HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by pecanpatch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, GA, Dunwoody
Joined Feb 2011
657 Posts
Run? I don't remember the last time I ran. I've got about 3/8" reflex and will give it a try. Your brothers paint scheme is cool. Nice job. BTW, I've got some good footage of yours flying at the patch to stitch together. Right now it about 280 Mb total and about 14 minutes. I'm going to edit it down to a reasonable length today.
BeechMusketeer is offline Find More Posts by BeechMusketeer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:46 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreet View Post
It climbs well and flies wonderfully and requires about 60% power for level flight. It can loop in it own length at that setting from level flight, but I find my self flying it at around 80-100% most of the time (few more watts would be nice). I just love how it slows down and remains completely controllable. Flying low, slow, and close in is just too much fun.

bottom of wing is painted "stealth black" as the blue foam disappeared against the sky.

Everyone who sees it fly wants one. I need to cut out 2 "kits" by my clubs meeting this Tuesday and loan out the templates and provide 3 sheets of foam for a 3rd. And while I am at it build a 2nd one for myself. This is definitely a keeper and like my Radian, a plane I see my self taking along no matter what else I am flying, just because I enjoy it so much.

Thank you Mark for the great design and build thread.
Wow man, this really made my day. This is why i went through all this trouble Thanks for all the kind words.
The plane is just awesome and dirt simple once you hammer thru the first one.
I love your paint job and I know myself and others would be interested in what paint process you used.

I used this rather inexpensive motor on the last 2 builds.
It will almost take her unlimited vertical. the engine has a lot of Noise. Not sure why, but for $15 bucks it was worth a try. I re-read the specs and see I should be using more pitch on the prop

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma63-2210-1100kv.html
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:50 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
Congrats on your build bgreet. I too just built and flew my first wing the day before Christmas. You are right, it is a keeper and I am already building my second wing. #2 will be equipped with lights for night flight. Yours looks great, is that paint on there?
Revo Dave is offline Find More Posts by Revo Dave
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
More planes than time to fly!
United States, PA, Willow Grove
Joined Nov 2007
85 Posts
Painting

Hi guys,

There is a great "sticky" in the scratch built foamies forums on painting. I only wish I had a small fraction of the skills demonstrated there.

I have had great luck with the Testors rattle can sprays, but they will send you to the poor house, and this time of year I need to paint inside and the fumes can be objectionable. I still find that the Foam safe Testors Flat paints make great primers, especially over tape and printing. I just use them very sparingly. First scuffing the shiny surfaces with 3m extra-fine foam sanding pads. Than I paint with the colors of choice. Lightest first. On blue Foam the printing comes off easily with denatured alcohol, or Isopropyl alcohol. I haven't had much luck removong the printing on the OC pink foam or the Lowes - Greenguard Foam.

The paints I used and have had OK results with are the acrylic craft paint available at your favorite craft or big box store in the craft section. They cost under $1.00 for a 2 oz bottle. To thin for spraying I use the Wagner Paint easy in a 20-50% ratio depending on the paint. You can find it with the paint sprayers in the paint section at Home Depot or Lowes. I get better adhesion than other thinners with the Paint Easy. Black seems to require the most thinner. Then I spray on about 3 or 4 very light coats on using a cheap harbor Freight airbrush. Each one cost under $15.00

This paint will scuff off if the surface isn't primed, but the best primers have carriers and solvents that eat foam, so I just live with the durability issues. The lighter colors are also not that opaque. But I just want to make my plane to look different from the others in the sky. and in the air it looks great. The Slo-Combat plane in the picture was painted by rolling on the paint straight from the bottle with a 2" foam roller and foam brushes. The results were alright by me considering that I was trying to crash it into other planes of the same design.

so that is about it... get a cheap airbrush, cheap paint, be different and have fun!

--Bill
bgreet is offline Find More Posts by bgreet
Old Jan 08, 2012, 08:26 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
Great info. Thanks Bill!! Keep building them, they look great.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:50 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,098 Posts
This is the same as the Tyvek tape but without the obnoxious words on it.

Best Tape in the world!

Here is the tape everyone wants. I just ordered up a bunch for my personal stash
If you buy over $25 worth the shipping is free.

I just bought: 'Intertape 85518 Sheathing Tape 1.89-Inches x 55-Yards, White' by Intertape Polymer
www.amazon.com
Aggressive solvent based acrylic based pressure sensitive adhesive, combined with the conformability and flexibility of polypropylene film, provides superior sealing, protective benefits, and ease of handling. Use for permanent seaming and sealing of joints in foam insu...lation and other sheathing materials, to secure lap edges in house wraps and other vapor barriers, repair rips and tears in roll and batt...
Last edited by pecanpatch; Jan 09, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:18 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
If you want to use an older radio for your wing that does not have elevon mixing, here is an easy solution.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-dsh-II/Detail
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
3,938 Posts
first bell bottoms, now tyvek

[QUOTE=pecanpatch;20373440]This is the same as the Tyvek tape but without the obnoxious words on it.

Wish I knew that tyvek was not not in style anymore before i retaped my old wing. now all the kids on the playground are gonna make fun of me
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Last edited by electrich; Jan 10, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 04:44 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
I think it's purty!!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,098 Posts
One of my Delta buds wanted a wing for his sons 13th B'day...
Here we are at 3.5 hours in.
I need to update the thread as there are some new things we are doing that make the wing come in flat and true.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:29 PM
US Army Veteran
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Finished my second wing.

Name: wing.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 82.3 KB
Description:
bigwhit is offline Find More Posts by bigwhit
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,098 Posts
Quote:
Finished my second wing.
Showing off some rc car paintin skilz there man, very cool.

Rig it!
cant wait to see how it flies
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:24 PM
US Army Veteran
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Aug 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Rig it!
cant wait to see how it flies
Rigging it this weekend. If the weather will allow next, I'll give you a shout so we can test flight.
bigwhit is offline Find More Posts by bigwhit
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,098 Posts
Hey Guys,
I used some thin card board to laminate most of the parts on the wing build, but really went all out on these 2 pieces. I e-mailed a .iges version of the 2 parts down to the sheet metal shop at work. They then wrote a program and punched these parts out on a Machine called a Trumpf.

These are 1/32" thick half hard stainless steel parts.
You dont just mark the foam with a pen with these, you actually use them as a guide for your box cutter

Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:29 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
718 Posts
That template will last forever!