SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by pecanpatch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 05:40 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,653 Posts
Maiden flight report: it flies! It balances on CG with a 2200 but has a bad tendency to want to go nose down. Put a 1300 in it and same thing. flies great when holding some up elevator. It was windy as heck and cold today. I'm going to adjust control linkages to have more inherent "up" elevator and it should be all dialed in. With a neodymium 400 motor from Atlanta Hobby and a 10/7 prop, unlimited vertical is easy. I really like how this turned out . Thanks Marko!
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:45 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
This plane needs a couple of Degree's of up elevator Rich. I should of put that in the thread. It's perfectly normal for this plane to do that.

They call the up elevator "reflex" . Im not sure what that means or where it came from but it's perfectly normal. If your CG is in the range given it should fly great with a little reflex.

We run 1800- 2200 batteries and they come in pretty good.

Even my great planes slinger wing needed positive reflex in the elevator.
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
725 Posts
Ditto for what Mark said on the wing design and inherit need of up trim built in on rig of flight controls. On my maiden flight a couple of days ago I thought I had enough elevator included on initial set up only to find I needed even more. Once you get it trimmed out it flys like a dream! I am using a 2200 Mah battery. I also added a mount in front for a small video recorder. I did my first flight with that this morning and all was great!!
Revo Dave is offline Find More Posts by Revo Dave
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,653 Posts
My brother, bgreet, mentioned the usual requirement for dialing in reflex for flying wings. It flew better if I kept up elevator on the stick. I have tomorrow off and it looks like rain, so I'll be spending time on the bench and get it all taken care of. Thanks for the pointers and hopefully others will share their experience here. If you are reading this thread and have not started to build one of these, get started- you will not regret it.

Update:: reflex added and the glide test was great. Should be good to go if we get some decent weather.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Last edited by electrich; Dec 27, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:51 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
5 hours of work here.
All the foam was leftovers from Lloyds build.
Per the DeGraaff wing and inspiration from Ho-Jazz.......
I put the leading edges together with angles cut on them , then folded it around.
In other words the Fan fold was not used for the leading edge.

I doubled the thickness off the spar and reinforced it with tape. Also the spar is 1/4 in shorter in height than on the original plans.(at the wing tip only)
The wing is 1 inch wider at the wingtip (added at the trailing edge)

Just searching for the optimal build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:49 AM
PecanPatch's Son
USA, GA, Griffin
Joined Feb 2011
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
I doubled the thickness off the spar and reinforced it with tape. Also the spar is 1/4 in shorter in height than on the original plans.(at the wing tip only)
The wing is 1 inch wider at the wingtip (added at the trailing edge).
i like the sound of those changes...
Jmurdock is offline Find More Posts by Jmurdock
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:34 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
Yes! the wingtips came out nice....... the spar stayed vertical... no creasing at the spars......... smooth radius both sides.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:00 AM
"Spike"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Joined May 2010
312 Posts
Leading edge

Thanks for the pics Mark, they sure help. Question, is there much trouble with the leading edge staying together when not using the "fan fold" edge for the L.E. ?
It must work ok, just wondering, and also a nice means to use up some scrap pieces.
I haven't started on mine yet, but getting close. That canopy came I ordered for the GeoBat, a good piece for the money, thanks for the link.
DelRay is offline Find More Posts by DelRay
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:35 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelRay View Post
Thanks for the pics Mark, they sure help. Question, is there much trouble with the leading edge staying together when not using the "fan fold" edge for the L.E. ?
It's a totally different way of building this plane. Its more time consuming.
It almost warrants a different build thread.
This plane would be stronger / faster (But some would prefer the other version.)

The leading edge held together fine. Its very pointy tho. I have not flown it yet. Sometimes this leads to pitchyness.

Here is a pic...... she is almost done. Im about 12 hours into it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 12:00 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
I finished the new wing.... took me 4 days with some decoration...
I think I got it down now
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:13 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
This is why ya gotta build one......
easily handles 10 -14 mph winds.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=2&theater
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pecanpatch; Jan 02, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:39 PM
US Army Veteran
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Great Video...I want to see the Video Dave shot from his wing.
bigwhit is offline Find More Posts by bigwhit
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
Me too Jim.
~~~~~~~

I heard about people ironing on some kind of Lam (Laminate)on their wings... like Zephyrs and such.

I needed to protect the Pink panther art work so I did some experimenting on a piece of pink foam.

I just drug out the Box of monocote I have and dug down to the roll of clear. I ironed a piece on some scrap pink foam and it did great. so I cut a bigger piece and ironed it right over the pink panther and was astonished how great it did.

I never get tired of learning
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:31 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,737 Posts
Yes, they still make it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHV18&P=7
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:33 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
725 Posts
Trying to upload but I keep getting error messages. I have one good video with a mid-air collision and a mid-air that I go to the ground on, just can't down load. Mark is right, the wing is the airplane to fly if wind is a problem for the day. We were flying with 10-12 MPH+ and they flew great. The wing should be a must-have for anyone flying RC stuff!
Revo Dave is offline Find More Posts by Revo Dave