HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by pecanpatch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:23 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch View Post
Very cool Rich, you really built 7 of them?
6 have seen wind under the wings. #7 (another little wing) is on the work table and #8(standard size) has all the parts cut out. I bought a dewalt snap off razor knife-- so much faster and better than razor blades or a utility knife. I upgraded my glue gun too. I was using the little 1/4 inch x 3inch glue gun and stepped up to a bigger hotter gun that uses 1/2 inch by 10 inch sticks. Makes doing the spars easier. It gets so hot that it nearly "welds" the foam. My last tool for efficiency is an old granite counter top to cut and build on which leads to nice straight wings. I think if I had all the electronics on hand, I could probably go from a slab of foam to RTF in 2 1/2 hours now. It's a good relaxing after dinner kind of project. I might get creative and see if I can put one of these wings on floats
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:45 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
728 Posts
Mark,
I see the reflex is probably 1/4" to 3/8" up at the trailing edge of the elevon.

Can you give me an idea on how must up--down on the elevon (elevator--Ailerons).
Thanks
EugeneFlorida is online now Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:59 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,410 Posts
Eugene, Elevators 1/2 up 3/8 down.
ailerons can go a lil more 5/8 up, 1/2 inch down...

We use 40-50% expo.

Please come to our fall fly in Sept 28-29th!
pecanpatch is offline Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tiggers Big Show
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,410 Posts
I'm trying to reduce drag on my FPV wing to get a little more performance from her. Check out the little radius trailing edge pieces I made for the Firewall area... I have a folding prop on the way.....also this little airfoil around the antennae mast. I'm going to experiment with props and have one for best climb and one for best cruise.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:53 PM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
728 Posts
finished and it FLIES
EugeneFlorida is online now Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,278 Posts
Congrats Eugene! They don't just fly, they fly GOOD
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
peacanpatch, I would like to skip the foam. What are the concequencies? Anything earth shaking?
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
pecanpatch, I would like to skip the foam. What are the consequences? Anything earth shaking?
The plane will be lighter and be able to fly really slow without the great stuff foam.
We give the planes a lot of abuse so we foam them for durability.
I like to fly the plane to me and catch it... I have had my hand break the skins before without the great stuff foam inside.

I double the foam spar these days. it needs it with the bigger motors we have been using.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Thanks pecanpatch. I will be running a 480size motor @ 950kv with an 11" SF prop. Not looking for a speed demon, just something to put way up and glide around.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
Thanks pecanpatch. I will be running a 480size motor @ 950kv with an 11" SF prop. Not looking for a speed demon, just something to put way up and glide around.
If you really want to glide make sure to set the brake on your esc or put a folding prop on it.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,410 Posts
A 480 is the biggest motor I've seen on them and it wont be a super speed demon but it will have plenty of vertical performance and enough power to tax the hell out of a foam spar........ fly accordingly

Launch at 1/3 throttle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Thanks for the advice pecanpatch. I dropped back to a 10" prop to fit the space. Only motor I had available. Naturally fighting tail heavy with the heavyer motor 2.1 oz.
I have only built the flat plate planes. How do you set the control surfaces? Based on a line through the cord of the wing tip or off the back surface of the wing?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:45 PM
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,410 Posts
When balanced properly , they usually still require 1 to 2 up elevon (reflex) to be trimmed out.
If you could be at the top of a slight hill with kinda tall grass for the 1st few launches it may save ya some hard dings on the nose til ya figure it out.

Get someone to gently toss it from the firewall with the motor off. Launch Flat and level! Not Upwards!!! then GENTLY ease in the throttle till you see what she is gonna do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Is the reflex based off a line through the LE and TE?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,278 Posts
Just my 2 cents, it's better to start with too much reflex(stall) than not enough(crunch) If there is not enough it will dork straight into the ground. I usually line up the elevons to follow the curvature of the bottom airfoil for a staring point and go from there.