HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:28 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 1/10 Brushless 2WD Desert Racing Buggy

Not sure if there is a thread on this but figure I would Start one.....

Equipped with a 35A brushless system, oil filled shocks, and fully adjustable suspension, this 1/10 2WD Desert Buggy is ready to tear up your local track!

The Turnigy 2WD Desert Racing Buggy performs just as good as it looks. Its 3300KV brushless motor provides plenty of torque, and an impressive top speed. On a 2S lipo, it will pull the front wheels off the ground easily when running on pavement, but this machine really shows its capabilites off road, tearing through the corners and soaring over jumps.

The Turnigy Desert Buggy comes almost ready to run, just add a 2S lipo batttery, 2CH radio system, and you are set to go!

*This buggy features a full metal gear transmission and adjustable slipper clutch

Spec.
Motor: Brushless Inrunner 3300KV (3650 size)
ESC: 35A Brushless (35A Constant, 85A Burst, w/reverse) (XT-60 discharge plug installed)
Battery: 2~3S Lipo (2S recommended) [Required]
Length: 465mm
Width: 290mm
Height: 170mm
Battery Tray Dimensions: 188x27x49mm

Required.
2S 4000~5000mAh LiPo
2CH Radio System (Rx/Tx)

Are there spare parts and is based on another rc car as sometime these are???
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:09 AM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Looks like a decent buggy for the price BUT...add it to your cart and the shipping kills it...for me anyway.

Maybe wait till they get some in the USA warehouse...wishful thinking :P

Jim
Stamp is online now Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:34 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
I know the shipping kills many deals on HK but sometimes even including the shipping its a better deal than anywhere else. I know i really dig the looks of this buggy.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 04:23 AM
Joined Nov 2011
68 Posts
I definitely think it's a really cool looking vehicle, if you're already in the hobby and have a good battery, radio, and receiver for it it would probably be a really cool deal, but I imagine most people looking for a cheaper, but still fun truck like this, probably don't have that stuff on hand. Wonder how it performs though, might be a really good bargain basher.
PowerSet is offline Find More Posts by PowerSet
Old Dec 08, 2011, 09:29 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
That;s what I thought Powerset, of course one concern would be parts. Which is why I hope they use something that will take an established car's parts.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:33 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,523 Posts
I thought I already posted here. I think I made a thread on this car earlier and no one noticed it. I also really like this buggy and it seems to be a nice price. Will wait for USA availability and parts availability as well. There's not much like it out there.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:45 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
It's cool looking, but does not give the ESC much protection with the open body. I also would worry about parts availability, and having to wait a couple weeks for one.

It also costs about 50$ to ship to me in FL so the total is now $168.99, and it still needs a radio.
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:08 AM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
from what ive heard this is a clone of a kyosho buggy and parts are available on ebay.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:11 AM
Car Junkie trying to fly
United States, FL, Deltona
Joined Oct 2005
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
from what ive heard this is a clone of a kyosho buggy and parts are available on ebay.
Looks real close:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...sert-Buggy-Kit
Y2kGTP is offline Find More Posts by Y2kGTP
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2009
30 Posts
My kids got one for Christmas, and as a newbie to RC cars (I've been flying) this thing has put a lot of smiles on kids and adults faces so far.

It's definitely robust. A rear a-arm pivot point broke early on, but it's easily held together with a nicely placed zip-tie.

We're using 5000mAh hardcase zippy batteries, and they last a LONG time.

Brushless has PLENTY OF POWER as well. I bought the 3 channel HK remote, and turn the throttle speed to 5% for the little one to make it manageable.

Many of the spare parts are on back-order. Going to hit a well stocked car focused LHS to see what I can come up with today.

Fun, fun, fun though.
cherbini is offline Find More Posts by cherbini
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:31 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbini View Post
My kids got one for Christmas, and as a newbie to RC cars (I've been flying) this thing has put a lot of smiles on kids and adults faces so far.

It's definitely robust. A rear a-arm pivot point broke early on, but it's easily held together with a nicely placed zip-tie.

We're using 5000mAh hardcase zippy batteries, and they last a LONG time.

Brushless has PLENTY OF POWER as well. I bought the 3 channel HK remote, and turn the throttle speed to 5% for the little one to make it manageable.

Many of the spare parts are on back-order. Going to hit a well stocked car focused LHS to see what I can come up with today.

Fun, fun, fun though.
I'm holding my breath waiting to hear if Kyosho parts really do swap over
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Sep 2006
13 Posts
I bought one of these too, a load of fun and plenty of power. The stock tyres are fine for gravel, put it on the pavement and you'll lose your tyres in no time as they are a really soft compound. It does take a hard tumble quite well but the rear pivot seems to be the first part to break, I made my own out of aluminium to replace the stock one. The shock absorbers are okay but not the best quality, the turnbuckles are quite soft and can be bent by hand. I haven't had too many issues with this car and I'm really happy with it, I'm running in on a 3-cell 5000mah LiPo and clocked it at 73km/h and it wasn't quite full speed due to the thing being difficult to keep in a straight line due to it's soft tyres swelling quite a lot at that speed.
I have some Kyosho upgrade parts on order hoping that they will fit or will fit with minor mods. I'll let you know what I find out!
captchaos is offline Find More Posts by captchaos
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
I did some more research, it seems that the Kyosho has the same issue with the rear pivot breaking. It also seems that this buggie is a "close copy", not an "exact clone." Many of the Kyosho parts are a direct fit, some require minor modification, some parts can not be swapped. The easily broken parts, mostly suspension stuff, will swap with the Kyosho. In some areas the Turnigy has been improved, in others the Kyosho has the edge. The Turnigy has an all metal gear transmission, but many of the plastic parts are more brittle than their Kyosho counterparts.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
I did some more research, it seems that the Kyosho has the same issue with the rear pivot breaking. It also seems that this buggie is a "close copy", not an "exact clone." Many of the Kyosho parts are a direct fit, some require minor modification, some parts can not be swapped. The easily broken parts, mostly suspension stuff, will swap with the Kyosho. In some areas the Turnigy has been improved, in others the Kyosho has the edge. The Turnigy has an all metal gear transmission, but many of the plastic parts are more brittle than their Kyosho counterparts.
Yeah I'm pretty happy with the Turnigy gearbox, seems quite durable, I noticed with mine though that the diff outdrive cups had a wobble and that was causing a few issues, it caused the wheels to vibrate at higher speeds, it caused wear on the plastic gearbox casing and also wear from the the dogbones on the outdrive cups. To fix this up I took apart the diff and added another metal shim under the outdrive bevel gears to stop the cups slopping around.
captchaos is offline Find More Posts by captchaos
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
i've been bashing my 2wd racing buggy for a few days now and i've found it really quite durable. the only problems i've had were with the pinion grub screw tightening before it was pressing on the motor shaft so it appeared to be tight but was not, this is a quick fix with a better grub screw. secondly the spur gear is horrible. the plastic seems so soft. the obvious remedy to this would be ordering a kyosho spur gear (they are the same pitch and will fit) although i cant seem to find a supplier in australia that stocks them. other than these minor issues the buggy is great
mrshreddd is offline Find More Posts by mrshreddd