HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ViperZ, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:48 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Discussion
Plan B - Hangar 9 Christen Eagle II

With the discontinuation of the BH Pitts, I reverted to Plan B... The Hangar 9 Christen Eagle II 90 size. This is about a 1/5 scale plane, so it still in the class I was looking for.

It was confirmed that Hangar 9 was shipping today and I was told I should have mine in about 2 weeks time. That works out just in time for Christmas holidays, it will give me time to paw it up and strategize on it's construction and power specifications. I'm thinking E Flite Power 110 (295kV), Scorpion S4035 (330kV), equivalent or up spec, powered with 8s Lipos. I may have to get a Sullivan smoker kit as well

I'm sure Hangar 9 has done a great job on it, so I'm looking forward to it

Video

Hangar 9 Christen Eagle (1 min 39 sec)

On another note, I received my Turnigy G25 710Kv motors and servos today for my P-47 Project. The servos are slightly bigger than I wanted, they will fit with some carving, but I may just get something else for the flaps, and save these for another project.

The G25 motors look good and I was hoping to run some power readings, however I don't happen to have motor connectors and will need to go tot the hobby store tomorrow. Stay tunes, I'll post results in the P-47 Thread or in my Build Blog.
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Last edited by ViperZ; Feb 09, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:08 AM
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
That Christen Eagle looks awesome! I am sure it will fly great. I was thinking about getting one, but my track record with biplanes is not the best. I have had 3 and crashed all of them on the first or second flight. And one crash was NOT pilot error!
ian145 is offline Find More Posts by ian145
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:37 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Wow, Better luck next time
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:30 AM
Still alive and well!
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
14 Posts
My LHS will have my CEII tomorrow. I'm planning on using the Rimfire 120 on 6S. I'm going with the Hitec HS-5625 servos instead of the servos the manual suggests.
Rfan_1 is offline Find More Posts by Rfan_1
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:49 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfan_1 View Post
My LHS will have my CEII tomorrow. I'm planning on using the Rimfire 120 on 6S. I'm going with the Hitec HS-5625 servos instead of the servos the manual suggests.
Sounds awesome! Let me know how it goes for you! This is going to be sweet!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:37 AM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jul 2009
7 Posts
FYI Maiden ed mine on Christmas Eve. Used the new Turnigy SK3-6354-260, 2 Zippy 4000 20c 4 cell in series, APC 18x12e with a pheonix ICE 75, Just about perfect.

Amazing performance and absolutely no bad habits at high or low speed. It is a big airplane and this set up takes it out of sight "vertically" and I am at 5000 feet. Batteries sit at the back of the tray with no extra weight needed anywhere. I know some of you guys are talking about six cell setups but you might as well go with the larger motor and batteries as you will have to add 200 to 300 grams to the nose anyway and the SK is only around 50 bucks.
tbaker is offline Find More Posts by tbaker
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:30 AM
Still alive and well!
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
14 Posts
Congrats on the maiden. What's your AUW? What prompted you to use this motor? I used the Electrifly calculator to come up with the Rimfire 1.20 on 6s using a 16X10 prop. What motor can you compare the SK3 6354 260 to? I can't find any reviews, other than your's on the HK website.
Rfan_1 is offline Find More Posts by Rfan_1
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:53 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Awesome tbaker! Thanks for sharing your info. I had a look at the motor, I could not find the SK3-6354-260kV, but did find a SK3-6354-250kV, it looks pretty darn good!

Funny you would call this a big airplane. I too was thinking it's a big, yet small airplane
Lookinf forward to hearing more!
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:05 AM
Brussels (Belgium)
Joined Nov 2001
287 Posts
Hi, glad to hear about the successfull 8S setup. I have ordered yesterday a turnigy SK 5055 320 KV. It is possible to run it with 8S also. I will see when I receive it.

I have question though for those who have flown this baby; how slow can you land this plane? I mean don't you have a feeling like it is kind of heavy? And yes another question: can you take off from shortr grass with the wheel pants?
surfer is offline Find More Posts by surfer
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:02 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer View Post
Hi, glad to hear about the successfull 8S setup. I have ordered yesterday a turnigy SK 5055 320 KV. It is possible to run it with 8S also. I will see when I receive it.

I have question though for those who have flown this baby; how slow can you land this plane? I mean don't you have a feeling like it is kind of heavy? And yes another question: can you take off from shortr grass with the wheel pants?
I haven't flown it, but based on numbers, it's wing loading is lighter than say my Sundoner 50. At 0.011 lb/sqin vs 0.012 lb/sqin, it tells me it is effectively a lighter plane. This in effect doesn't not worry me for I love the way the Sundowner feels in the air. As for power as long as you supply enough watts to weight it wil be fine as well.

For the wheel pants, I don't anticipate any trouble with these as they aren't really much different than all my other planes with Wheel pants I fly with at our short grass runway. Just be sure to check and empty them form time to time of the grass buildup
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, FL, Belleview
Joined Jan 2008
218 Posts
a quick question would a hacker A50 12L fly this bird, I used it on a slick 71 inch, about 10 pounds. I like the look of this plane

thanks all
clint mclaugh is offline Find More Posts by clint mclaugh
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clint mclaugh View Post
a quick question would a hacker A50 12L fly this bird, I used it on a slick 71 inch, about 10 pounds. I like the look of this plane

thanks all
I think it's questionable when I look at it in eCalc. It seems the Hacker is better suited for an 6s system. However even using a 7s with the Hacker looks like it's pushing it. The theoretical prop speed place the plane around scale speeds most likely. You could do it, however I suspect the plane would be a bit underpowered.

The Eagle is probably best suited with a 8s system to start.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, FL, Belleview
Joined Jan 2008
218 Posts
thank you ViperZ, that is the info I needed.
it seems like every time I get interested in a new plane I need a new motor, I am just finishing the Hanger 9 Corsair 50 and had to pick up a power 46 for it.
oh well I guess you can never have enough motors

thanks again
clint mclaugh is offline Find More Posts by clint mclaugh
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:13 PM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
Yeah, it seems like Motors , batteries and ESC are a constant staple required much like sugar and salt in the cupboards

Cool on the Corsair!