HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by pecanpatch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:07 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Cool Dave....I hope you will stay longer at SEFF in 2012
Bring the Slashes too fella's.

Josh and I worked on his wing last night. We have been doing a lot of head scratching and experimenting to try and get the wing together with minimal warpage / twisting.

I think we found the key and it was right under our noses the whole time.
We pre-creased the top skin over the spar to make it lay down and conform to the airfoil, but in the past we didnt do this step to the bottom skin.

On Joshs new wing we turned it over and also pre-creased the bottom skin over the spar. This made it all come togther as far as keeping the wing true!
If both the top and bottom are pre creased, will this in turn keep the spar in a more upright position as opposed to leaning back like in the pics?
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,361 Posts
No. It still leans back because it is only glued on one side at that point. Soon I will build a new one for myself and I am going to make the spar with more taper so at the tip of the wing it is about 1/4" to 5/16" shorter. I may also increase the chord of the wing at the tip some.
Both of these things will make it easier to wrap the wing while minimizing distortion.
Has your brother thrown one together yet?
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
No. It still leans back because it is only glued on one side at that point. Soon I will build a new one for myself and I am going to make the spar with more taper so at the tip of the wing it is about 1/4" to 5/16" shorter. I may also increase the chord of the wing at the tip some.
Both of these things will make it easier to wrap the wing while minimizing distortion.
Has your brother thrown one together yet?
We both have ours assembled and are on to the electronic installation phase. I'm waiting on santa(aka mailman) to bring me all the stuff I need to finish her up- servos, LEDs and a prop adapter. Looking for a Xmas day maiden weather permitting. As soon as I get this airborne I'm seriously mapping out how to make a 10 footer.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:33 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,361 Posts
Chris DeGraaff has done a 12 footer. covered with lights.
Plus it drops 2 other mini wings... this dude has skilz (same dude building the B52)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:03 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
724 Posts
I am thinking about a mini wing. Something small that can be flown at a slow speed in confined areas. I live in a neighborhood that is very wooded with little room for flying. The only thing that I currently own which is suitable is my Ember. Is a small wing possible???
Revo Dave is offline Find More Posts by Revo Dave
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:44 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,361 Posts
The small wings are possible...
Many of them are screamers tho

Rich had one that was small and docile.... but you could also look here....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497083

also Hobby King has a bunch of them

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:48 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
724 Posts
I finished my wing, ready for the maiden flight. I think it came out very well. Anyone else thinking about building one should follow this thread. You will have a nice one in no time.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:52 AM
Newnan, GA
Joined Feb 2010
724 Posts
I flew the maiden flight on my new wing this morning. No wind, perfect conditions. First flight was very unsuccessful due to my fault annd having the propeller mounted backwards. First time with a pusher prop and I did not think it through correctly on initial installation. After a phone consult with Coach Murdock I was ready to try a gain. Second attempt was a 100% success. The wing flew perfectly with only a healthy dose of nose up trim added after initial launch. The wing warp was minimal during the build because there was zero trim needed for ailerons on the flight . The wing will be one of my favorites to fly I am sure due to how nice it handles. For anyone who does not have one yet, get crackin'. You will love it!!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:13 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,361 Posts
nice!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2011, 03:56 PM
United States, GA, Dunwoody
Joined Feb 2011
702 Posts
Had so much fun when we took the Geobat down to the "Patch" and flying Mark's wing that we are now hot melting a wing together. BTW, the Geobat is so nice and docile, even in a wind, that I had my 12 year old (as of 12/26) grandson flying it yesturday. The bat makes a great intermediate flyer or even a trainer for someone who wants to get a kid interested.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!
Joel
BeechMusketeer is offline Find More Posts by BeechMusketeer
Old Dec 25, 2011, 05:57 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,361 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Joel.... Merry Christmas!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pecanpatch; Dec 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,240 Posts
Another wing is born.

Basic build complete. Its too dang cold in the garage to paint it or put LEDs on it tonight. Going for a maiden on my lunch break tomorrow. Wish me luck. Plane #1 ready for SEFF. Got a lot of building to catch up with ya Mark...
Last edited by electrich; Dec 25, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:28 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,361 Posts
Very Good Rich! I've hooked so many guys into building these by simply handing them my transmitter.
Your gonna love it man! I hope my build thread is understandable.... to a point

I look forward to
golf cart flying it with ya at some future date.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,240 Posts
The build guide and most importantly the photos are great. Not too many parts to this so I just followed my gut and got it done. Probably gonna get a bunch of magic markers tomorrow and make a design to "man up" the pinkness. And I can't wait to golf cart it. New years looks iffy on the weather forecast and the wifey looks like she might have other plans than me flying.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:54 AM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,361 Posts
Lloyd Snyder's Completion
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4270
RCG Plus Member