SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Okay anybody have any suggestions? What about putting the shear webs on the other side (front) and just leaving that as is?
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,239 Posts
That is going to be a lot of extra weight if you are using 3/16" balsa on the front as well. My suggestion would be to grab a razor saw if you have one, if not, an new #11 blade, and start practicing surgery. Personally, on a plane that size, I would have just used 1/16" vert. grain balsa... but that is just me.
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:33 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Okay anybody have any suggestions? What about putting the shear webs on the other side (front) and just leaving that as is?
If possible, I would just laminate another layer of "shear-web" material directly over what's there already... of course with the grain running the correct way.. that would give the webbing some extra cross-grain stability maybe.. I wouldn't worry about the weight of the webbing peices, but I would probably use 1/8" or so instead of the 3/16".. but either way, you're only adding maybe a dozen smallish peices.. if you weigh it, it probably wouldn't be an ounce.. probably less then that.

Its looking very good though.. just keep plugging away. Its going to look great.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Not much time to work on it today. That thing called work got in the way.

Ended up I had some 1/8 balsa that I used and made the shear web on the front of the spar opposite to where I had the others.

One thing that I mentioned before is I need to be careful with the glue. I had to cut some extra glue out where the shear webs were going. This was glue that dripped on that side from the other day.

Picked up some epoxy, hinges and control horns today while out.

Will see if I can get the wing joined tonight. If not then tomorrow.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi King
Shear webs - if you want to get technical, the strongest way is with vertical grain pieces set centrally between the spars. Technical term here is 'I' beam, which describes this nicely. Snag is, you have place the webbing before the top wing spar is glued in place and it must be accurately cut to fit.

With a model like this, that flies pretty low key, what you've done should cope fine.

Power tools - if there's one I can't live without, it's a jigsaw. Right now, it's a Craftsman that I bought in early 1994 when we moved from 240V England to 120V America. Before that, I had a Dremel, which worked as well, if not better, and was a little smaller - good if you have to move things around in your shop.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
I actually have a Dremel that we have had for many years. That will come in handy for sure.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Okay actually joined the two wings halves together today with some epoxy. Cut out the spot for the ply dihedral with my Dremel. I think that will be a very useful tool.

The plans called for one inch up on each side so put the left wing flat and raised the right half by 2 inches.

I know it's not a major thing to some of you guys but felt pretty good that I got them joined together. A milestone for me for sure
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:35 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Major move there!

After years of intensely disliking joining finished wing halves, I figured out how to build a wing by starting from the middle and working out tip-wards. Either by building one panel effectively from the dihedral brace to the tip, propping it up to dihedral and building the other panel on the board -OR - joining my two balsa building boards with hinges, propping them to the wing's dihedral and building out from what usually amounts to the bottom wing spars and the dihedral brace.

If anyone's ever said a naughty word over fitting spar webbing between already placed ribs - accurately pre-cut the webbing pieces and use them to space the ribs. Again, from the middle outwards

D
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Nice ideas thank you. The hinge idea sounds interesting.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Major move there!

After years of intensely disliking joining finished wing halves, I figured out how to build a wing by starting from the middle and working out tip-wards. Either by building one panel effectively from the dihedral brace to the tip, propping it up to dihedral and building the other panel on the board -OR - joining my two balsa building boards with hinges, propping them to the wing's dihedral and building out from what usually amounts to the bottom wing spars and the dihedral brace.

If anyone's ever said a naughty word over fitting spar webbing between already placed ribs - accurately pre-cut the webbing pieces and use them to space the ribs. Again, from the middle outwards

D
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Major move there!

D
I dont like putting in webbing either but i do like joining my wing halfs together cause i know when i get to this part its almost done. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:23 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I dont like putting in webbing either but i do like joining my wing halfs together cause i know when i get to this part its almost done. joe
My way, the all-important joining's done much earlier

Those hinged boards - from Guillows. Have one three footer, one four footer. Best tools I have.

D
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:40 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
My way, the all-important joining's done much earlier

Those hinged boards - from Guillows. Have one three footer, one four footer. Best tools I have.

D
Dereck, i have a hard enough time building them flat on a table let alone on a angle that swings up and down . I have seen those boards before and they look like they work very well . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
One wing

Well the wing is joined together and surprisingly it stayed together. I added shear webs to the entire wing and about half the top of them sanded.

Wood order should be here tomorrow and just in time.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:50 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
The way the center section was designed in the original (at least in the kit I had) kinda had me worried about strength. Well that was unwarranted as it held up over years of abuse, I had a Fox .25 in mine.
I'm sure yours will be fine.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Not much progress today. Was up since 3am working, anniversary, eye doctor, kids school etc. and now I'm pooped.

BUT...I did get my balsa today!

This was supposed to be for two planes. Don't want to talk about the second one until I finish this.

I'm hoping to get a bunch done this weekend.