HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:03 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Discussion
Funbuild 5 - Invader from Aerowerkes Comet SRK

Nice history of the aircraft - http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircr...aircraft_id=91

With a 30" span this looks like a nice fit for a couple of the little brushless motors like the AP05. I think it will be a gear up belly lander, partially because we have lost the use of our only nice paved field, in fact all flying has been banned because of some local idiot politician who thinks the city may be liable for allowing us to fly in parks or any city property. I may have to see if I can bring in the AMA to help argue our case.

Anyway there are a lot of decisions to be made to turn this old rubber power design into an RC model. I think corners of the fuselage will be insert planked. The nacelles are tougher, either the whole thing gets planked or maybe just the top. The wing will need some treatment, maybe a "D" webbed and sheeted. For sure the trailing edge will be reworked.

All the stringers have been done with basswood, not much difference in weight, but a whole lot in resilience.
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 21, 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: add link to history
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Got a little of the insert planking done, probably most of the fuselage. The top left stringer and planking will be left until after the electronics has been installed. For me it is easiest to rough cut the piece to be inserted and finish it off with 80 grit (well used). I bevel the sides so it goes in like a plug. It is some verrry light, punkey balsa I would never use for anything that required strength. This is the part I like best, working with the balsa. Things will slow way down as I transition to figuring out the electronics and finally covering, but that is a long way away.
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:37 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
Nice! You have a lot done already! I like your insert planking, nice work.
I find insert planking to be therapeutic in a masochistic kind of way...

I'm the knucklehead that talked Dave (DPC models) into cutting this one and have the parts still in the box.
I have been wanting to build this model for years and still have an original kit in my stash.
I was debating building it for the fun build but you beat me to it. Looks like he did a good job on the parts. How is the fit?
I was planning on a pair of 1811 10 gram motors and an 800 2 cell.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:21 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Glenn, Everything fits beautifully. I don't care for the skinny trailing edge and will cut it back further so the back of the rib is a bit taller, but the formers fit very nice and the stringers all line up. I will probably put another stringer on top of the wing and may turn the front into a "D" tube sort of thing. It was just the sort of thing I was looking for so thanks for talking Dave into it.

I don't see any problem with two in the Funbuild, what ever you wind up doing will definately look better than mine. I have a long way to go on the finishing end of modeling. I have a great looking compressor that was obtained at a really cut rate price that has never been turned on and I keep intending to build a little vaccuum parts builder but haven't gotten around to it yet. There are just so many neat aspects to model building it never gets boring.

Len
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 10, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:35 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
No worries about having two in there, each will be unique in its own way.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:22 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
Len,

Nice start!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:53 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
Len, do you have an airbrush?
If not swing by Harbor Freight and sang one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-...kit-95810.html
I know there are higher quality ones out there but why spend the big bucks only to find out you don't like using one.
The compressor is the expensive part so you're already ahead of the game.

If I have time left after I finish my first entry, maybe I'll tackle this one.
I was planning on the 10 gram motors, no landing gear and fully sheeting the model.
Glenn
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:27 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Thanks Steve.

Glenn, I have one of the Harbor Freight airbrushes, I used it a couple of times with the expensive canned air before I got the compressor. It worked OK, but requires a lot of clean up to keep it functional. Lately I've been using Solite and not painting except detail with a brush.

I need to kick it up a notch and watching the wizards here is a great example and motivation.

The plans for this one will be just enough sheeting to avoid the extreme starved horse look, the motors will be in the 5 gram range (there are two of the umx SBach motors and two of the AP05 motors in the parts box) and a battery around 500 mah. The props will be the 5x3 or 5x4.3 GWS. It will either be Silver Solite or Dark Blue.

Most of the modifications will be to the wing to give it the strength to deal with the motors and ESC. As it will be a belly lander, the wing will also need to deal with the nacelles and prop hitting the grass.
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 10, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:57 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,734 Posts
I use acrylic paints and keep a pickle jar full of water on the bench. As soon as I'm done spraying or between colors I put the airbrush in the water to keep paint from drying in the tip. Spray the water out and it's clean. I strip it down and give it a thorough cleaning using cotton swabs and lacquer thinner before putting it away.

Your model will be really light with the open framework and limited insert planking. Maybe insert plank the bottom of the nacelles and fuse will be enough?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:48 AM
Roedermark, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
77 Posts
NICE start on a plane I've always liked! I built one about 20 years ago, but never got around to covering it before it got "lost" during a move. I'm in the process of scratching one for rubber power.

Good to see that Dave decided to "burn" this model, and I'll be following this build closely (might even end up electifying mine).

Pete
Dustbin is offline Find More Posts by Dustbin
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:27 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Hi Len

A long time ago, I built this airplane for FF electric- then tried it rubber powered. It wound up in the trash.

A couple of issues-

1) I'm not crazy about the airfoil- and I recall needing a big tab on the stab to give the airplane enough up elevator. I think a thinner, more flat bottom airfoil is needed.
2) The wing attachment system needs help- the fuse tends to break.

Are you considering leaving the bird with locked up surfaces and using something like an Airhogs twin setup for control? Might keep it lighter- be an interesting challenge.

Good luck!

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:58 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
Good start! Subscribed.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:02 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,863 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I decided to sheet the bottom with a fairly hard 1/32". The second picture shows it bent around the first stringer up from the flat bottom.

The motors are in, went with the umx SBach motors. It should do well with anything from a 370 mah to a 500 mah battery.
Last edited by LenBFP; Dec 13, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:25 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
Nice! You have a lot done already! I like your insert planking, nice work.
I find insert planking to be therapeutic in a masochistic kind of way...
Really? I've always found it a poor way to sheet/fill, as there's an obnoxious Glue line every 1/4"... all too apparent for the rest of the model's life.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:00 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
That's why I use Ambroid for inset sheeting or planking- double glue it and it's nearly impossible to see the seam when you sand.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe