtube.com

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
Try Vimeo.com

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is offline Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
www.Vimeo.com

has 1000x better video upLoad quality compared to YouTube.
a lot of FPV videos are put there because of video Quality :-)

p.s.
where is a great location to put the 2x Lipos (in parallel) on your X830s?
.....again, I'm looking for maximum flight times. No AP for me.

What brand Motors (4x) do you guys use and what brand ESC?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
I think you maybe wrong. I remember seeing vids from a guy here at rcg that used 4 axi motors on a Xaircraft frame carrying if I remember correctly a canon 5d.
Nice vid btw. Didn't look or sound slowed down to me.
I have always found watching and hosting vids on Vimeo look a lot better than vids on yt.
Yes, that is possible because it is a custom made. I have edited to "First commericially available quad". I custom one with 4 larger motors than the X830-S which carried additional 3 pounds but it is not suitable for a quad frame. Thanks for your input on the Vimeo that is vey nice to know.

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
Try Vimeo.com

- Jeff
Guys here seem to be quite knowledgeable on the video. I have got a lot more to learn. Thanks so much.

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
www.Vimeo.com

has 1000x better video upLoad quality compared to YouTube.
a lot of FPV videos are put there because of video Quality :-)

p.s.
where is a great location to put the 2x Lipos (in parallel) on your X830s?
.....again, I'm looking for maximum flight times. No AP for me.

What brand Motors (4x) do you guys use and what brand ESC?
The motors a and ESC are Turbo Ace which is known for high performance upgrade motors. They are much larger than the ones used on the Xaircraft X650 v4. The X650 V8 has similar capacity but it has stacked counter rotating props on the same motor shaft which generates harmonic vibration. Basically every 180 degrees the 2 props cross each other and creats opposing turbulence. This design also has about 30% lost in power because the opposing props are on the same motor shaft. Turbo Ace has ruled out this design due to the effect it has on CMOS sensor on digital camera. The X830-S is not just designed for capacity but also video quality, so many consideration was taken for the DSLR payload. Batteries can be strapped side by side or stacked below the frame.

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
Last edited by wowhobbies; Dec 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:18 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,149 Posts
Quote:

Jonathan
www.WowHobbies.com
Oh I am sorry. I thought it was processed and smoothed out. Did not know it was raw video.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Thank you for your quick response!
maboccaloni is offline Find More Posts by maboccaloni
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:36 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
anymore vids?