HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey Engineer View Post
how to control LED strip lights with the Crius Multiwii SE?
would like to control them (on/off) with a switch on my transmitter.
Crius doesn't provide 12V.
Use http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Switch_.html (backordered at the moment)
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:53 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2005
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
Use http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Switch_.html (backordered at the moment)
Thank you. Now I can stop searching and searching. For now I will plug right into the battery. When the switch comes back in stock I'll consider it.
Osprey Engineer is offline Find More Posts by Osprey Engineer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-37 Dragonfly
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:51 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I have one of these.

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

But the config file defines are obviously wrong for CRIUS SE since it had different sensors. I also need to move some outputs around to deal with my model ( CPPM + Octo X8 + camstab ) since the defaults overlap. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:54 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2005
361 Posts
Hooking up LED strip lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
Actually I just saw that these lights take 4 - 12 Volt. So if the SE board can output 5V, would that work? and How could one hook this up to say the Gear channel?
Osprey Engineer is offline Find More Posts by Osprey Engineer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-37 Dragonfly
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Still up the creek with this board. I finally got it to the point where I can get MultiiWiiConf communicating with the board and able to upload sketches, but the orientation is all messed up. I've tried the Hobbyking SE 2 config, which at least seems to get all the sensors working, still has messed orientation.

Does anyone have a working 2.1 config.h file for the SE V2.0?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Ok, it appears as though I may have finally gotten a handle on it, needed to acc calibrate to bring the numbers into line.

If someone could point me in the direction of remapping pins for camstab that would be great. I have cppm and octo X8 enabled ( still needs testing ) and I should have plenty of pins to use, just need to map two of them for camstab.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey Engineer View Post
these lights take 4 - 12 Volt. So if the SE board can output 5V, would that work?
Lightning is dimmer on 5V than on 12V. These lights are made to work on 12V.
Connecting them to the board, you will take power from your BEC, there is a risk of brownouts (receiver not getting enough current).
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mortimer; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Pouring over 2.1 more it appears as though the connection documentation is wrong. The PROMINI ( m328p ) the Output.ino clearly dictates use of ports { 9,10,11,3,6,5,A2,12 } for motors leaving A0 and A1 alone for camstab. It looks like they did this to simplify connections with 5,6 stolen from the traditional RX ports for 6+ motors and if you need them then can be reactivated on A0, A1. Confusing for someone new to multiwii, but makes some sense in retrospect.

So I don't need to do any port remapping, it should just work I think.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined May 2012
141 Posts
Hello all,

After losing hope with DIY Multiwii FC, I'm purchasing a seconhand Crius Multiwii v1.0 and I'd like to know how to program it, since I only have done it with microUSB until now.

I know the FTDI way is the most common, but I don't have the official adapter. Instead I do have an adapter which is more or less the same, but I'm afraid it is not going to work. It is this one:

(VBUS = 5V)

I think it wouldn't work because the CTS pin is not there. Is it equivalent to 3,3 V?

So my other option to program it is via ISP. Is this possible in v 1.0? I plan to use this. I know it is supposed to use for KK or ESC, but it does have ISP interface. Has someone done it with this programmer?

And finally, any generic USB to TTL converter in 5V level with CTS connection should work, right?

Thanks in advance , and sorry for my newbie questions.
h_e_c is offline Find More Posts by h_e_c
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:30 PM
Splat
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
I helped MrDeath get one of these type USB adapters talking to his board a while back. Check this thread between 3073 and 3131 for our dialog.
It ended up with him connecting it with jumper wires and it worked fine.
"MrDeath,
I went back and found your post with the picture of the adapter your trying to use. It might work but you need to only connect about four wires from you adapter to the multiwii board.
Connect gnd to gnd, txd to txd, rxd to rxd and 5v to 5v. Make the connections to the FTDI port on the multiWii board not the uart port. Connecting the 3v3 pin would likely do bad things. let me know if this helps. "
You can make it work with a bit of pin to pin wiring.
PLC77 is offline Find More Posts by PLC77
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2012
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC77 View Post
I helped MrDeath get one of these type USB adapters talking to his board a while back. Check this thread between 3073 and 3131 for our dialog.
It ended up with him connecting it with jumper wires and it worked fine.
"MrDeath,
I went back and found your post with the picture of the adapter your trying to use. It might work but you need to only connect about four wires from you adapter to the multiwii board.
Connect gnd to gnd, txd to txd, rxd to rxd and 5v to 5v. Make the connections to the FTDI port on the multiWii board not the uart port. Connecting the 3v3 pin would likely do bad things. let me know if this helps. "
You can make it work with a bit of pin to pin wiring.
Thanks for the answer .

I've been looking to your discussion with MrDeath and I am confused now about the pin connection. I know DTR is the same as RESET. But what is CTS?

But the most important thing for me to know now is the connection between RX and TX, there seem to be divergent opinions. Which is correct, TX-TX and RX-RX or TX-RX and RX-TX? I don't want to burn my Crius.

And the last thing: Is it possible to upload Multiwii 2.1 firmware to my Crius v 1.0? Or does it only work 2.0?

I'd be awesome if you could help me with this issues, then I could try programming it as I do have RESET pin.

Thanks again.
h_e_c is offline Find More Posts by h_e_c
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
h_e_c,
CTS stands for "clear to send" and it is the name of a communacations signal which is the response to a communications device recieving or sending the "request to send" signal (RTS). It is a handshake between devices. but that is really not the issue in this case.
I have found that the RX, TX, rts and cts signals won't be damaged if miswired to each other. BUT you must be carefull with the 5 volt and 3.3 volt connections. In this case dont use 3.3 volts. The way I recomend is disconnecting all escs and other voltage sources from the board and use the 5 volt supplied by the USB connection to your PC to power the board. So in your case wire the vbus (5v) to the 5volt connection and ground to gnd. This will power the board. connect tx to tx and rx to rx . and plug in the usb port to the pc. You should hear the bong as the pc discovers the usb device.
Then fire up arduino 1.0.1 and open the Mutiliwii version you want to use. I have not had an issue with any version from 1.9 to the latest development veresion. once the script is in arduino go to the board and comm port setting and make sure that your using the correct comm and processor. Then open the config.h file and set it for the type of copter your want to run, and set the board to the crius se. Once the setup in config.h is set just, upload the sketch to the board. It takes a while, but you will see the progress bar at the bottom. this may be too much detail as there are several "how to"s on the Multiwii site.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC77 View Post
h_e_c,
....Then open the config.h file and set it for the type of copter your want to run, and set the board to the crius se. ...
For a Multiwii AIO PRO ?
Gordon2 is offline Find More Posts by Gordon2
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:32 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
I missed where he said it was a AIO PRO, I should have said "select the board that your using" to be more correct.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:41 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
I always thought that the Crius AIO Pro had the usb port on it standard to there would be no need to connect a usb adapter anyway.Maybe I am mistaken...?