HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2001, 10:38 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Multiplex Brummi, Miss 2, or Miss Europa, anybody have one?

I just bought a Brummi, and was curious as to the setups that you guys are using. I need gearbox ratio's and prop sizes, also battery size.

I wasn't sure which forum this belonged in , so move it if it's appropriate. Thanks guys ---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2002, 07:13 AM
LYON, FRANCE
Joined Jan 2002
190 Posts
Miss 2

Good afternoon from France!

Oh yes I have both; Miss 2 and miss Europa. Brummi is like Miss 2 thing.

I have to report nothing but just good on these two things. In fact I learned flying on Miss 2 and I was lucky with that choice. I would recommend this aeroplane to anyone, especially for introducing to e-model flight and also for advanced modelers wishing to relax a little bit...

Well I sterted with the confirguration coposed of a Grapuner gearbox 1.85 and 7.2 V motor using 7x500 Mah Nicd batttery and 8x4 Slim Cam prop. This configuration would not allow for ROG but starting from hand it would allow for very long flights! I tried later Graupner 2.33 and 7x500 Mah Nicd with 9x6 Prop. I never tried ROG but starting from hand this bring the plane really high, very good climbing, but not that long flights.

I also tried 8x6 and 9x5 Prop with 2.33 geared 6.0 V motor and with 8 elements 500 Mah Nicd. I guess that this would normally allow for ROG but overall flight time are be reduced.

I have the same good experience with Miss Europa which differs only in the wing construction. This one I use for water take off with 6.0 V 2.33 geared motor and 9x5 Slim prop from Graupner. I use 10 ements 500 Mah Nicd for this purpose and it lifts the plane from water without any front wind necessary.

recently I built in a S500 7.2 V motor. I have not tried this yet.
I am sure you will have hours of good flying with this plane.

regards

Rudi
RUDOLF is offline Find More Posts by RUDOLF
Old Jun 10, 2002, 02:39 PM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
I have the miss2 and really like it. It probably has 150+ flights on it and it's never let me down. I highly recommend it.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
Old Jun 10, 2002, 08:03 PM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
I have the Miss2 as well and it flies great! It ROG's easy with the Velkom 2020/27 cobalt and 3:1 GB/11X4.7 APC slowflyer prop. I need to repair the LG as it caught a curb and needs fixing. Hopefully next week with vacation it will happen.
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Jun 18, 2002, 09:52 PM
Perpetual Newbie
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined May 2002
92 Posts
If a Brummi is like a Miss2...

I have a Miss2. Don't know the Brummi, but if Rudolf is right about the similarity, maybe this will help. I have mine set up pretty much like the Hobby-Lobby site shows - 6volt Speed 400, Graupner 2.33:1 gearbox, Graupner 9x5 slim electric prop, Jeti Jes180 (18 amp) ESC (jumper on to disable the brake), 8-cell Sanyo KR1100-AAU nicad packs, HS-81 servos Hitec 555 receiver. 29 ounces all-up. I was probably a bit heavy with the glue!

Takes off from hard runway after about 20 ft. roll. If I leave the fan all the way up, or even past half, she keeps climbing until she's hard to find. Cruises at 1/4 to 1/3 for 15 min. easily, 20 min. if I keep slow or get a little thermal help. It was a good next step for me after the little litestik type planes. I wanted something that could handle the normal lunchtime breezes, and a Miss2-size plane can do that. Turns on a dime if you want, does multiple loops with the fan turned up, will slow down to a crawl for an uneventful landing. If the wind is up you'll need a lot more motor to make headway, so you'll probably use the battery up in more like 10 min.

If the Brummi is really like the Miss2, then my only complaint is the woosy landing gear wire. If you haven't built it yet, get to the LHS and pick up some stiffer wire and form it up from the stock piece. If I land in the tall grass it stops dead and bends one or the other leg back a bit, so I'm always re-forming it to get some toe-in back for better take-off control.

Mine will soon be a year old, still going strong. Just waiting for the motor to go out, at which time I may go nuts and put a Jeti 15/4 direct (brushless) in there. Hope yours has a good long life.
ms_stew is offline Find More Posts by ms_stew
Old Jun 18, 2002, 10:03 PM
Perpetual Newbie
Joined May 2002
92 Posts
If a Brummi is like a Miss2...

I have a Miss2. Don't know the Brummi, but if Rudolf is right about the similarity, maybe this will help. I have mine set up pretty much like the Hobby-Lobby site shows - 6volt Speed 400, Graupner 2.33:1 gearbox, Graupner 9x5 slim electric prop, Jeti Jes180 (18 amp) ESC (jumper on to disable the brake), 8-cell Sanyo KR1100-AAU nicad packs, HS-81 servos Hitec 555 receiver. 29 ounces all-up. I was probably a bit heavy with the glue!

Takes off from hard runway after about 20 ft. roll. If I leave the fan all the way up, or even past half, she keeps climbing until she's hard to find. Cruises at 1/4 to 1/3 for 15 min. easily, 20 min. if I keep slow or get a little thermal help. It was a good next step for me after the little litestik type planes. I wanted something that could handle the normal lunchtime breezes, and a Miss2-size plane can do that. Turns on a dime if you want, does multiple loops with the fan turned up, will slow down to a crawl for an uneventful landing. If the wind is up you'll need a lot more motor to make headway, so you'll probably use the battery up in more like 10 min.

If the Brummi is really like the Miss2, then my only complaint is the woosy landing gear wire. If you haven't built it yet, get to the LHS and pick up some stiffer wire and form it up from the stock piece. If I land in the tall grass it stops dead and bends one or the other leg back a bit, so I'm always re-forming it to get some toe-in back for better take-off control.

Mine will soon be a year old, still going strong. Just waiting for the motor to go out, at which time I may go nuts and put a Jeti 15/4 direct (brushless) in there. Hope yours has a good long life.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 10:14 PM
Perpetual Newbie
Joined May 2002
92 Posts
D'oh!

Guess I'll learn to pay attention to the post dates! If he hasn't built that thing in a year, he's probably lost interest by now.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 02:57 AM
LYON, FRANCE
Joined Jan 2002
190 Posts
Miss2 etc

Hello Michael and collegaues,

yes I second everything what was explained by you! I shoudl like to add that the only visible difference between Brummi and Miss2 is in the wing form. While Brummi has one dihedral Miss 2's improvement is bi dihedral. It is true that you have to apply more rudder with Brummi as with Miss2 because of this. But: be it Brummi or Miss2 they are both excellent aeroplanes! They make flying a real fun!
yes, the landing gear is the only critical point I identified; as you advised correctly one needs to improve it as soon as possible, if possible in the construction phase. I recently bought a fiberglass landing gear /Robbe/ which I am sure will stand all hard landings and takeoffs. If not, a sturdier piece of wire would help.

I was so impressed by Miss2 that I bought another one for further expereimenting with different motor set ups.

For those that wish to transfer it to a floatplane /which I highly recommend/ I am ready to send my drawing of floats which function very well!

I wish a lot of fun with the plane!

Rudolf /Rudy/
RUDOLF is offline Find More Posts by RUDOLF