HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:28 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
585 Posts
Discussion
Vivell 35 Old sparky engine.

Several years ago I sold some stuff for an old boys family who had recently died.
As a thank you I was given a Vivell 35 spark ignition engine.

With one thing and another, it got left, but recently with my reawakening into RC aircraft I have been looking at it and thinking, it would be nice to make it work.
A couple of the engine guys at work are interested in helping, they also fly RC, but none of us have ever touched an old spark ignition engine.
Any ideas, help, info would be gratefully appreciated.
What gaps should I be looking at on the plug and points?
What mix, oil petrol?
Do you think the coil is worth trying with or should I buy a new one?
What about a HT lead? Any kind of wire? will a crocodile clip be OK to clip on the plug?

And the biggy, if we get it running, will it fly a plane?

Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,119 Posts
They guys I know flying Old Time Stunt control line with ignition engines are using a transistorized ignition system. I imagine if you go to the old time column you can find some information.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:22 PM
Joined Jan 2006
257 Posts
It all looks there. The two fuel tanks are extra, one is not for it the other I do not think it is for it. The use of a transistor is to get the high voltage current off the secondary circuit (so there is less RF interference, and a little easier starting, less pitting of points etc) is optional. The old coil should be very good, not so sure about the condenser but it only helps out on the pitting of the points I think.

If it turns over the only things you are missing, that I see are, to make it run are:

1. A high tension lead (wire from the button on the middle of the coil to the spark plug)

2. 3 volt power supply (Batteries, battery box switch and wires) plus connects to one of the secondary connections on the coil and ground to the engine. You get or make clips that fit tight. The 2 good alkaline pen cells are much better then then old D cells in the day. The last time I ran my Madwell I used 3 nicads with a transistor ignition.

3. Fuel (Gas mixed with about 30% oil (use to be SAE 70 in the old days, not sure what people are using this century))

4. Test Stand; with nice metal tank, or gas compatible tank and prop. Starting procedure to retard the ignition when starting then advancing to run.

It is sort of a smaller version then my Madwell 49. It is a real nice engine.

If it runs it would be good for a B size ship. With 2.4 you could get it to work with out RF problems, just as it is. I would put it in an American Ace (sort of a small "New Ruler"), but that is me.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Jan 2005
585 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, gzkpez, that is just the kind of stuff I need.
I knew this was the place to ask.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:53 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
601 Posts
http://www.modelflight.com/larrydavidson.html

If you are serious about running your engine, I wouldn't fool around with the old coil, condenser (capacitor), etc. Just get new stuff from Larry Davidson. His stuff works and is used by 100s (1000s) of OT fliers the world over.
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Dec 09, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
585 Posts
G Willie, I can see what you are saying, but for the time being, I think we will be looking at using what we have, no point spending money on electrics if the mechanical side is not up to it.
I will get a battery pack sorted, a switch, some wire and rig up a circuit to see if I can get a spark out of the old coil.
I sm pretty sure I will need a new plug, the old one was rattling loose in the box and has no gap at the moment.
Thanks for the info on Larry Davidson but being in the UK, I have found a company in the UK http://www.minimagneto.co.uk/ that sell plugs and leads, so I will probably go to them first, I am sure you will understand.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:51 PM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
601 Posts
Sure, I understand. See if you can get a new capacitor though. The old ones can go bad and are always suspect! Coil and other things should be OK
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:13 AM
Joined Jan 2006
257 Posts
Thanks

Let us know how it works out. I like when old engines do what they were meant to.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
257 Posts
I surprisingly found the instructions for your engine on the web when I was looking for something completely different (not even model related). http://collectair.com/File0052.PDF

Just remember that Oil and Gas are now different. As you are in another country the gas and oil choices are even different from mine. You should have generally much better choices in oil, and I believe none of that evil ethanol in your Gas (Petroleum). If you can check the SAM (Soceity of Antique Models) site for it might have information. http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...ion_basics.htm on this.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:38 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
G Willie, I can see what you are saying, but for the time being, I think we will be looking at using what we have, no point spending money on electrics if the mechanical side is not up to it.
I will get a battery pack sorted, a switch, some wire and rig up a circuit to see if I can get a spark out of the old coil.
I sm pretty sure I will need a new plug, the old one was rattling loose in the box and has no gap at the moment.
Thanks for the info on Larry Davidson but being in the UK, I have found a company in the UK http://www.minimagneto.co.uk/ that sell plugs and leads, so I will probably go to them first, I am sure you will understand.
Minimag is top class material indeed. Is Jim Shelley still making his magnetos and coils himself ? Did you know that Jim is (or was) a banjo player in a band ?
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:16 AM
Joined Jan 2005
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzkpez View Post
I surprisingly found the instructions for your engine on the web when I was looking for something completely different (not even model related). http://collectair.com/File0052.PDF

Just remember that Oil and Gas are now different. As you are in another country the gas and oil choices are even different from mine. You should have generally much better choices in oil, and I believe none of that evil ethanol in your Gas (Petroleum). If you can check the SAM (Soceity of Antique Models) site for it might have information. http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...ion_basics.htm on this.
I had already found the instruction sheet, but thanks for that anyway.

The SAMs stuff is very interesting, lots of good stuff there. Lots to think about and work out. Good instructions on making a HT lead and clip, also the wiring diagrams look good.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:19 AM
Joined Jan 2005
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Minimag is top class material indeed. Is Jim Shelley still making his magnetos and coils himself ? Did you know that Jim is (or was) a banjo player in a band ?
All I have done is look at his website, I havn't talked to him at all.
I like Banjo, I sometimes jam with a guy who plays Banjo, he shows me up a lot..