SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:23 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
Question
Topsky Super Mini or Topsky 1 or ????

Hey y'all,

I'm trying to decide on my first true DLG sailplane and could use a little help...

I have quite a bit of sailplane experience, so the building and flying part shouldn't be a problem. However, I don't want to get a plane I'll get bored with or that I'll be afraid to ding up either. That being said, I've narrowed down my options to either a:

Topsky Super Mini DLG, or a;

Topsky 1.

(The Mini Fireworks DLG and the X-Ray Micro DLG on SoaringUSA.com also caught my eye, but I haven't heard enough about either to know if they are truly worth the money)

I would like to find a DLG that is fun, will fly in tight locations, but at the same time may actually stand a chance of catching a low thermal when conditions are right. Also, I have to deal with windy conditions a lot where I am, so it would help if the glider can handle gusts up to 15 mph (hence my concern the Super Mini might be too small).

Aside from my 2 meter and larger sailplanes, the closest thing I own to one of these DLG's is a Liftworx Swyft (fun, but anxiety inducing in strong winds) and an ArtHobby Zuni-V (which is awesome in any condition, but I'm not about to try and disc launch a V-tail!).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts y'all might be able to offer me.

Oh yeah, and one last thing, the budget is a HUGE factor in my options, otherwise I would just get a Stobel and call it a day!
davidbones is offline Find More Posts by davidbones
Last edited by davidbones; Dec 06, 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spell ck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:25 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,311 Posts
My suggestion is that, if you already have flying and specifically, sailplane experience, you should go for a "full-sized" flapperon DLG.

Because of the vertical-(ish) DLG launches and steep landing approaches possible with a good flapperon set-up, you can easily fly a F3K plane in the same space you might fly a 1m RE plane.

I've heard good things about the Topsky planes as "first DLG's." Specifically, the ease of repair and the fact that they offer good performance, for the price.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:19 PM
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
carlsoti,

so it sounds like the Topsky 1 might be the best bet!

Thanks,
David
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:38 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
Generally, the larger the span the easier to fly. I have the TS1 but not the mini. I am totally enamored with the TS1... Not hard to build, easy to fly and can take you quite a long way down the learning curve.

Go with the larger of the two, imho.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:05 PM
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
Thanks Jim, sounds like the TS1 is probably going to be my next purchase!
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:28 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,348 Posts
My TS1 has a TS2 behind it on the build board, and I have another mutt dlg behind that one. Too many toys and not enough time . 20 more days and the days will start getting longer! C'mon more daylight!
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:33 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,094 Posts
The mini's are fragile and bigger flys better.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
@JIM - no joke! this time of year kills me with how little daylight there is. I can't wait for longer days either.....

@david - very true, bigger does fly better, and thats good enough for me i guess.

TS1 it is!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:14 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Topsky 1. It will fly much better
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined Feb 2011
119 Posts
I have to admit I've been contemplating this exact same question. I have been flying a 2m full house e-glider and recently got the little micro-DLG that I have been flying at our clubs weekly indoor sessions and now I'm hooked on DLG's and want a bigger one. I was torn between getting the Mini vs the TS1 and was going to post the question looking for recommendations. I'm glad I found this post!

I agree with everyone and I think the TS1 is the way I'm going to go. I'll get it built before Spring then meet up with the local DLG guys and get them to help me get it flying right.
Newman12 is offline Find More Posts by Newman12
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
hey y'all. just wanted to update everyone. i went ahead and bought a TS2 viper. Talk about a sweet ship! and strong too!

thanks for all your input!

David