HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:54 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
PID tuning controls how the FC interacts with the inputs and outputs and is unique for each model. Maybe the PIDs are correct and you just need to increase your RC rate to get the stick response you are looking for?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, PA, Nesquehoning
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlkk View Post
I'm curious to see if other people on this board have the same setup as mine and what their PID values are. I have trouble finding a good set of values to flight my quad. The current values are:

P I D
Roll: 3.2 0.03 3
Pitch: 3.2 0.03 3
Level: 3.6 0.01 5

The quad seems to be stable but it's sluggish. If I try to increase P to 4 or 5 it starts to oscillate a little and if I increase D it seems to circle a bit.

I've been struggling with these values for too long and I'm a little tired. My stm32 MMC10 board seemed to fly better than this despite the infamous drift issue but I never expected it to have a perfect hovering behavior like my Naza. But this Multiwii, I can only say so far I'm not impressed at all.
how is your board mounted??are you running the low pass filters??

my dji f450 flies great ,heres my pid values

roll p- 3.5
i- .026
d-23

pitch p- 3.5
i- .026
d- 23

yaw p- 8.5 yaw rate .50
i- .045
d- 0

level p- 7.0
i- .010
d-100
i have my rc rate at like 90 or 100 and very little if any expo .mine was setup for me and its been great with these settings . good luck
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
I don't have any vibration dampening material in between the board and the frame. I do have LPF enabled and set at 42Hz. Do you use any vibration dampening material? Do you also have LPF enabled?

My RC rate is set at 95 and 40 for expo.
notlkk is offline Find More Posts by notlkk
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
my board is mounted between the plates on the inside and stuck on with double sided tape . i do have the 42hz filters turned on .without them its pretty erratic .

i have the same multiwii se board mounted on nylon stand-offs in my tbs discovery frame and i do not need any filters turned on in that one .

how is your board mounted?

try my p-i-d settings and report back .if it doesnt fly any better you might want to try stronger filters .also be sure to balance your props ,its very easy to do .
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
My board is also mounted with 4 nylon spacers on the bottom plate.Your comments about your tbs discovery frame makes me believe I need to add some anti-vibration materail under the board since the F450 frame is known to have resonance issues.

I do have my props and motors balanced.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
try it both ways ...filters on and filters off .it will be apparent right away if you need them or not . if your mounted with the stand off`s try turning the filters off .
when i had the filters turned on in my discovery frame it did not like it (figure that out...lol)so i leave them off on that frame and it flies fine without them .
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
I actually have tried it without the LPF before I turned it on. Without the LPF, the quad had constant small oscillations.
Last edited by notlkk; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
ok, i shot a indoor video of my f450 today(too cold/windy outside to fly) when i get it uploaded i`ll post it for you to see .mine flies good on the settings i posted. well i do have flashed esc`s and 1300kv rctimer motors.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:13 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
here you go .my f450 multiwii se in the house flying .too cold and windy to fly outside .this quad is rock steady and my favorite to fly .
multiwii se
tbs flashed esc`s
rctimer 2830 1300kv motors
8x4.5 carbon/nylon props
enerland 2500 45c 3s lipo .enjoy and turn it up. choose 1080p

dji f450 in house flying (7 min 37 sec)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
Nice! It does look pretty smooth. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlkk View Post
I'm also curious to know how people mount their board to the frame. Do you add any foam or vibration dampening material under the board? Though I've balanced my props and motors I'm not using anything to dampen the vibration to the board (just 4 nylon spacers) so I think it could be another factor.
I use this:
http://www.rcplanet.com/Kyosho_Absor...p/kyoz8006.htm
seems to work real well. Its not cheap but one sheet is enough to mount a number of FCs. I use standoffs to mount the FC board to a small and light weight sheet of plastic, then mount the plastic sheet on the gel which is attached to the frame. (That way I can removes the FC board without fear of damage from the very sticky gel) It holds well and does not require any additional mechanical attachment.
Gordon2 is offline Find More Posts by Gordon2
Last edited by Gordon2; Feb 05, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:37 AM
Joined Oct 2012
114 Posts
Gordon, that's interesting. Are you also using an F450 or cloned frame? Do you need to enable the LPF with this setup?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:44 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
92 Posts
Hi Guys!
Can you help me to understand,
I have Turnigy Plush ESC (30A) and D2822/17 Motor - What value I must set to MINTHROTTLE ?

Thank you in advice
MrDeath is offline Find More Posts by MrDeath
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeath View Post
Hi Guys!
Can you help me to understand,
I have Turnigy Plush ESC (30A) and D2822/17 Motor - What value I must set to MINTHROTTLE ?

Thank you in advice
it is different in every case .you want it so they are spinning when armed but not so much that it tries to lift off .try one of the default settings and go from there .you need not define your esc just use any min throttle setting .

this is my setup

/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed */
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1300 // for Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1220
#define MINTHROTTLE 1250

use any define minthrottle and adjust the number until they all spin same time but quad does not try to lift .
start with lower numbers and work your way up so you dont get a surprise lift off.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:39 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
it is different in every case .you want it so they are spinning when armed but not so much that it tries to lift off .try one of the default settings and go from there .you need not define your esc just use any min throttle setting .

this is my setup

/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed */
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1300 // for Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1220
#define MINTHROTTLE 1250

use any define minthrottle and adjust the number until they all spin same time but quad does not try to lift .
start with lower numbers and work your way up so you dont get a surprise lift off.
Thx,
On 1300 my motors spin prety fast,but at 1200 not
What can you say about

#define MOTOR_STOP
#define MIDRC 1500

how to setup them ?

also how #define FAILSAVE_DELAY works ? what it does then signal lost ?
MrDeath is offline Find More Posts by MrDeath
Last edited by MrDeath; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:46 AM.