HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupbones View Post
Think your right there scousethief. Sounds like the motors are totally connected up wrong. Would explain a lot. I have made this same mistake in the past when I was using my Gaui334 FC. Motors plugged into the incorrect motor ports sure does make it do some strange stuff. And not fly!
sorry bout that my connections are right im wasnt suppose to put the orientation

this is just the arrangement of the pins on the board

you guys have to trust me on the connections, ive checked it morethan 10 times i even put a mark on it.

when i said i plugged the mode channel to board while its on thats where things got messed up

all the PIDs were changed i remember having 0 on alt vel and mag and now i dont know but its all changed i really need help =(

Zombee is offline Find More Posts by Zombee
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:36 PM
Trying to learn.
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jun 2010
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
My problem is that in my ground tests, when I arm the board the blue light comes on but the props do not spin until throttle gets up to maybe 20% or so. More specifically, the motors do not start until my throttle gets up to roughly 1130 - 1150 or so (in the GUI). That is not a big problem to me, but I wonder if it is causing my problem.
That is because of #define MOTOR_STOP, defined in config.h in supplied firmware
leprud is offline Find More Posts by leprud
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:23 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee View Post
when i said i plugged the mode channel to board while its on thats where things got messed up

all the PIDs were changed i remember having 0 on alt vel and mag and now i dont know but its all changed i really need help =(
Zombee, I went through the same frustration as you, for a full week. I broke a couple of props and dipped an ESC into the snow just trying the maiden take off.
All the time, I was using my Vaio laptop to do arduino programming and GUI config. Everything was wrong: on static tests on the floor, with just the Crius board and the RX connected, I would get uneven motor spin on throttle-up and randomly the PID/switches would get modified values without me touching a thing.
After a week I gave up, went upstairs, heated the soldering iron, and started building a shield for the Flyduino Mega, with a WMP+, a Nunchuck, a 3.3V level adapter board and the Sparkfun breakout boards for mag and baro. And since I was at my bench, I also used the desktop to do the programming and config. Now, on power-on, motor arm and throttle-up, all 4 motors values went up and down at the same rate, with just a last digit variation between them. Then I went down to install it on the quad, and naturally I started using the laptop again, which is when all went south on the Flyduino board, as well.
So the inspiration hit me: got the Crius, went to the desktop, did a reprogram and config, install it back on the quad, went outside and flew it Everything was working as it should.

Now, if you want to reset the PID values to default, just download the MultiWii_dev_20120121 and the associated Conf, and reflash the board, then flash back to Crius_1.9

[LE] Oh, and use a different computer to program the board. First test woud be with only the Crius and the RX connected, powered via FTDI. Arm motors and put throttle to 75%. If one motor goes to full, two are at 75% and one is 50% you are still in trouble. Try another computer.
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Last edited by ThePara; Feb 01, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:10 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
I did, i have the newest java now, i have vista 32bit
anyway i would really love to fix my board problem

i have right pin input , left stick is up throttle move left right yaw move r down pitch move r right roll will move

3 top left
9 top right
10 b right
11 b left
Ok, so you are sure that you have the motors on the right pin outs? What you put here in this post is totally wrong....
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so you are sure that you have the motors on the right pin outs? What you put here in this post is totally wrong....
@Zombee

I agree.

No offence but we cant help if you give us the wrong information because the info you gave clearly showed that the motors were connected in the wrong order, now , if you are 100% sure that that wasnt the case then we shall be begin again lol.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:08 AM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
I did, i have the newest java now, i have vista 32bit
anyway i would really love to fix my board problem

i have right pin input , left stick is up throttle move left right yaw move r down pitch move r right roll will move

3 top left
9 top right
10 b right
11 b left
maybe a translation of the pictures from http://www.multiwii.com/connecting-elements will help

motors should be connected like this regarding to thie nice big picture....:

3 top left
10 top right
9 b right
11 b left
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian View Post
Hello KC flyer......

I chose the Red Board and am pleased with it.

The FTDI plugs into any USB port on your PC.

Olympian
Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing there is really no difference between red and black board? Seem like you get more stuff with the red at a little less cost.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
my first time using the crius board, what would be a good rock stable setting for my p i d
settings?..i want to use my quad for aerial photo work, no aerobatics ..I just want it rock stable any suggestions? input
AEROCAM is online now Find More Posts by AEROCAM
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:33 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEROCAM View Post
my first time using the crius board, what would be a good rock stable setting for my p i d
settings?..i want to use my quad for aerial photo work, no aerobatics ..I just want it rock stable any suggestions? input
From what I can gather, there is no 'right' settings that covers everyone. Many factors such as the distance between motors, props and other aerodynamic and hardware factors all effect the PID settings and what they should be. The best way I have read, across many forums is to start with some default settings and work form there.
I did this, but didn't find the defaults any good at all. Took a bit of tweaking but I managed to get it flying good without any sensors. Still have to finish tweaking the quad with sensors activated, and I found this is a bit more tricky then it looks.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Quote:
From what I can gather, there is no 'right' settings that covers everyone. Many factors such as the distance between motors, props and other aerodynamic and hardware factors all effect the PID settings and what they should be. The best way I have read, across many forums is to start with some default settings and work form there.
I did this, but didn't find the defaults any good at all. Took a bit of tweaking but I managed to get it flying good without any sensors. Still have to finish tweaking the quad with sensors activated, and I found this is a bit more tricky then it looks.
+1 there really are no definite numbers from what i have read , the best place to start i think is vimeo and openpilot
OpenPilot TV Episode 2: PID Tuning (36 min 51 sec)

start there and then move on slowly
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
I found this screen shot
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,385 Posts
Tried with and without Stab on, quick vid to show the difference, think I prefer the Stabilization off, just seemed more me
Anyway enjoy and be warned, nothing happens in the vid sorry

Stab test.mp4 (8 min 24 sec)
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
414 Posts
I got my lite board flying very well in both acro and stable modes. although I much more like the agility of the copter with stable mode OFF I find the ACC is kind of useless...

I am very close to having "submarine" type stability. Throttle Attenuation set to .25 really smoothed out vertical movement

I will try to post some videos soon
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:45 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
549 Posts
From what i can tell, you need to do some heavy tweaking to get the stability correct, and same with the other sensors. Keep trying with different PID settings for the sensors. You should get it right in the long run.....
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
Thanks for the input ! I will post my settings and video when done