HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:01 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2 Posts
Help!
Getting rc cars for my kids

I have a 6 and a 9 year old kids. I want to get them each a pair of off-road cars (buggy/trucks) but not so expensive since its their first one. Can anyone recommend some that will be fun for them. Maybe be able to upgrade the parts at a later date. But at least they can drive it outside on dirt and have fun

Thanks
adviner is offline Find More Posts by adviner
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:23 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
What is your budget?

I would highly recommend Traxxas. Either Slash's or Stampedes. These are extremely durable, parts available at any hobby shop as they are a huge seller. The vehicles are also BIG. The Slash is nearly 2 feet long. It has the same footprint as a 1/8th scale buggy, but they still call it a 1/10th scale vehicle.

You also have the ability to cut the power on the speed control by 50% to slow the trucks down until they get used to them a bit.

Slash
http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/5803slash
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZDB3**&P=ML

Stampede
http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...c/3605stampede
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXNJJ0**&P=ML

The stampede is a little bit cheaper as does not come with a 2.4Ghz radio like the Slash above. Instead of the little 3-4" rubber antenna, you have the metal telescoping antenna that kids like to sword-fight with. LOL Just have to have them be more careful.

If you live outside of IL you can sign up for Tower super saver club for 9.99. This gets you some good Email coupons sent to you after a week or so of signing up. These are tied to your Tower account, so someone can't just send you a code to use. So that Stampede above would qualify for 25$ off, and free shipping.

If your in IL (I just moved out of the state) I would look at Amain, Stormer, or any of the major sites that are typically in CA or FL to get around the Tax hit.

I know people preach support your local hobby shop, but no store makes a profit on the actual vehicles, it's all in the replacement parts\upgrades for the profit. Unless they are charging full retail, which some do.

(Example Tower coupons)
If Your Order Totals: YOU SAVE
$100.00 - $124.99 $15.00
$125.00 - $149.99 $20.00
$150.00 - $199.99 $25.00
$200.00 - $224.99 $30.00
$225.00 - $249.99 $35.00
$250.00 - $299.99 $40.00
$300.00 or more $50.00

I would recommend an extra battery per vehicle
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXUP4&P=ML

Traxxas Charger - Yes this is a no frills charger, but a 4yr old can easily use it as all you have to do is plug in the battery. The 'charger' that comes with the trucks is a simple wall charger that takes 6+ hours to charge
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWVE0&P=7

Couple extra items for the Stampede that are worth looking at.

Stampede wide Bumper
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEV91&P=M

Stampede Wheelie Bar
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRNP7&P=M

My 7yr old son has been driving a Slash for almost 3 years, only has burnt out 1 motor, and broken a rear hub. My 4yr old daughter wants her own truck, and I likely will get her a stampede. My only worry is that the 7yr old will want a monster truck too. In that case, I'll just grab some Stampede tires and a different body perhaps.

Using the 2 Stampedes and 2 batteries and the 50$ off 300$ or more Tower Coupon, you can get this for $ 383.92 shipped. (Charger for 34.99 was back-ordered so not in the total)

Tower also has "Easy Pay", so you could break up the cost across 3 months.

Our Easy Pay Plan* automatically splits the cost of your Easy Pay-eligible products over the indicated amount of payments without interest or additional charges.

Charge for first payment
(contingent upon timely credit card confirmation and authorization) 127.98
Charge for second payment
(30 days after the charge for the first payment) 127.97
Charge for third payment
(60 days after the charge for the first payment) 127.97
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Last edited by Y2kGTP; Dec 09, 2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added additional radio info
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:29 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Here is a video of a stock stampede running around.

Added a Slash...

traxxas stampede xl-5 (0 min 51 sec)

Slash Dirt Racing (4 min 43 sec)
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. Im not sure about how much to spend on their first cars. But at least I have an idea of a brand and models to look at. Thank you
adviner is offline Find More Posts by adviner
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:30 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
It does seem pricy for a couple vehicles for a new person to the hobby, but they
Should get years of enjoyment out of them. If not diecent
Resale value on Craigslist.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:09 PM
Bellingham, wa
Joined Oct 2009
94 Posts
The slash or stampede is good but more money than they are worth in my opinion, For beginners you could get something less, but it depends on what your options for parts are. If you plan to buy local, check the shops, Traxxas is probably the only one that will be available at all shops, though not necessarily, of course if you plan to buy parts online it is not a big deal, also Ultimate rc has some good video reviews of lots of beginner rc's he seems to like traxxas but also afew others that are cheaper options
biznak is offline Find More Posts by biznak
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:17 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Check out the Evader..................$119 and free shipping

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAAMW**&P=7
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,523 Posts
Was just going to mention the Duratrax Evader as well. My dad just bought one for my son. 2WD, so cool donuts and burnouts which kids like. It also has a slipper clutch and full ball bearings. Nice for the price. And he paid about $100 for his on Amazon I think, and it included the extra battery, so it was a killer deal. Can't comment on how it runs, it's wrapped in pretty paper under the tree right now. But I'm sure it runs quite nice for beginners.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:39 PM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Check out the Evader..................$119 and free shipping

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXAAMW**&P=7
You do get what you pay for. Don't forget these trucks don't come with a battery so add 25$ to each vehicle to start with.

But, kids should have a blast with them. I would highly recommend some sort of wide front bumper on the front of these trucks from the start.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:55 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
i've found from personal experience that a bumper on a stadium truck that extends past the wheels can cause more damage, then protect. reason i know? my dad's t4, when he first got it, he broke the whole chassis, with an rpm bumper on, on a full speed hit into the end wall on the straight. without it, it would not have broken, since the wheels would have absorbed the impact and send it to the servo saver, which would, well, save the servo, and the kit. so i would avoid a bumper unless you start having issues that might be solved by one, ie. not being able to maintain speed over very bumpy ground because the front end keeps getting caught. but that's not a likely issue, so i wouldn't worry about a bumper yet.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:33 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
T4 is more of a racer and less of a basher. That type of hit would have broken 1-2 arms or the front bulkhead without a bumper anyways. Regardless you would have had a broken truck either way.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:45 AM
Jody
Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
63 Posts
It is hard to imagine a 6 or 9 year old not being happy with a Stampede or Slash.

If that is outside your budget, another less expensive alternative is the Megatech MegaPro Off Road truck. These are 1/18 scale, so they're not as capable as the bigger trucks when it comes to off-road obstacles but you certainly can drive these outdoors and I'm sure the kids would love these, too.

Another possibility for a less expensive truck would be a micro crawler, although this may not be quite what you're interested in. Both Redcat Racing and Losi make 1/24 scale micro crawlers. They're better sized for indoors, but you can also drive them outdoors.

The Duratrax Evader looks like fun, too. Another option similar in price to the Duratrax Evader is the Redcat Racing Twister XTG stadium truck. We sell it (dealer alert!!) and the customers have been pretty happy. The stock battery with the Twister stadium truck gives a short run time, though, so you'd want to get an extra pair of batteries if you get two of those.

I'm sure your kids will be happy with whatever you get. They'll love the trucks and just being able to spend time with their super cool dad.
RCTO is offline Find More Posts by RCTO
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:19 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,523 Posts
I was going to mention the Redcat stuff as I own and am happy with a different brand variation of the volcano, but people who don't own them don't like them for some reason. The Twister stadium truck looks like a nice choice as well.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:22 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
I just recommend the Traxxas stuff from personal experience with young kids. Watching a 5-6 yr old run into a brick house full speed time after time is enough duability for me.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:08 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
I got one of these for my son................i got the brushed version and threw a BL sytem in it. Brushed version for 100 bucks is out of stock at the moment, ran well even with brushed, 4wd.

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c802-pro-ddblue-24ghz.html
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1