SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
Discussion
RMILEC 433MHz LRS Problems

I have the TS4047 TX module for my JR 9X II and two RD4047 receivers.

I am having a lot of problems getting this to work.

I am using it with a JR 9X II limited edition set to PPM mode.

The TX module DIP switches are all set to the off/down position, which according to the labels is failsafe off, low speed, low power. The antenna is connected and fully extended.

I have gone through the bind process, which was hold the utility button down, power on transmitter, wait 5 seconds, release utility button.

I have put the jumper on the RX port labeled A/Jumper 1, connected a servo to channel 1 and 5V to channel 8 and powered on.

After a few seconds I get a continuous beeping sound, which according to the manual means the binding was successful

I remove the jumper, power off the RX, power off the TX.  Power on the TX, it makes to beep sounds.  Power on the RX.  The servo starts to jitter really badly. 

If I turn off the TX the servo stops, TX back on, servo starts to jitter again.

No TX stick movements resulting in the servo moving properly.

I have two RXs, and this problem occurs with both.

I have tried re-binding many times. I have switched the DIP switches to the up position, in different combinations, but the same problem
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Last edited by htran; Dec 13, 2011 at 07:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Have you tried moving the Tx away from the Rx? I have found this problem to be true if you are within a few feet of your Rx... The problem is amplified if you are indoors.....

I have not field tested mine yet though but it is completely smooth out in my back yard.
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:03 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
How close is the Tx and Rx when you are testing?

Could the problem be they are too close, and the strong Tx signal is "swamping" the Rx?
This happens with some systems....
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
I have put it in another room, so that makes it 10m.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:19 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
the tx is probably spewing out all kinds of rf junk at close range that the rx doesn't like. It probably affects a lot of rf sensitive stuff - not just in that band either.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:17 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Do your binding outside in the open. If you can put the rx in the air so that the antenna is not touching the ground, that's better. Now try and bind.

The issue is that indoors the signal bounces off of everything. Pipes, wires, concrete, re-bar, ect. This is destructive interference which can make it difficult to find a lock. Get some good separation and have your RX and TX antenna in the same polarization. Make sure your VTX is off.

If this doesn't work, then I suspect you have a faulty system. You can check to see whether your transmitter is working or not by taking the transmit antenna and placing it very close to your VRX with the VTX off. You should see banding in your video (from the radio's out of band noise) if it is transmitting.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:47 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,095 Posts
RmileC UHF will normally bind just fine indoors. I'd say he's likely got a defective unit.

My issue with RmileC UHF is that it appears to be much more sensitive to external
Rfi than any of the other UHF systems I've tested.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
OK, want to here something really strange.

The RMILEC JR TX module doesn't work properly in the JR 9X II, but I decided to plug the module into my Turnigy ER9X, and guess what it works.

The problem is I don't want to use the Turnigy radio, I want to use the JR module in a JR radio.

Is my JR 9X II broken? Well it shouldn't be, it works perfectly fine with the Jeti 2.4 Duplex module flying my Mikrokopter.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:02 AM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htran View Post
OK, want to here something really strange.

The RMILEC JR TX module doesn't work properly in the JR 9X II, but I decided to plug the module into my Turnigy ER9X, and guess what it works.

The problem is I don't want to use the Turnigy radio, I want to use the JR module in a JR radio.

Is my JR 9X II broken? Well it shouldn't be, it works perfectly fine with the Jeti 2.4 Duplex module flying my Mikrokopter.
Ping glassfox,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=193081

Or have a search in this thread, Im sure Ive read about this before.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412471

Sounds like an issue with the ppm stream from the JR radio, got an O-scope? Your radio is in PPM mode right? Can you invert the signal in the Radio?

Maybe try a resistor (about 10k) to ground from the PPM signal.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
Isn't it weird that a LRS module that is designed for a JR module radio actually doesn't work in a JR 9X II radio set in PPM mode, yet works in a $50 Turnigy 9X??

I don't have an O-Scope, I bought this RMILEC because being a JR module it was supposed to be plug and play as opposed to wiring dragonlink or ezUHF into the radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire_Doug View Post
Ping glassfox,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=193081

Or have a search in this thread, Im sure Ive read about this before.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1412471

Sounds like an issue with the ppm stream from the JR radio, got an O-scope? Your radio is in PPM mode right? Can you invert the signal in the Radio?

Maybe try a resistor (about 10k) to ground from the PPM signal.

Regards

Doug
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:39 PM
Australia, WA, Carlisle North
Joined Jul 2008
1,202 Posts
Yeah a bit of a PITA. Try the resistor.

Regards

Doug
spitfire_Doug is offline Find More Posts by spitfire_Doug
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:11 AM
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
Ok, so I've got it working with the JR9XII. The solution is strange though.

So to summarize, I was able to successfully bind using both the JR9XII and the Turnigy ER9X, but after binding when the module was in the JR9XII the servos would go nuts until the TX was powered off, in the Turnigy ER9X everything was great.

How I got it working on the JR9XII? Instead of plugging in the antenna directly into the module, I used the extension cable. Strange that it was fine in the ER9X with the antenna directly connected, but on the JR9XII the antenna needed to be connect via the extension cable.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:21 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,095 Posts
What happens if, with the antenna on the extension cable, you
hold it as close as you can to the same place it was without the extension cable,
or hold it right against the case?
It's possible that Rfi from the UHF Tx, physically close to the radio is
introducing noise directly into the electronics, making things jitter.
Wouldn't be the first time. When some UHF Tx are used on the Futaba 10C, it can
cause the channels associated with the sliders on the side to jump around
by the equivalent of a couple clicks of trim. Because the radio beeps when the sliders
cross center position, the symptom is a continuous series of beeping (almost a solid
tone).

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
577 Posts
No issues when antenna is moved near the tx module when on the extension cable.

I do notice that the antenna connector on the TX module gets rather warm. Is this normal, I am set on low power mode.