Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:09 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Thanks! I feel less worried now.

New price from Volcano on eBay, $44 shipped
Old price from http://www.goodluckbuy.com/mwc-multi...ard-quadx.html $41 shipped

ordered an SE bd 12/13...delivered Austin,TX 1/3

of course all the Chinese are out until almost the end of the month for Chinese NewYear, so you have to add that in also...
Atx_Heli is online now Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Jan 14, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Mine showed up a couple of hours ago. Installed, tested, two thumbs up!

Some things I noticed:
A little larger than the MiniWii
When plugged into my computer it goes tick tick tick like a clock.
The servos jump around a bit when the code is being down loaded, more than I recall with the MiniWii.
No soldering required, all the pins are already in place.
The cables provided are all that is needed to hook up the Rx.

So far flying great!

Crius lite control board (0 min 42 sec)
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 14, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Hm, about that... T-copter? I'm not sure I saw a servo in there, how is the yaw handled? I have a quad here that is grounded. One broken motor, three left. I could use those to convert it into a tripcopter I think. But I'm not so sure I want to mess with servos. How did you do it?

EDIT: Hrm. Nevermind, a tricopter needs a servo. That makes the build a bit too difficult, I'll just keep the current quad and fly it later once I've replaced the broken motor.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Last edited by WiseDuck; Jan 14, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
53 Posts
please let esc are ideal for operating in multiwii.
what requirements are needed?
chebari is offline Find More Posts by chebari
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
741 Posts
The last few days haven't been great

Got my SE board and finished my tricopter. I have been flying a 220mm arm length quad FPV for a couple of months using a KK board and was really looking forward to a superior camera platform that the autoleveling and altitude hold should give....but its been a bad few days...

I never could get the tricopter to settle down..with 11x4.7s it flew okay but I needed the power that 12x6s would give with my motors...but I never could get it to fly smoothly....motors and props were precisely balanced, it seemed that vibration still was making the controller go nuts...holding the model down and throttling up you could see the motor outputs jumping a lot on the config program...

thought it was the yaw mechanism...ie slop..you could see the back motor "dancing"....I am using a TREX600 tail blade holder for the pivot mechanism..worked on that a bunch till it was 100% slop free, and it helped, but still couldn't get consistent operation...acro mode was hard to get it to hold altitude in hover, stable mode drifted a lot, forget about baro working...

I spent hours on PID settings....changed the controller mount three times, even tried just letting sit on some soft foam free floating...tried the LPF settings (that helped some, but not enough and the copter becomes too "mushy")

the best was just not as good as the quad with the simple KK board with its can gyros....

so today I said screw the tricopter, lets move the SE board to my trusty little quad..although it can barely lift the HD FPV gear....if it works there, I'll go back to the tricopter in the future and try to figure out why I can't get it to work ..

mounted the SE board on soft wing saddle foam and then a layer of gyro foam..just to be sure
first tests held promise, flies a lot better than the tri, but not as good as with the KK board...the biggest problem is power surging...it will be in a stable almost hands off hover in acro mode, and then surge up for a second...its the same thing I saw with the Tricopter...
again, gyro data lines are pretty calm, but the motor outputs are jumping around a LOT...
so while trying to get it to work, one of the surges sent it up into the branches of a tree over my driveway, and now I don't even have my quad to fly (until I rebuild it)...bummer...

my impression so far of the SE board is that its gyros are way too senstive to minor vibrations....like I said, props and motors balanced...and feels very smooth in my hand when throttling up (not perfectly still, but very low vibrations)...and I had the KK board hard mounted to the quad with some double sided 3M thin foam tape before, and it worked perfectly...

oh well
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
so while trying to get it to work, one of the surges sent it up into the branches of a tree over my driveway, and now I don't even have my quad to fly (until I rebuild it)...bummer...

my impression so far of the SE board is that its gyros are way too senstive to minor vibrations....like I said, props and motors balanced...and feels very smooth in my hand when throttling up (not perfectly still, but very low vibrations)...and I had the KK board hard mounted to the quad with some double sided 3M thin foam tape before, and it worked perfectly...

oh well
Surging up is not gyros, gyros only deal with rotation, they have no concept of up and down. It will be the Z-axis of the accelerometer. Disable the acc and see if it runs ok on just gyros.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
53 Posts
chebari is offline Find More Posts by chebari
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chebari View Post
chebari,

Many different esc's will work.

Here is a link to esc information used with multiwii.

I would also recommend looking at different specific builds in this multicopter forum and see which esc's have been used successfully.

Good luck!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:17 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
Surging up is not gyros, gyros only deal with rotation, they have no concept of up and down. It will be the Z-axis of the accelerometer. Disable the acc and see if it runs ok on just gyros.
not quite correct...if the gyro outputs are noisy, telling the controller to correct pitch and/or roll wildly, you get jumping outputs to the motors...you can hear it, but sometime its not evident in the model movement due to inertia if the jumping is quick enough..

so if they are jumping around, the AVERAGE power is a lot less than the instantaneous PEAK power being applied....and if the stars align momentarily you get a power burst from a peak jump on all motors...I see it in the graphs when holding the model on the ground loosely...but strangely, its doesn't appear too bad in the gryo output traces...even the Z-ACC is fairly clean....maybe I didn't have the magnification high enough (was at 1.5X)

and this WAS in acro mode, ie LEVEL accelerometers are not being used...it was a problem in stable mode also (LEVEL activated, accs being used)...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli View Post
not quite correct...if the gyro outputs are noisy, telling the controller to correct pitch and/or roll wildly, you get jumping outputs to the motors...you can hear it, but sometime its not evident in the model movement due to inertia if the jumping is quick enough..
Hang on, you said "one of the surges sent it up into the branches of a tree over my driveway" Now ITG3200 gyros under Multiwii don't tend to do that. It would require all 4 motors to accelerate at once. If the ACC was off, is there a chance you have noisy throttle input?
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erknie View Post
Hang on, you said "one of the surges sent it up into the branches of a tree over my driveway" Now ITG3200 gyros under Multiwii don't tend to do that. It would require all 4 motors to accelerate at once. If the ACC was off, is there a chance you have noisy throttle input?
same system flies all my other RC helis, foamies, and was flying the quad just fine, until I changed to the MultiWii board....the config tool says its steady and smooth on throttle input to the board....

I had to run more throttle input to get them to hover so if there was a "lull" in the noise from the gyros I get a lot more effective throttle...like I said, I can
1) hear it
2) see it
3) see it on the config tool motor output traces when I hold it indoors connected to the computer....jumping jumping and then all peaks align momentarily (probably a lull in the noise pattern letting everyone max at the same time)

I just put the KK board on the Tricopter for grins, and it had some trouble also...until I put back on the 11x4.7 props...(no, the 12x6s are balanced, so its not that)...it flies smoothly now....I have P maxed and I 20%...very flyable...will finish the FPV conversion until I rebuild my small quad...

my conclusions at this point are:
1) the SE board (at least mine) is very sensitive to vibs...it failed on the Tri (horribly with 12x6 props, less so, but not at an acceptable level with 11x4.7s) and it failed on my proven Quad (at least it was very smooth with the KK board..you can see videos of the FPV flights on my YouTube channel: ATXHELI)....
2) the Tricopter with the 12x6 props is generating some vibrations due to airstream impacts on the arms, frequency of rotation, or some other effect, more so than with 11x4.7s running at a higher speed with less "bite"...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:43 AM
bucharest, romania
Joined Jan 2008
25 Posts
@Atx_Heli, change te refresh rate of the gyro to 10Hz. my quad did exactly like yours. from the vibrations, the gyros went crazy. the PCB is mounted on the frame with two pieces of double sided tape. now with 10hz refresh rate, is stable as a rock. but i can't get it to work with the acc and other sensors. work in progress
hash84 is offline Find More Posts by hash84
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:17 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Hrm, I'm gonna test my quad again later today. I've flown using my FPV gear (First time for me, pretty scary the first time, tons of fun once you get used to it!) twice now and had no issues, altho I flew around slowly.

I think I've seen some videos of yours online. Now, the board seems to be somewhat sensitive but it shouldn't be THIS sensitive. I've never seen any major power surges thankfully. Mine only wobbles a bit.

So, if you change to a 10hz refresh rate the ACC will stop working?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:41 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,435 Posts
Tested Crius SE on Tri, wasn't so great, so now building Y6.
One problem - can't mount board on CoG. Possible variantas, help me choose which one would be better:
  1. Board rotated 45 angle (corner looking forward). Probably will require code changes, and some steel bolts will be nearby (not good for magnetometer?)
  2. raised ~80mm from arms level (up)
  3. ~45mm back from CoG, ~10mm from arms level
Suggestions?
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:53 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
And on another note, has anyone successfully used the stable mode without getting vibrations? I don't know how many actually use this board on their multi-rotors at the moment. Maybe this is a case of "you get what you pay for". It costs a third of the Quadrino board which is also advertised on the forum after all.