HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2011, 02:26 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Discussion
Wrapping carbon fiber arms in carbon fiber

Ok thats a bit redundant. I'v got some 10.5 cm carbon fiber arms that are that extruded crappy stuff. I am going to wrap them in CF cloth and was wondering if it would be better to use crazy glue or epoxy. Im thinking of using crazy glue as it will fuse were as the epoxy my delaminate. They are arms for a quad I am building. Thanks!
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:10 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,914 Posts
If the surface of properly prepared then an epoxy shouldn't delaminate.

Clean the surface with acetone, fully sand the surface with 80 to 120 grit sandpaper, and clean again with aceton. A decent laminating epoxy will bond very well. I'm not talking about the bonding epoxy like 5,10, 15, or 30 minute stuff. I'm talking about something like West Systems, Resin Research, MAS, Pro-Set, MGS, and the like. The true laminating epoxies will be more durable than a CA. The CA thing can work, is fast, but your likely to burn your eyes out with fumes.....

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:41 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,607 Posts
I'd use laminating resin like Adam mentioned. You may be able use a small diameter braided sleeve to cover the pull/extruded rod. What is the diameter of the arms?

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:23 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,535 Posts
Or you could even just wrap in Kevlar thread.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:52 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Its funny I was thinking of wrapping them in Kevlar. They are 10.5 cm square. Yea I got to bite the bullet and get some West Systems epoxy. I have the silly Tower stuff. "Hobby" kinda like "Toy" when will we ever get respect....
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Dec 22, 2011, 05:05 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,914 Posts
Are you trying to prevent splitting or increase the torsional strength.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks