HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2004, 01:57 AM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Where To Get Replacement Tubing In NorCal

This thread is really great guys -- great work!

I want to start uising a hi-start. I have one that's about 12 year sold - heven't used it in a LONG time. The surgical tubing is brittle and it needs to be completely replaced.

Do you guys know of a place in Northern California that sells the kind of tubing used on hi-starts?

I'm wondering if it's cheaper to replace the tubing, or just buy a new hi-start.

Thanks again for this great thread.

Happy Flying ;-)

Webguyjv
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2004, 03:02 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
Webguyjv,

Glad you like our little discussion here.

Whether it is better to replace the tubing or the whole thing is up to you. If the line is good, the parachute good, the rings good, the reel good and the spikes good, then all you need is the tubing. on the other hand the difference in price for a complete unit vs just tubing may not be that much.

For example, the Dynaflight HD at Tower is $60. The tubing alone is $50. For $10 you get the spool, ($5) parachute ($12) rings ($3), line ($3) and a spike. - might as well get the whole kit and use the old stuff to make a shorter up-stat for practice.

What kind of plane are you launching and what size and strength was your old hi-start. Were you happy with it.

Maybe we can point you to a good source. The interenet places ship pretty quickly.

My upstart is made with 25 feet of REAL surgical tubing that I bought on e-bay for about $12 I think.

Tell us how we can help you.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 07, 2004, 06:50 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html is the only place to buy histarts, imho.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

In this case it is not that much more expensive to get the really good stuff. $55 plus shipping for 100 feet of the best histart rubber there is. $110 including shipping for a complete 100' histart, including nylon line, a nice parachute, proper connecting rings etc.

Unfortunately Mark in is Washington State, so not local. There are two ways to do it locally. 1) go to your local hobby shop and pick up a histart - usually $60 - $70 complete. 2) Go to your local medical supply shop and purchase surgical tubing. I would bet that in Northern CA with any consistent use (e.g. every weekend) it would only last a year or so due to UV exposure.

I like my Hobby Lobby Hi-start, but next time I am definitely going for an Aerofoam Hosemonster. I have been flying off of one and the rubber is *so* much more stretchy, and feels just as powerful but somehow softer.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:40 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
Joining Hi-Start peice after a break

Then the inevitable happens. And now you have two fine peices of latex rubber tubing. What's the best way to join them back together? Welded steel rings? Key rings? Just knot them together?

Best wishes.
Jeff
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:55 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Best way I have found is to find a piece of dowel that is just over the inside dimension of the histart. First put some Household goop on the dowel, then shove the dowel inside each end of the two pieces. Once dry this should be enough to keep the histart together. For extra safety you can wrap dental floss, spectra fishing line or other strong string around the joint.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:14 PM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fprintf
For extra safety you can wrap dental floss, spectra fishing line or other strong string around the joint.
Better wrap it with a rubber band. A #64 rubber band will do OK.

Ricardo.
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:25 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by guru_dick
Better wrap it with a rubber band. A #64 rubber band will do OK.

Ricardo.
That is what I do at the histart *ends*, but for a break in the middle and without connecting rings there is no way to wrap the elastic band around the joint! That is, unless you cut the elastic band and tie it when you are done wrapping.

Incidentally, if you have a nice histart w/ UV protection in it (Hobby Lobby, Aerofoam) then the potential weak link is the elastic band - it degrades rather quickly in sunlight. I need to replace mine after two years of activity.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 08:42 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
To protect the rubberband wrap from UV you can coat over the wrap with black RTV rubber. There are two kinds of liquid RTV rubber, silicone and sulfide. The sulfide RTV rubber used as a boat caulk and between deck boards is best. It is available in marine supply stores.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Feb 16, 2004, 09:14 AM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Chile, Quinta Región de Valparaíso, Los Andes
Joined Jun 2002
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fprintf
... cut the elastic band and tie it when you are done wrapping.
Yes, I cut the elastic band and tie it firmly on top of the dowel.

But, I prefer to strip bike blades in bands similar about the size of #64 elastic bands. With this straps I don't have to worry about UV.

Regards.

Ricardo
Ricardo RW is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo RW
Old Feb 16, 2004, 01:00 PM
Jeff
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Aug 2003
645 Posts
I don't mean to be dense, it's a gift really , but anyone have a picture of said joint? So to recap:

We take a dowel that has to be shoved firmly into the center of the surgical rubber, goop it, then join the two broken pieces. Break a few #64 rubber bands, and wrap those tightly around the joined pieces? Then liberally coat the tightly wound #64 rubber bands with boat deck RTV (good ol Home Dee Pot RTV is NG)?

How about just using a few larger tie wraps instead of the #64 rubber bands??
Jeff
gdjsky01 is offline Find More Posts by gdjsky01
Old Feb 16, 2004, 02:44 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
The reason that nonelastic bands like hose clamps and tiewraps aren't as good is that when the tubing stretches the wall thickness decreases over the dowel and the clamps loose tightness. However, when the tubing OD shrinks under stretch, the rubberbands comply and continue to provide enough clamping pressure.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Feb 16, 2004, 04:09 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
If you use dowels that fit tight, get 2-3 inches or more of dowel into each piece of elastic, the goop and rubberbands are just extra insurance. as you apply the tension to the line, the tubing will stretch and tighten around the dowel.

One thing that will help is to cut small rings around the dowel so the tubing as somethign to grab onto. You dont' want to use the type of dowel that is fluted the long way. That will reduce the contact area. Small rings scratched in with a knife will work great. They don't have to be deep, you are just creating some small grab areas. The rubber will squeeze into those rings and grab tight.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 08:20 PM
Keremeos BC Canada
Joined Dec 2002
369 Posts
I have 2 breaks in my tubing, and I repair with a simple reef (not granny) knot, using soap & water as a lube (important); once dry, it seems to be fine. My repairs have never failed, am I just lucky?
T. Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by T. Lyttle
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:20 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
Nope, sounds good. If it works, that is the true test.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:31 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,452 Posts
What specifications do people recommend for a hi-start for 3 meter planes?

Or what model and brand woudl you recommend?