HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:04 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Yippee!
Lunch Hours--Who Needs Food?!

Dear All,

Check out Martin Godden's Half Hour Challenge. He's been thoughtful enough not only to put together a series of DLG tasks to try to attain, but he even prepared pdfs of score cards to take to the field.

I'll be attempting these, and I hope others of you will, too, so we can push each other to improve.

Lift! (You'll need lots of it.),

Marc
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:40 PM
Huntsville, Alabama, USA
Joined May 2002
522 Posts
Marc, I was just about to post the same thing!

Randy
RMoore is offline Find More Posts by RMoore
Old Oct 04, 2003, 03:55 AM
Rutland, UK
Joined Oct 2003
7 Posts
Pleased you liked the scheme.
Have another look at
http://www.barcs.co.uk
and you will see there are now some results in place in both the "Half Hour Challenge" and the "Personal Best"

Already one from Denmark, looking forward to the first one from USA.

Tony
TonyB is offline Find More Posts by TonyB
Old Oct 04, 2003, 08:15 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Martin or Tony,

Could you explain the Poker round in Personal Bests? I didn't understand the bit about "nominating" flights.

Thanks,

Marc
Old Oct 05, 2003, 12:50 AM
Rutland, UK
Joined Oct 2003
7 Posts
For Poker with a HLG you have to say before each flight how long you intend to fly.
The FAI I task has a working time of ten minutes and counts only the top five flights.

If you didn't think there was any lift about you would nominate perhaps 50 seconds, fly and finish as close to 50 seconds as possible (but NOT under 50 seconds).

The air seemed good so nominate 2 minutes for the next one, you fly for 1min 30 and don't make the 2 minutes, so that flight is wasted. Your score is still only 50 seconds but you now have about 7min 30 seconds left of the working time. Learned a lesson from that one and nominate 1 minute. Just make the minute, so total score is now 1min 50 secs. That minute was very close so nominate 55 seconds the next flight and so on.

The poker part comes from the fact that you announce before hand what you intend to do. If you fancy your chances then you go for long flight times but might waste the flight. If you are like me, very wary about what I am likely to do, I nominate short flights but get to count all five of them. I can then perhaps beat someone who nominated longer flights but perhaps failed on two of them.

All this within a working time of ten minutes, makes you think and also pay attention to the air before flying.

Tony
TonyB is offline Find More Posts by TonyB
Old Oct 05, 2003, 03:33 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Thanks, Tony!

Sound more like 8-ball billiards: "Seven ball in the corner pocket!"

Good morning,

Marc
Old Oct 12, 2003, 01:48 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Thread should read "Launch Hours".
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson
Old Oct 12, 2003, 03:25 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Good one, Wayne!

Strange, but since I've been performing windowed, timed tasks each outing, I've started getting fairly regular 3 min. flights (which for me is a lot). I haven't gottent three in one outing, but I now believe it's possible, even for me.

Funny how practice does exactly what it's supposed to!

Lift,

Marc
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:24 AM
Surrey, England
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Hi All

Just thought I'd jump in with a Poker rule clarification. It's nastier than Tony said, because once you have nominated a time, you must make that time to be allowed a new nomination!

Thus if you call 2 minutes because you think you see others in a thermal you can reach and the thermal then runs and hides (they do this to me all the time ;-) ) You then have to keep plugging away until you get over the two minute mark.

As you will have guessed this leads to some really low scores when guys place big bet. A great quote from an F3K meeting was a guy "Retired - humiliated" - he called 3 minutes...ooops :-)

Cheers

Martin
hlgflyer is offline Find More Posts by hlgflyer
Last edited by hlgflyer; Oct 14, 2003 at 08:27 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:40 AM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Hey, Martin! This is off topic for this thread, but since you're online and will receive notification of this response, can I ask you to...

1) Comment on how strongly you feel your camber settings are improving the performance of your Engima in each phase of flight. (EX: Is a good bit of reflex a requirement for highest launches? Have you tested it by measuring dead air flight times?)

2) Make a note to measure your camber settings in terms of distance of the aileron inboard trailing edges from the boom, and post the results here.

Thanks,

Marc
Old Oct 14, 2003, 08:57 AM
Surrey, England
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Hi Marc

In answer to 1... Yes :-)

I have played in dead conditions and found that reflex improved launch height and therefore flight times. How much reflex ... not sure but it was a fair bit and then seemed to not be critical (i.e. a bit more made no difference it did not make things worse again).

The camber in thermal mode is more subjective. I have noticed the plane flys differently and circles slower with camber (no surprises there). But in rough conditions (like most thermals!!) it seems quite critical and you are probably better off without it.

I've found my ruler (it was burried under the CNC foam cutter that I'm rebuilding for the n'th time :-) ) and promise to measure tonight and post tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers

Martin

PS I should point out that it was a post by someone else that put me on to lots of reflex, can't remember who or where :-(
Old Oct 14, 2003, 02:48 PM
Surrey, England
Joined Oct 2003
94 Posts
Marc

Measurements posted to the Highlight DLG flap settings thread.

Martin