HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The snag in not having a Wattmeter is that you only have to watch the 'magic smoke' escape from a motor or ESC once, maybe twice, and a Wattmeter's cost suddenly looks far more reasonable.

An over-amped run on a motor or ESC is much worse in effect than a slightly lean run on a glow engine...

My 'real' Wattmeter - an original AstroFlight - is as old as my US time in e-power - isn't there a ch!#k made rip-off around that costs peanuts?

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
773 Posts
Watt Meter

Good price from a US Distributer!

R

http://www.valuehobby.com/gt-power-130a-wattmeter.html
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Thanks Dereck you talked me into it. I will have to get one. All my usual places were out of stock.

Thank you Meatball. Going to order that one.
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Spent the biggest part of yesterday working on it but trying to figure out what I got done

Well got the wing attached now. Was planning on covering the fuse but getting things fitting correctly/sanding etc. took a big chunk of time.

I got the bottom hatch done using magnets. If anybody is reading this these magnets are good enough for a hatch and beyond Prepare for a story

So I get the magnets from ACE hardware store. Cool! Didn't have to make a trip to the hobby store. So I get some 3/8" square balsa and use CA to glue the magnets to 4 of them. Let them sit and dry. I must have bumped something but all of a sudden I thought I was being shot at. Something ricochets around my work bench and off the wall. Scared the crap out of me. I look down and all my magnets are gone. Spend the next 5 minutes looking on the ground all over my office but no luck. I get up and look at my metal ruler....yep! half are CA'd to my ruler The other half were almost as hard to remove as the glued ones.

So I ended up putting lite ply on the bottom of the hatch. I can imagine it breaking easy.

Robert
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Prepare for a story
Ha, good one.... Scary strong aren't they? Careful you don't pinch your self with them.

THis halfway reminds me of when I used some super strong magnets to attach the canopy of my freshly built E3D. Back in the day when round cells and inrunners with deep gearboxes were all we had I built an E3D. I forget how they had you attach the canopy, but it wasn't with magnets. I remember reading about guys using rare earth magnets, but the canopy would blow off in knife edge. Well I found some SUPER strong magnets. Not having used them before, I put 2 on the canopy, and 2 on the fuse to receive the ones on the canopy. As soon as I got the canopy close, it SNAPPED down on the fuse. Yanked it right out of my hand. I had to break it apart to get it off. I ended up using the magnets on the canopy, and a striker plate on the fuse. I made a pull tab from some covering and had to use that to get the canopy off even with just the magnets and striker plate.
rcav8r2 is online now Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,308 Posts
I used rare earth magnets to hold my balsa cowls on but while i was trying to glue them in they would come loose and fly across to stick to each while my epoxy was drying . Took me days to get them to stay put while the 5 min epoxy dried and the cowl was in the right spot. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Woo hoo got my lipos today!

And they may fit!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I used rare earth magnets to hold my balsa cowls on but while i was trying to glue them in they would come loose and fly across to stick to each while my epoxy was drying . Took me days to get them to stay put while the 5 min epoxy dried and the cowl was in the right spot. joe
I used the rare earth magnets for my battery compartment hatch on my SlowPoke Sport 40. I glued them in with 6 minute epoxy. To keep things from sticking together, I separated the components with waxed paper.

Afterwards I found that the only way to get the hatch off the fuselage was by sliding it off to one side.
JohnSH is offline Find More Posts by JohnSH
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
773 Posts
Told You So!!!!

Strong Suckers aint they??? Great stories guys. Too bad this hobby is so boring...

R
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Okay covering time!

Covering the bigger pieces I would have thought would be easier but the bigger the piece the bigger and more wrinkles.

First time covering for me so it will take some time to get it right. Actually enjoying this part just going slower than I thought.

I know the wing is going to be a pain. Still have some sanding to do on that.

Robert
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,166 Posts
Still watchin here. Looks very nice there King. I'm at the covering stage on my project.... I'd just got started and my iron went out.. haha.. My LHS didn't have the iron I wanted, so I've resorted to the wife's clothes iron..until my new 21st Century iron comes in. I haven't used a standard iron to cover a plane in 20yrs.. I think I just wanted to ad a challenge. I had to take a few days off though, as some kind of flu-bug has settled in my sinus's.. I'm trying to shake it now.. but its been a real rough few days.

You're going to have a real nice plane. Keep up the good work...
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Thanks DGrant! Covering is a whole different animal and the only way I see to get good is to just keep at it. Most all of my mistakes I've been able to recover from. Some will be hidden from view and some I will be the only one noticing.

My colors so far.

Robert
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Feb 2005
773 Posts
Fun with the Pronto

I finally have my Pronto flying like it should. Need to increase the rudder throw to permit spins and rolls, but she is flying GREAT. Now to add the pilot and headrest. Keep up the good work..the airplane is worth it!!

Randy
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:06 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Nice! Great photos, and even better news. So glad you are happy with it and that it fly as good as advertized.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
805 Posts
Looks good Meatball. My pilot has arrived and it is top secret. He is going to require some customization though.

Robert