Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:10 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,335 Posts
Whoops!
Here we go again?

*sigh*

Another vortex ride down the drain? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552106

There is still time to back away from the brink, Happy.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:02 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
Almost at the event horizon I see.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:09 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
I keep thinking that eventually, people would learn to post within the ruleset. It seems someone always proves me wrong.

I side with the Jims on this one. If someone has accumulated 60-70 points, they should KNOW where that line is. It is as obvious that some people simply feel that the rules shouldn't apply to them for some reason; typically based upon how they feel they have added through content quality, or content quantity.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:14 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Last edited by HappyKillmore; Dec 07, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 07, 2011, 09:19 AM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,242 Posts
Why feed the troll?
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:05 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,294 Posts
You can't say that stamp... besides being ambiguous (it is unclear who exactly, you are talking about), it is against the rules.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:28 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
That would make stamps comment a group attack? The group being trolls? Or anyone who has posted in this thread? Or is it something else for simply using the word troll? And then do I get two points for using the word troll...or do I have to quote him or not quote him to get the points? Ack! Now I've said it three times!

Sheesh...after 6 years you'd thing I'd have these rules down pat...
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:38 AM View Post
RTumbler
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Widespread). Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:52 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
You cannot. Nor will you be told you have lost the ability to edit. Nor will you be told what the requirements are to lose said ability. But the rules are clear...
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Have you tried gifts? That always works. I'm thinking a nice 10 pound box of home made double chocolate chip cookies.... the soft, kind.... will go a long way towards helping remove any accumulated points and demerits.

I'll give you my PO Box number...
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:30 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKillmore View Post
That would make stamps comment a group attack? The group being trolls? Or anyone who has posted in this thread? Or is it something else for simply using the word troll? And then do I get two points for using the word troll...or do I have to quote him or not quote him to get the points? Ack! Now I've said it three times!

Sheesh...after 6 years you'd thing I'd have these rules down pat...

IMHO....

Stamp's post seems to be directed at a member of rcgroups (i.e. you), which would mean it breaks the rules.

To simply use the word ''troll'' would not necessarily break the rules. For example, the statement ''there are lots of trolls on the internet'' would not break the rules, because it is not directed at any member of rcgroups. BUT, as soon as you use the word ''troll'' to describe a user or group of users on rcgroups, that is when it breaks the rules.

With regard to quoting posts, if the post you quote breaks the profanity rule, then your post also breaks the profanity rule because the profanity appears in your post. If you quote a post which contains a personal attack, then the user who's post you quoted is the user who is breaking the rules, not you. Unless of course you are agreeing with the attack, then the fact that you are agreeing with it, would mean that your post also breaks the rules.

I hope that helps answer your questions.

Dusty
Dusty1000 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:10 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,033 Posts
Quote:
You cannot. Nor will you be told you have lost the ability to edit. Nor will you be told what the requirements are to lose said ability. But the rules are clear...
Yes, the rules ARE clear. If you were to follow them, there isn't any need to know how many points present the loss of edit ability.

Or, simply do not accept that the rules apply to self, and accept consequences of that choice.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
The only rule to my knowledge that is not completely subjective and open to any interpretation a mod may have is the rule about swearing. It's not even possible to discuss what trolling is....
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
The only rule to my knowledge that is not completely subjective and open to any interpretation a mod may have is the rule about swearing. It's not even possible to discuss what trolling is....
Yes, the rules are indeed subjective because they rely on the interpretation of the written word.

However, if the owner of the site knows what he wants, and finds someone that best interprets the rules as he sees them, and applies them to posts that other members call attention to, via the report button, then we have a workable system.

The biggest problem I have seen is that people, not all thinking alike, will disagree with the owner's vision and rule interpretation, and consequently blame it on the person who is moderating the reported posts.

Ultimately we either have to abide by the rules, or continue to rail against them.

Yes, the rules are indeed subjective; but so are the reactions of people to the rules. One can not say honestly that their reaction to subjective rules are objective, no?
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:35 PM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
For example, from the rules:

Quote:
Trolling (Group attack): The post contains an attack against the intelligence, character, or appearance of a group of users.
It seems quite clear to me. As long as a post does not mention any aspect of the intelligence, character, or appearance of a group of users, then it cannot possibly be a group attack (trolling).

Why do you feel this is impossible to discuss? Do you feel that this post breaks the rules, for having discussed trolling?

Dusty
Dusty1000 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty1000