HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
I forget now what my Electric one weighted, but it was rather light. With 250Watts, it was rather over powered.

Tip: to sand the spar notches, glue some sand paper to s scrap piece of spar materiel. Sand enough of the spar material to make up for the sand paper. Now you have tool to make perfect spar notches.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:26 PM
Villain Extraordinaire
Hell, Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2011
171 Posts
Hi there. Looks like a fine plane for a first build. Umm...perhaps I have missed this somewhere here in your thread, but am I to understand that you are building this with hand tools? You are a much braver man than I. Don't know what your expense projection looks like but these two items I simply could not build without : Mircolux miter jigsaw ($150 from Micromark tools) and the Fourmost miter sander ($18 from I forget where). The sander also has bevel slides and is incredibly handy. Did you ever make one of these, Joe?

I'll be following along here if you don't mind...Good luck, sir.
DeadByDawn is offline Find More Posts by DeadByDawn
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:49 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Robert the ribs look nice ,i can see you are taking your time to get them right. Deadbydawn no i havent tried to make a angle sander yet ,i dont want to get spoiled. I figure by the time i get the power tools out set it up then run it ,i could have cut it by hand already. I cut most things by hand and drag power tools out when things get real tough . I have the same hand tools as robert does but some perma grit sanders i cant live with out, plus a bunch i did make myself over the years . Keep up the great work robert the glue should start to flying very soon. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:43 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
good idea think I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
I forget now what my Electric one weighted, but it was rather light. With 250Watts, it was rather over powered.

Tip: to sand the spar notches, glue some sand paper to s scrap piece of spar materiel. Sand enough of the spar material to make up for the sand paper. Now you have tool to make perfect spar notches.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Nope entirely from hand.

I do have a jig saw I may break out for the plywood. Some type of hobby table scroll saw or band saw may be on my Christmas list but by then will be too late for this one.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadByDawn View Post
Hi there. Looks like a fine plane for a first build. Umm...perhaps I have missed this somewhere here in your thread, but am I to understand that you are building this with hand tools? You are a much braver man than I. Don't know what your expense projection looks like but these two items I simply could not build without : Mircolux miter jigsaw ($150 from Micromark tools) and the Fourmost miter sander ($18 from I forget where). The sander also has bevel slides and is incredibly handy. Did you ever make one of these, Joe?

I'll be following along here if you don't mind...Good luck, sir.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Yes the glue will be flying soon for sure!

Received notice today that my balsa has shipped! So hopefully no blizzards for the UPS man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Robert the ribs look nice ,i can see you are taking your time to get them right. Deadbydawn no i havent tried to make a angle sander yet ,i dont want to get spoiled. I figure by the time i get the power tools out set it up then run it ,i could have cut it by hand already. I cut most things by hand and drag power tools out when things get real tough . I have the same hand tools as robert does but some perma grit sanders i cant live with out, plus a bunch i did make myself over the years . Keep up the great work robert the glue should start to flying very soon. joe
Old Dec 08, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Building Board

Someone asked what am I going to do for a building board. For some odd reason I thought the pins would stick in the table top. The table just laughed at me and said "go for it buddy".

So I made my own building board. It wasn't my idea and saw it on here somewhere but can't find the original poster. Basically I bought a sheet of fiber sound board at Lowes for about $11. Painted it with Kilz primer, lightly sanded and ran some masking tape around it.

My son is doing a simple Guillow's Lancer and I made him one too. Works great!
Old Dec 08, 2011, 06:31 PM
Villain Extraordinaire
Hell, Wisconsin
Joined Feb 2011
171 Posts
I remember (barely) those days of uncluttered workbenches...those were the days.
What it looks like these days!
DeadByDawn is offline Find More Posts by DeadByDawn
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Deadbydawn that doesn't look that bad! Looks organized to me.

Got the leading and trailing edges cut, rudder, stab, fin, elevator cut also. Was going to start gluing but need to do a tad more sanding to make the spar fit and I'm done for today.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 12:21 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,171 Posts
kingconsulting,
Its a little late to add this as a tip, but...
A trick for doing wing ribs that are all the same is to cut two templates out of something heavier, such as 1/8" ply. Stack them together when you are cutting/sanding them to make sure they are identical. Once that is done, drill two holes through them, big enough for two bolts, nothing huge, maybe 4-40 or 6-32. Then rough cut enough rib blanks and stack those between the two templates. sand "gang" sand the ribs. Goes a little quicker and you know they are all the same.

Here is a link for a better explanation. Constant Chord Wing Ribs

Keep up the good work. Its nice to see a new scratch builder in the hobby using wood.

As far as the receipts from the hobby store goes... mine normally don't even make it to the parking lot..
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:09 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
Nice job there king!
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Tips are always welcome. It's never too late to learn something. So far cutting ribs seemed to be the most tedious to me but the thinner wood went pretty quick. Good idea and I saved the link.

Thanks for the encouragement. You too DGrant!

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
kingconsulting,
Its a little late to add this as a tip, but...
A trick for doing wing ribs that are all the same is to cut two templates out of something heavier, such as 1/8" ply. Stack them together when you are cutting/sanding them to make sure they are identical. Once that is done, drill two holes through them, big enough for two bolts, nothing huge, maybe 4-40 or 6-32. Then rough cut enough rib blanks and stack those between the two templates. sand "gang" sand the ribs. Goes a little quicker and you know they are all the same.

Here is a link for a better explanation. Constant Chord Wing Ribs

Keep up the good work. Its nice to see a new scratch builder in the hobby using wood.

As far as the receipts from the hobby store goes... mine normally don't even make it to the parking lot..
Old Dec 09, 2011, 07:41 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Tips are always welcome. It's never too late to learn something.
Here's a link to a site I did back in the late 90s, early 2000's
I forgot all about it until I accidentally stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago.

Not exactly the same structure as your building, but should provide some tips/tricks along the way.

http://home.comcast.net/~daverc102/spookmain.htm

I agree about never too late to learn something... I've been doing this for about 20 years, and I'm still learning; almost daily.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Dec 09, 2011, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
837 Posts
Let the Glue flowith

rcav8r2 I actually found that site last week somehow and already had it bookmarked Will look it over.

Started gluing last night! Have all the ribs glued in except for the middle ones which I will do when I set the dihedral.

I started cutting notches for the left wing (where bottom of rib attaches) and realized I was cutting the wrong side. It is 3/8 x 1/2" It isn't too bad and will add filler later.

I also had to add some clamps to hold down the building board as it was buckling a little. I also found the link where I got the idea for the building board:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1944

I didn't really want to screw it to the top so used clamps.

My balsa order should be here by Thursday. I'm sure I can keep myself busy until then.

Robert
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:54 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Coming along nicely! I see your another CLAMP FREAK, like me.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One