HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:01 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,170 Posts
Thanks.
It used to be 50x250 3M histart. Then I cut it to 50x200, then 50x150.
Then I got 50 feet 4M rubber and cut the line to 100feet.
Now, I mostly use a doubled 3M rubber at 25 and 50 feet of line.
LOL

I'm enjoying the low launches more. I wish I could handlaunch my Xplorer but you can see the field I fly at is all hard packed dirt. I have to learn to catch these things-- Fast!

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
That must be a decent sized hi-start. Saw a guy at SULA last weekend hand throw the same sailplane... 10 minutes later he landed. Oh he worked for it, but it was amazing. Wish I could afford something like that. Hell wish I could fly like that!

Nice catch.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Lets talk anchors. I've been doing my testing with the bungee end simply tied to a flatbed semi trailer. To get to where I need to be to catch some thermals, I'll need to find a different anchor. It's a bit of a walk to the field I fly from, and the field could be harvested and plowed at any time so I can't leave it up. I need something easily removable and easily transportable. Is one of those screw in dog stakes enough? If not, what do you guys recommend? Thanks again.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,449 Posts
I just use a 12" spike that I hammer into the ground. Works great in soil but might not hold in sand.

If the ground is soft you could put 2 spikes with a sting between them to spread the load.

Typically the pull is less that 20 pounds so this works fine.

Some people use the anchors that are used for dog chains.

I
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,068 Posts
Screw-in dog stake.

I suppose you could use a convenient tree or fence-post.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
I use a spike also. Normally I'm launching from grass or similar firm ground. Not hard enough to warrant the use of a hammer, but firm enough that the spike won't come out of the ground accidentally.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:30 AM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
A video from last years first launches of the 2m Spirit., the end of which came a couple of months later.
I made the silliest mistake man can do after checking the battery level and not turning the the power switch back on. The mistake was not that I forgot to do so but that I didn't check (maybe that was the one-in-a-million time) if the control surfaces are working, before throwing it and the results where ugly...
It tilted a bit on the left before I realize that I had no control and with a horrified look I watched it continuing the left path it decided to go, until it disappeared behind some trees on the side of the runway. About two second later a sharp smashing noise of the crashing balsa sounded like a requiem to my ears as horror took over on the thought that someone might be standing close to the crashing site. Luckily, when I reached there running to see the results of my wisdom, I saw that none else was harmed than that poor, deformed, what's left of the Spirit lying among thrashes of balsa and covering.

GreatPlanes Spirit 2m Modified Kit HighStared in Elliniko-Athens-Greece.avi (3 min 14 sec)
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:05 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,449 Posts
Good video that illustrates a hi-start launch. Like the choice of music too.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, TX, Kemp
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
i fly the same plane and use a loop tied approx. 4ft in front of chute.with a neck strap for radio and a good eye it is easy to get use to this type of launch holding on to the loop for more control,ps did have some curve crashes as commented on earlier,thank God for epoxy.
oedjrplanenutz is offline Find More Posts by oedjrplanenutz
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, TX, Kemp
Joined Jul 2012
10 Posts
one thing to remember is the sronger the wind the more u need to add weight for more wing loading it will still fly just not as long
oedjrplanenutz is offline Find More Posts by oedjrplanenutz
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oedjrplanenutz View Post
i fly the same plane and use a loop tied approx. 4ft in front of chute.with a neck strap for radio and a good eye it is easy to get use to this type of launch holding on to the loop for more control,ps did have some curve crashes as commented on earlier,thank God for epoxy.
That's a great idea man! Never saw or heard of this before. I'm definitely trying this.
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Jan 2004
281 Posts
Jun,

Gotta be one of my favorite vids on rcgroups....
Just getting ready to start on a 62 oz pike that i am planning to pretend is an augmented launch dlg so working out correct specs for a 150 to 250 ft launch...great vid!
rand24 is offline Find More Posts by rand24
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:48 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand24 View Post
Jun,

Gotta be one of my favorite vids on rcgroups....
Just getting ready to start on a 62 oz pike that i am planning to pretend is an augmented launch dlg so working out correct specs for a 150 to 250 ft launch...great vid!

Thanks!
Glad you like it.
Yeah, these 3m planes are just oversized DLGs. 62oz Pike sounds real nice.

Happy new year!

Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:05 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogbeagle View Post
Screw-in dog stake.

I suppose you could use a convenient tree or fence-post.
Just be aware dog stakes have a stamped thin spot that breaks.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:09 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,332 Posts
Did my first HiStart launch today!

I got a kit built GLady off of Craigslist and a NIB Dynaflite Standard HiStart off of here at RCG.

After fixing a minor break in the vertical stabilizer and changing the servos to modern ones I did a few slope flights for trimming and general flight handling.

Today under overcast sky's with a 5mph headwind I set up the HS and placed the spool 30 paces after the chute.

Last check of airplane and transmitter and hooked it up and pulled back to spool.
Straight and level throw and up she went!
Granted it was not all that high but she went up straight and true.

Next pull I went out to 45 paces and again with a straight and level throw she goes up.
This time much higher than before and like the first time the line simply falls away and floats back down with the chute.

I am going to get a fish scale and find the rite amount of pull then place a marker out in the field I fly at.

Thank you all for this thread!
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:40 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,449 Posts
I am thrilled to hear that this thread was helpful.

The Dynaflite standard is nit very strong but it should do OK with the GL. At 300% pull I would expect about 7 pounds of pull frm that HS.