HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:52 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Those colored ones I bought first thing and just used them for the first time. They really come in handy. They were pretty cheap too but they don't seem too "cheap" if you know what I mean.

The whole thing about myself getting into modeling and flying I needed to not spend a lot of money. Even though over the last 25 years things cost a lot less for this hobby but always buying something cool hasn't. Daughter is going to college plus I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy building. Oh yeah and then I had to get approval from my CFO

All this goes against my philosophy when buying tools and equipment. I never buy the cheapest thing as 90% of the time it is cheap. I never buy top of the line because most of the time you are paying for a name and a few extra features you will never use.

I was all ready go get a cheap bandsaw, sander etc. but I have found so far that doing it by hand really isn't that difficult and I'm finding I actually enjoy doing it all by hand.

So for instance on my Radio. I bought a Turnigy 9x. Based on my research you have the 9x price level, middle would be Spektrum and deluxe would be Futaba. So normally I would buy the Spektrum but bought the Turnigy instead. I did do a lot of research first but I actually like the radio quite a bit. I have put many hours on it so far and it works great and gives me good value. I know a lot of you may not agree and I understand.

Now my soldering iron I got at Harbor Freight sucks and I will be purchasing a nice one in the near future.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Coming along nicely! I see your another CLAMP FREAK, like me.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:19 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Those colored ones I bought first thing and just used them for the first time. They really come in handy. They were pretty cheap too but they don't seem too "cheap" if you know what I mean.

The whole thing about myself getting into modeling and flying I needed to not spend a lot of money. Even though over the last 25 years things cost a lot less for this hobby but always buying something cool hasn't. Daughter is going to college plus I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy building. Oh yeah and then I had to get approval from my CFO

All this goes against my philosophy when buying tools and equipment. I never buy the cheapest thing as 90% of the time it is cheap. I never buy top of the line because most of the time you are paying for a name and a few extra features you will never use.

I was all ready go get a cheap bandsaw, sander etc. but I have found so far that doing it by hand really isn't that difficult and I'm finding I actually enjoy doing it all by hand.

So for instance on my Radio. I bought a Turnigy 9x. Based on my research you have the 9x price level, middle would be Spektrum and deluxe would be Futaba. So normally I would buy the Spektrum but bought the Turnigy instead. I did do a lot of research first but I actually like the radio quite a bit. I have put many hours on it so far and it works great and gives me good value. I know a lot of you may not agree and I understand.

Now my soldering iron I got at Harbor Freight sucks and I will be purchasing a nice one in the near future.

Sorry for the long winded post!

Robert
There use to be a 85 year old guy about 20miles from me who bought old tools and fixed them up and he had the bigest blockplane collection i have ever seen .I would buy old wood working tools from the 30s and 40s that he had fixed up like new and sell very cheap ,i guess just to keep busy at 85. He would also sell old band saws he had gone through and replaced bearings and blades and i bought that off of him and a cast iron drill press with american airlines stamped on it. I figure if these tools made it this long they wont be breaking down any time soon besides you cant buy and power tools any more with crome molly levers and adjusting wheels any more. I use the same plastic clamps as you do robert plus some thick wire ones i found at a flea market . The only thing that cost me alot was my perma grit sanders and that was 10 years ago and they are just as good now as when i bought them . I enjoy cutting airplane parts out by hand also its relaxing and does not take up much time to do. I would rather cut parts out than watch tv cause you cant fly your tv in spring. lol OH ! i do buy some tools from here but they are not very cheap . http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/Onl...px?id=68a078a2
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Dec 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
I would love old tools like that! I should keep an eye out at estate or garage sales around here.

Not getting much done today. Went flying with my son this morning (forgot one of the batteries of course) then heading out for some quality time with the CFO this weekend.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 05:05 PM
Villain Extraordinaire
Hell, Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2011
171 Posts
Yes sir, cheap tools you end up buying twice so it's just as good to get it over with and spend the $$$. I went thru 2 cheap soldering pencils before I spent the money for the Weller adjustable wattage solder station...and I won't need to buy another. I use those clamps as well, but I CA'd 1/32" ply to the insides otherwise on softer woods it leaves 'teeth prints'.
Futaba is overrated and I've decided recently to ditch my 2 Futaba TXs and get a Hi-Tec. Everything for Futaba is over-priced and personally I have no use for the direction they've taken with this S.Bus nonsense. If I wanted to spend $125 for a servo I should be spending the money instead to see a psychiatrist.
DeadByDawn is offline Find More Posts by DeadByDawn
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-A...3568460&sr=1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadByDawn View Post
Yes sir, cheap tools you end up buying twice so it's just as good to get it over with and spend the $$$. I went thru 2 cheap soldering pencils before I spent the money for the Weller adjustable wattage solder station...and I won't need to buy another. I use those clamps as well, but I CA'd 1/32" ply to the insides otherwise on softer woods it leaves 'teeth prints'.
Futaba is overrated and I've decided recently to ditch my 2 Futaba TXs and get a Hi-Tec. Everything for Futaba is over-priced and personally I have no use for the direction they've taken with this S.Bus nonsense. If I wanted to spend $125 for a servo I should be spending the money instead to see a psychiatrist.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Soldering without destroying on modern circuit boards is hard to do. This soldering station allows me to look like a pro.

dhyayi is offline Find More Posts by dhyayi
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:12 PM
Villain Extraordinaire
Hell, Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2011
171 Posts
I got this Weller from Hobby-Lobby for something like $40. Heats fast, comes with a few different tips, and most importantly is the heat transfer speed. I've made some NiMH series packs, and - like PC board work - you must get in and get out fast but make a good connection. This unit works adequately for mechanical joins, too. What you've got pictured would certainly do the trick, also.
DeadByDawn is offline Find More Posts by DeadByDawn
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, NE, Seward
Joined Jul 2011
6 Posts
wow, maybe ill build up the courage to build something now. been flying for a little bit for a few years, but i really want to build something, cause thats what i really like to do. i can understand how to put together the airframe, but the electronics are what confuse me

will keep following
spacecadet97 is offline Find More Posts by spacecadet97
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Do it! Pick something that interests you but isn't too difficult. I knew I wanted to scratch build something so slowly bought some of these hand tools as I could.

Life's too short to not do something that interests you. You may find you don't like it but you won't know until you try. Honestly if you have a good setup to work it isn't that difficult. I'm working with a 5' x2' space and right now it's perfect for this size model.

The electronics were the hard part for me to get my head around. I never even heard of an ESC until a few months ago. I know fuel engine sizes but all the KV, Amps, Watts etc. was and still is a little confusing but I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for watching!

Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet97 View Post
wow, maybe ill build up the courage to build something now. been flying for a little bit for a few years, but i really want to build something, cause thats what i really like to do. i can understand how to put together the airframe, but the electronics are what confuse me

will keep following
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:09 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One View Post
Coming along nicely! I see your another CLAMP FREAK, like me.
I agree, thats some clean looking work there... and yes.. you can never have too many clamps! I like it. I've actually found reasonable clamps that work very well for hobby stuff at the Dollar-Store.. those along with some heavier-duty clamps make life easy.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:35 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
HI Robert
Now I am bummed out - you got the same Harbor Freight workbench as I just bought, but at a much better price! It's a real good piece of kit for sure though.

Oddly enough, I have the same tube of clamps as you (and several others, I suspect!)...

You'll do well with this model - I lived almost around the corner from Dave Robelen, well, I was in MD and he lived in VA - and met up with many times at fun flies. All his models flew extremely well, as well as giving us a demo of how well model aircraft can be built!

My way of doing parallel chord ribs is to cut out the first one, get it to the right shape - make the spar notches match your choice of spar material, not the plan - then glue a couple of thicker squares of wood to it to take a pin at near either end. Then I cut out however many I need. Usually make the centre ribs the same shape as the rest, then trim them down by whatever for the centre section sheeting. Last one is to write the model's name on that template rib and toss it into a box full of similar templates in case I ever have an urge or need to make another wing.

Which I seldom do, but undoubtably would have to if I didn't keep the original template. Don't knock it - couple of years back, I built my sixth Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee using the templates I made up for my first, back in 1994.

Reckon you made the better choice, going with ailerons. A low winger with just rudder and elevator of that size will work fine, but you'll get a bigger flight envelope with ailerons, especially at that size. Yes, I have made a bunch of R/E steered models, of several sizes

Good luck with your project

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Thanks for the tips and comments Dereck. I was supposed to get the bench for Christmas but had a coupon that we were saving so now I can get something else

I'll have to check out the dollar store Grant. I will probably need some more clamps

Got some work done today. I added the sheer webs, top spars, and leading edge. Was getting a little sloppy with the glue and didn't notice. Will have to pick up some kind of syringe I'm thinking to get the tight spots.

Need to add some plywood parts to the wing before I glue them together. Will have to wait until my balsa order comes.

I actually was able to pick up the wing now. Pretty cool!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:52 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,239 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tips and comments Dereck. I was supposed to get the bench for Christmas but had a coupon that we were saving so now I can get something else

I'll have to check out the dollar store Grant. I will probably need some more clamps

Got some work done today. I added the sheer webs, top spars, and leading edge. Was getting a little sloppy with the glue and didn't notice. Will have to pick up some kind of syringe I'm thinking to get the tight spots.

Need to add some plywood parts to the wing before I glue them together. Will have to wait until my balsa order comes.

I actually was able to pick up the wing now. Pretty cool!

Hopefully you didnt glue the shear webs yet. The grain should be vertical, meaning that if you were looking down, you should see the cut of the piece, or the end grain. You have it going horizontal, which defeat the purpose. Easy mistake to make...
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Geez and I knew that too. Thanks for noticing. ARGGGGGG!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
Hopefully you didnt glue the shear webs yet. The grain should be vertical, meaning that if you were looking down, you should see the cut of the piece, or the end grain. You have it going horizontal, which defeat the purpose. Easy mistake to make...
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:57 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,239 Posts
Look at it this way, its one of those mistakes you are bound to make, you just got it out of the way early...
plane_tech is offline Find More Posts by plane_tech