HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:22 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
561 Posts
Thanks scousethief. I have been searching for some clear instructions. Its amazing how you can search and search, but just ask and someone will seem to have a link that never comes up in a decent search.
Its late here now, but I think I will have to make up a cable to connect my FTDI to the BT. so it looks like its off to the electronic part shop tomorrow to buy some bits and bobs. I can do a straight connection of my FTDI and BT but the RX &TX are around the wrong way.
The phones see's the BT module fine. Just cant send commands, so s i stated earlier, probably the baud rate has not changed.
I can't see why the programmers of the Multiwii Config Android App just don't put in a feature to allow the phones BT to go to another baud rate.
Would save a lot of headaches for people.
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Apologies for the 2nd post but i do have a question...

I have a slight tremor in my Quad , ive been working through my PiD settings to remove it or at least tone it down, but no matter what settings i use it is still there, although sometimes its takes a few seconds to show or for me to notice it. While i had my FTDI connect i armed the throttle ( no battery )via the TX and moved the throttle to the mid position, i noticed that there are some big differences in the motor display regarding "rpm" (for want of a better word , see attached pic which was taken on a flat level floor) , now my throttle jumps in numbers by maybe 2 or 3 randomly but the motors can jump 1-40 sometimes even more.

Any ideas ?

The 2-3 values that the throttle channel jumps are much less than 1 click of sub trim. I thought it was interference but its not, this jumping in "throttle vlaues" for the four motors would probably account for the tremor, is their a throttle filter ? or something similar , i have completely reset my TX and centred all values and settings regarding the TX/multiwii ready to start again.
scousethief is online now Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:37 AM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupbones View Post
Thanks scousethief. I have been searching for some clear instructions. Its amazing how you can search and search, but just ask and someone will seem to have a link that never comes up in a decent search.
Its late here now, but I think I will have to make up a cable to connect my FTDI to the BT. so it looks like its off to the electronic part shop tomorrow to buy some bits and bobs. I can do a straight connection of my FTDI and BT but the RX &TX are around the wrong way.
The phones see's the BT module fine. Just cant send commands, so s i stated earlier, probably the baud rate has not changed.
I can't see why the programmers of the Multiwii Config Android App just don't put in a feature to allow the phones BT to go to another baud rate.
Would save a lot of headaches for people.
the only problem is to find out the actual baud rate from your bluetooth module.
only if this is set correct (in terminal program !! , NOT just windows), u are able to change it via AT commands.

some modules are set to 9600, some 19200..., u ll find out by try and error.

i used "putty" to change the baudrate , as its free software.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteskind View Post
the only problem is to find out the actual baud rate from your bluetooth module.
only if this is set correct (in terminal program !! , NOT just windows), u are able to change it via AT commands.

some modules are set to 9600, some 19200..., u ll find out by try and error.

i used "putty" to change the baudrate , as its free software.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
what are you talking about ? thats exactly what was posted by me lol baud rate in windows ??? i think you got lost readin what was written
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
what are you talking about ? thats exactly what was posted by me lol baud rate in windows ??? i think you got lost readin what was written
no, u didnt, i culdnt read it although had a second look to your posting + link..

just wanted to make clear, that u can NOT change baudrate before knowing the baudrate the BT modul is actually set to.
unless settings in terminal program matching BT mmodule baudrate u wont get an "ok" after command "AT".

and exact that causes the most problems some users have in changing the baudrate.

hm, maybe i should write in again in other words.....

to get access to the BT module via AT commands it is necessary to set the terminal program (f.e. putty) to the baudrate matching the BT module . this is in most cases NOT 115k, but mostly 9600 or 19200, depends on the factory settings from BT module. think only way to figure out the initially baudrate is try + error.
Last edited by alteskind; Jan 30, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:43 AM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Black or Red Board

I'm getting ready to buy my first board for my first quad (ie, complete heli noob).

I'm looking at goodluckbuy and see a black board for $78.71 (sku 78001) and a red board for $74.59 (sku 77767). They both have the FTDI connections but the cheaper one looks like it comes with more cables/CD/stuff.

What's the difference (besides $4.12)?

Do those FTDI modules simply plug into a USB port on my laptop or do I need something else?

Thanks
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteskind View Post
no, u didnt, i culdnt read it although had a second look to your posting + link..

just wanted to make clear, that u can NOT change baudrate before knowing the baudrate the BT modul is actually set to.
unless settings in terminal program matching BT mmodule baudrate u wont get an "ok" after command "AT".

and exact that causes the most problems some users have in changing the baudrate.

hm, maybe i should write in again in other words.....

to get access to the BT module via AT commands it is necessary to set the terminal program (f.e. putty) to the baudrate matching the BT module . this is in most cases NOT 115k, but mostly 9600 or 19200, depends on the factory settings from BT module. think only way to figure out the initially baudrate is try + error.
Really ? , didnt know that , i changed my baudrate without knowing anything about my BT device , just plugged it into my ftdi and used the AT commands , but ,whatever makes you feel good, nothing on that other posting about knowing the baudrate either........discussion over , i was only offering advice.

Back to the information now.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Really ? , didnt know that , i changed my baudrate without knowing anything about my BT device , just plugged it into my ftdi and used the AT commands , but ,whatever makes you feel good, nothing on that other posting about knowing the baudrate either........discussion over , i was only offering advice.

Back to the information now.
as you posted : "i used one of the demo versions ( damn thing has ran out so i cant even do it again : )"

maybe with that demo-program it works for a short time without knowing the baudrate.

for use with terminal progs like putty oder windows hyperterminal u need to know the baudrate from BT module.
everyone who knows this, will have no problem to change baudrate like desribed in your link.

me just wanted to help too

maybe some update would make the linked howto perfect
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Bornem
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
starters guide extra help

Somebody out there with time update the setup guide?

I have the SE board.
I have been reading about making changes to config.h , def.h , multiwiiconfig_1_9.pde.

On my computer I have a folder named MultiwiiConfig_1_9 and a folder Multiwii_1_9.
In the Multiwiiconfig_1_9 folder I have the application.windows32 folder where I found the Multiwiiconfig_1_9.exe file for starting the program for making PID changes.

I also have arduino-0023 folder with arduino.exe.

I also downloaded the Multiwii_1_9_Crius.zip.

Question.

Can I use my board without making any changes (except the changes in Multiwiiconfig_1_9.exe such as PID tweaking)?

If I want to change anything how do I do it?

What file do I use, I have the SE board does it need a 90 orientation change?

I have a Multiwii_1_9.pde file and a Multiwiiconfig_1_9.pde file, from the Multiwii_1_9_Crius.zip I also have a Multiwii_1_9.pde file.

If I screw everything up can I go back to the original situation (the board as it was new bought).

I've been reading this since the beginning and sometimes people are talking about making changes but I can't figure out if they are needed for the lite version or for the SE version.

Maybe in the future we can say first if we are talking about the simple lite version or the SE version with BARO en MAGNO meter or if it is for both.

Sorry for all the questions
but in an earlyer post I find good pictures how to connect it to a receiver and this was also helpfull for me.
If someone can add all this in "Newbies guide to CRIUS MultiWii SE board and software.pdf" the we have all the necessary information centralized.

I think a lot of people are interested in the wireless comunication module from GLB : http://www.goodluckbuy.com/apc220-wi...r-arduino.html

so a step by step will be very helpfull.

So at the end I want to thank everyone who is willing to help all the new ones in the multirotor world.

greetings

Geert
geertje is offline Find More Posts by geertje
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
pm1
Germany, BY, Gestratz
Joined Oct 2008
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertje View Post
Can I use my board without making any changes (except the changes in Multiwiiconfig_1_9.exe such as PID tweaking)?
Yes, no problem...

Quote:
If I want to change anything how do I do it?
You have 2 options:
1. the original 1.9 version
- Here you have to define the hardware options in config.h

2. the crius version
- Here the hardware ist already defined

For both options: open the Multiwii_1_9.pde file in arduino 0.23, make your changes, connect serial, press upload...

Quote:
What file do I use, I have the SE board does it need a 90 orientation change?
no

Quote:
If I screw everything up can I go back to the original situation (the board as it was new bought).
not excatly, because you can't download the version, which is on the board afaik, but both the crius version and the "normal" 1.9 version works without problems.

Best regards
Peter
pm1 is offline Find More Posts by pm1
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Dec 2007
83 Posts
Hello KC flyer......

I chose the Red Board and am pleased with it.

The FTDI plugs into any USB port on your PC.

Olympian
Olympian is offline Find More Posts by Olympian
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
i just finished building my quad and i ran into a big problem, 1st is my Java GUI window is messed up the screen is in the middle but i have to move the screen to the upper left to match up with the window

2nd, When i arm the board i and look on the gui then i throttle up i get no balance values (autolevel off) one of the motor slows down gradually as i see the gui values goes down
Quote:
Originally Posted by emadine View Post
Have u calibrate the gyro and Acc
That is the problem, before when i press calib mag and acc it will give me a window box to say what to do now it dont, i dont know if im doing changes and things.

i think i messed it up i dont know but one time i when im trying to plug the ch 5 to the mode pin when it was on and when i did it, lights went crazy, now when i re read the gui it gave me different values and stuff. it was different i did reupload the code but nothing changed
Zombee is offline Find More Posts by Zombee
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Would like to have one
LT Smart is offline Find More Posts by LT Smart
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:17 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Found this the other day
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee View Post
That is the problem, before when i press calib mag and acc it will give me a window box to say what to do now it dont, i dont know if im doing changes and things.

i think i messed it up i dont know but one time i when im trying to plug the ch 5 to the mode pin when it was on and when i did it, lights went crazy, now when i re read the gui it gave me different values and stuff. it was different i did reupload the code but nothing changed
also one thing, when its on autolevel its all gud but when its off, uper and lower left values on GUI will slowly decrease
Zombee is offline Find More Posts by Zombee