Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,637 Posts
My NSP XL is now 2+ years old and I doubt your is any stronger. If you ever get the chance, get a hand held fish scale and attach the high start to it and start walking. You will be amaized at what 15 lbs feels like.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:53 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,027 Posts
I have a fish scale and have been using it for 3 years on mine and other people's HS. It is a 50 pound scale.

At full pull mine registers around 30 pounds. I can't launch alone at full pull. I have launched my Legend ( 5 pounds )alone at about 250 feet, or about 23 pounds and could just barely hold on.

At 150 feet, 1/2 pull, it registers 12-13 pounds which is what I use to launch my Spirit and Sagitta 600. At that pull I can just about hold on to the Spirit without crushing the fuselage. I get some wrinkle in the wing monokote but not enough to be a problem.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Nov 30, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2007, 10:41 AM
Joined Jun 2005
114 Posts
Curious! Why don't you use a winch instead? What am I missing? Or is it- you just don't have one?
DACeller is offline Find More Posts by DACeller
Old Dec 01, 2007, 02:39 PM
jjc
Joined Sep 2002
268 Posts
I see a lot of info on maximum pull. What is minimun pull I can get away with on launching a Thermal Dancer? John
jjc is offline Find More Posts by jjc
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2007
138 Posts
learning to use a Hi start

Why would you want the min pull , that just nuts , get the thing in the air.
Richard L Bean is offline Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2007
138 Posts
How to use a Hi start

JJC
I did not mean for that to sound flip, but my brother and I launch , Supras , Avas, Ez bubble dancers and many more gliders ,and we never are trying to just get in the air, our min pull is 15 pounds all the way up to 30 plus pounds , I even have a just for practice landing Hi start that gets my Supra in the air about 200 feet , just enough for a couple of turns and a good landing. I have a new winch and thats so I can get some practice on winching for contest, so its all fun.
Richard L Bean is offline Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:05 AM
jjc
Joined Sep 2002
268 Posts
Shoulder problems, I can work around that with a winch, load it up quick and go. But hi-start has constant pull. John
Old Dec 02, 2007, 12:45 AM
Joined Apr 2004
101 Posts
apage is offline Find More Posts by apage
Last edited by apage; Jun 15, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2007, 06:14 AM
Prescott Arizona
Joined Mar 2005
890 Posts
Andy,
That is the best description on highstarts Ive ever read.
Bob
bobby legue is offline Find More Posts by bobby legue
Old Dec 02, 2007, 06:38 PM
jjc
Joined Sep 2002
268 Posts
Thanks Andy, that is the information I was looking for. John
Old Dec 04, 2007, 07:25 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc
I see a lot of info on maximum pull. What is minimun pull I can get away with on launching a Thermal Dancer? John
I don't think you can over pull a TD on any hi-strat. I full pedal my TD on the club winch in up to about 10 mph winds. That winch has to be exerting at least 120 pounds of pull, so pull back all you like!
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:58 AM
Joined Oct 2007
183 Posts
Want one of the best 'Advice' on hi-start?

Don't use a parachute! Use a lenght of ribbon (2" wide 5' long). Pulls out of the bushes and weeds like a champ! You don't have to go the the end with the ribbon. No, just get somewhere near the middle of the nylon line and pick it up. Start walking back downwind and get thrilled to see the ribbon racing through the weeds and such like a lively snake of some kind! Try this and you'll never go back to a parachute! Trust me!
philami is offline Find More Posts by philami
Old Dec 07, 2007, 03:40 PM
and proud of it!
Northern Kentucky
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philami
Want one of the best 'Advice' on hi-start?

Don't use a parachute! Use a lenght of ribbon (2" wide 5' long). Pulls out of the bushes and weeds like a champ! You don't have to go the the end with the ribbon. No, just get somewhere near the middle of the nylon line and pick it up. Start walking back downwind and get thrilled to see the ribbon racing through the weeds and such like a lively snake of some kind! Try this and you'll never go back to a parachute! Trust me!
I used to fly rockets, which use both streamers and parachutes. The problem with a streamer is that it does not drift downwind as much as a parachute (which is the point of using them with rockets), meaning you have to walk farther to get your line back. Of course, if you aren't launching upwind like you're supposed to (mea culpa ), using a streamer would be better.

KG
kentuckyglider is offline Find More Posts by kentuckyglider
Old Dec 08, 2007, 09:28 PM
Watertown, WI 53098
Joined Aug 2007
518 Posts
For what it's worth!

I started flying again this past summer after a twenty plus year absence... Way back then I had to teach myself for there were no clubs in my area (and before the internet - love the internet now) that flew sailplanes... After I had built my 1st plane (gentle lady) I 1st bought 100' of bungee cord and 400' of line... Can only stretch the cord only so much, I slowly increast the pull (to a full pull) and at one time during launch the plane was 1/4 way up and seeing the wing fold and helpless watching as it came crashing back to earth (if i crashed it once, i must have crashed it a hundred times) I figured there must be a better way... I heard about hi-starts and being a cheapskate (hense the bungee) I had bought 100' of 3/8" surgical tubing (extruded - amber) from a local medical supply house and the difference was night/day... It was true surgical tubing and no UV protection... Well needless to say it did not last long before it became brittle and was breaking all the time... Never did catch a thermal... That was then and this is now... I picked up flying again and had bought this time the heavy-duty hi-start from Dynaflight and it worked pretty well but once again after heavy use it deteriorated rather quicky and this to was breaking all the time and the pull was noticeably weaker than when it first came out of the box in no time at all... Now I have purchased several "HoseMonster" hi-starts...

( http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html )

I had puchased a Pinnacle hi-start off of ebay for a really good price but have not had the chance to try it out yet but looks very promising...! It is quite different than the hosemonster and seems to be a different type of rubber than the mandrel-dipped and has a very thin wall, if anyone could shed some light here would be very appriciated... I know next to nothing on this one and their site does not say much about it... What and or how is it made/made-of, how can you tell which size Pinnacle hi-start it is such as diameter vs the mini, small, standard, medium, large or extra-large...? Still seems hands-down much better than the Dynaflight systems and much cheaper in cost than the hosemonster's...

( http://www.nesail.com/categories.php?subcatID=54 )

The HoseMonster rubber I have in the 2, 3 and 4 meter class... They are mandrel dipped and heavier wall thickness than the Dynaflight Heavy-Duty and seems to have a much smoother pull to them... I have them "ringed" at their 50' marks and can adjust the length with qiuck release hooks depending on the size field that I am flying at... I am using 500' of 200lb massion line also "ringed" at the 250' mark for adjusting to the size field... This seems to be a good way of doing this and I can also add sections together if more pull is needed by using (joining) the rubber in parallel (tandem) such as a 50' length of 2 meter rubber along-side with a 50' 3 meter rubber... I did spend close to $400.00 (i've spent at least as much on all the cheap ones added together) on all that rubber but have found it to be well worth the cost... No more cheap rubber for this guy, I have learned my lesson...! I also use the aerospace protectant "303"

( http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...TOKEN=38121153 )

to keep them in top-notch condition and adds to the UV protection... I also have them stored in insuated Kelty Binto Cooler to keep them out of UV light and away from ozone which will also deteriorate the rubber... Store in a cool place...

( http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1 )

I thought that I would mention since I have not really heard anyone talk about the care and maintenance of the very expensive rubber...! It makes a difference between making your hi-start last a long time or make it last a VERY LONG TIME...

Well, for what it's worth...
Kevin
KickAce is offline Find More Posts by KickAce
Last edited by laurionk; Dec 15, 2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,027 Posts
Have you had a chance to fly the Pinnacle? I would be interested in your thought of how it compares to the Hosemonster hi-starts.