HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:54 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,050 Posts
JR Indoor Meet in Columbus, OH

Just got an email from the CD (Terry Nitsch <tsnitsch@msn.com>) and he said there are swap meet tables left! I got 2 for stuff I am bringing. He said the place is HUGE! He also said registering at the door is no problem. This should be a good time. Just think, a place where you can fly all day and not get sunburned, not get rained on, not get blown away, not get frozen, and it is right in town!!!!

Later,
Mel D.
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2003, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2003
447 Posts
Mel, we have plenty of swap meet tables available@10.00 each. All anyone has to do is reserve them. We also have a ton of pilots prizes for registered pilots, so be sure to bring something to fly. There will also be some outstanding individuals giving the seminars. It should be a great time!Terry
Terry N is offline Find More Posts by Terry N
Old Oct 03, 2003, 07:34 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Is this the same Terry Nitsch of Top Gun ducted fan and turbine scale jet fame? Good grief, man, I can't wait to see what you do with an electric model! You flew an F-16 in Thunderbird colors at Metcalf field in Toledo, many moons ago. It was the first jet event I ever saw, and your flying has stayed with me to this day.
Thanks for the memories.
Marcus
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Oct 03, 2003, 09:07 PM
Joined Sep 2003
447 Posts
Marcus, thanks for the compliment. That was a really fun Jet Meet in Toledo. Some of the best pilots in ths counrty are going to be here, hope you get the chance to make it! This indoor thing is a fascinating new ball game and lots of fun. Besides that, the weather is always perfect! Terry
Terry N is offline Find More Posts by Terry N
Old Oct 10, 2003, 05:42 PM
Anderson, In.
Joined Apr 2003
25 Posts
TTT
Leading Edge is offline Find More Posts by Leading Edge
Old Oct 12, 2003, 07:04 PM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Great Event!

Terry!

Thanks for putting on such a great event. I had a blast! The DOME was great, the pilots were great to watch and the vendor participation was outstanding. I bought quite a bit of new stuff!

I don't know the others involved with you who helped put this first event on but again let them know they did a great job and for US pilots it was a lot of fun!

The event was well run and very well attended. The level of flying was awesome to watch as well! I even learnt to hover an airplane... <G> Gotta love that GWS flying PIZZA.

It was great to see how the e-powered aircrafts are getting soo popular. AND kewl to see how many very GOOD designs are out there to choose from. WOW!

You guys should be very proud of what you've accomplished being the first time out of the gate. I'll be there next year for sure!

I enjoyed putting on the seminar and flying at your event too!

THANKS, and keep up the great work and flying!

I hope sometime you guys can visit our DOME and fly with us in PA.

Ron Osinski
aka - GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Last edited by GMRO; Oct 12, 2003 at 07:07 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:25 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Sorry I missed it now. I'm on call this weekend.
Terry - I didn't know you were into electrics now too. That wasn't your hot liner in the hanger at Superman this year was it ?
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:26 PM
Tipp City, OH
Joined Jul 2003
18 Posts
Excellent event. My congrats to the organizers and the sponsors. I thought the fly-in was very well run. Not over managed, not under managed, not an easy thing to do.

Vendors were first class. Kind of like a quarter scale indoor NEAT.

I really had a great time. Took four models and got to fly them all…all I wanted. This was truly a pilot’s event. The dome was large enough to fly my Hyper DLG with about a ¾ power launch. No thermals indoors but I had to check.

Won 2 JR 281 digital servos by hitting balloons. I use the same technique I use on the phone pole at my local park. I just tried to miss them and…….pow.

Lots of foamies, pizza box types and IFO’s. Always lots of 3d going on in the 3D area. Not too much of the really micro flyers. My flying buddy brought two small models with single conversion micro receivers and couldn’t fly more than a few seconds without getting shot down. With ten or more aircraft in the air at any given time, I wasn’t surprised.

Half time show was great fun: The usual factory demos, but, Jason Noll flying a Verti-Go and doing rolling multiple 360 degree rolling turns 12”off the astro turf was amazing. Not 1 but 2 DJ Aerotech B17’s flying in formation and dropping bombs.

And to top it off, I won a GWS Slow Stick as a door prize

Can’t wait till next year.

Thanks
Skymangler is offline Find More Posts by Skymangler
Old Oct 12, 2003, 09:52 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Skymangler

Won 2 JR 281 digital servos by hitting balloons. I use the same technique I use on the phone pole at my local park. I just tried to miss them and…….pow.

LOL ......... Phone Pole Technique.
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Oct 13, 2003, 05:56 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Murray
Sorry I missed it now. I'm on call this weekend.
Terry - I didn't know you were into electrics now too. That wasn't your hot liner in the hanger at Superman this year was it ?
You should make plans for next year Kevin, Terry says 2 days next year. You know I hit a lot of events and this was the best indoor event I've attended. Bob Aberle was there covering the event and took a bunch of pictures. We should see some mag coverage.

Radical's Verti-go's were awsome and Jason's performance was outstanding (he comes by it naturally, his dad Frank Noll is well known). Keith Shaw had his Park Hawk ornithopter, but you know Keith, he bought a white one and spent hours with magic markers and now it looks like a red tailed hawk. A Razor motor and liPolys and it flew terriffic. Stan from Z planes had a little ducted fan jet with 2 GWS motors that won best engineering award. Mike Glass's GeeBees were a hit and every time he and Don Leitz flew theirs I sold a bunch of them complete with PJS 300s and the new Castle Micro 10 ESCs. Ron put on a great show with his heli's. Rojecki and the rest of Team JR had a bunch of the GWS stuff in the air. DJ Aerotech had their fleet of "Road Kill" in the air often. There was one non related (to DJ Aerotech) road kill that I fell in love with, a flat Garfield lookalike, the Road Kill Kitty. The tail was the vertical fin and the splatted legs the ailerons (I love modelers)

There was never any "dead" time, just guessing I'd say there were 8 pilots in the air at any given time.

We're already looking forward to next year.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 13, 2003, 08:07 AM
4 Point Landing
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Sep 2001
477 Posts
I was at the fly-in also and really enjoyed it. I took my 5yr old grandson and he was in "plane heaven" as he called it.

The event was run very nicely. There was always something going on, very little dead air time. Did they ever get the plane that was stuck in the roof cables out?

I did not fly at this event but I will at next years fly-in. Went to get some questions answered and they all were. It was good to meet in person the people that I see on E-zone and talk with.

Next year I would like see the major sponsers set up better displays of their merchandise. Showcase your goods, just don't leave them in boxes piled on tables. The local vendors did a good job. Yea, I spent $200.00 on things that I just had to have, LOL.

Anyway, great job!!! I will come back.

Fred420
fred420 is offline Find More Posts by fred420
Old Oct 13, 2003, 09:39 AM
Tipp City, OH
Joined Jul 2003
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fred420
Did they ever get the plane that was stuck in the roof cables out?

Fred420
Yep...towards the end I remembered I had my highstart in the back of my truck with 100lb test braided line. I talked to the JR guys with the helium balloons and they got on board. We tied two balloons 4 feet apart to the middle of 200' of line, steered the balloons over airplane and pulled it loose. Almost no damage. That was my flying dead cat by the way, any resemblance to Garfield is purely accidental.
Skymangler is offline Find More Posts by Skymangler
Last edited by Skymangler; Oct 13, 2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:08 AM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
I have to agree with everything said above! This was my first time flying indoor but it won't be the last! To all of the people involved with this event- good job and a very big THANK YOU! Thank you goes out to the people that gave out the great door prizes. I won a GWS Spitfire. I'm looking forward to returning next year for a 2 day indoor event. Terry mentioned a possible dinner on Sat. nite with flying afterwards. I'll post photos here later.
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Oct 14, 2003, 06:32 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
Some Columbus photos

Here are a couple of shots from the Columbus indoor meet.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 06:35 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
another one. Yes, that is Dr. Shaw on the right of the shot!
Last edited by fgroza; Oct 14, 2003 at 06:49 PM.