Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notlkk View Post
Here's what I have in my config.h:

#define MINTHROTTLE 900
#define MINCOMMAND 800

I didn't use the servo Y cable to calibrate my ESCs but I did calibrate them individually by connecting the ESC cable to my Rx throttle channel. Also tried the

//#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY // uncomment to activate

in config.h to calibrate all of them together.

UPDATE:

I did ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY to calibrate all ESCs again. Now when I connect the battery and arm all 4 motors/props seem to spin at the same speed. However, the problem is they start spinning right after I armed without even moving up the throttle. Also, when I increase the throttle the quad will flip forward so it seems the rear motors are spinning faster than the front ones.
Okay, the motors spinning at arming is normal multiwii behavior If you don't want this feature go to ** motor, servo and other presets** in config.h and uncomment #define MOTOR_STOP. I like having the motors spin at arming so I KNOW its armed

Next, try setting MINCOMMAND to 1000 and MINTHROTTLE to about 1100 and try again.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Okay, the motors spinning at arming is normal multiwii behavior If you don't want this feature go to ** motor, servo and other presets** in config.h and uncomment #define MOTOR_STOP. I like having the motors spin at arming so I KNOW its armed

Next, try setting MINCOMMAND to 1000 and MINTHROTTLE to about 1100 and try again.

Cheers,
Geoff
Great. Thanks. I'll do that as soon as I get home.

UPDATE:

I tried but it didn't seem to help much. I can see all 4 motors sort of having the same output in GUI and when armed they spin at about the same speed. However, once I gradually apply more throttle the quad always wants to flip backwards even when I try to counter it by trying to pitch it forward on the stick.

UPDATE 2:

I just realized that I have to re-calibrate all ESCs again since I changed the MINTHROTTLE value. After that, the quad now tends to flip forwards instead of backwards during takeoff. I'm going nuts.....

UPDATE 3:

It turned out I had D9 and D10 reversed. I don't know how this could happen but it did. The confusing part is I'm almost positive that all props were spinning in the right direction so how could D9 and D10 have been incorrectly connected? Special thanks to gbmarsh for helping me along the way. He was very patient with me providing all the tips he could think of. Now let me just crawl back to my cave to sob for such a silly mistake. Thanks.
notlkk is offline Find More Posts by notlkk
Last edited by notlkk; Jan 04, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:45 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
After my first attempt with this board failed on a faulty FTDI board I installed a KK2 board to get flying. I received my new FTDI, Installed the multiwii board. The computer sees the new FTDI but doesn't communicate with the multiwii. I guess the faulty FTDI may have hurt the board. So now I'm looking to get another board. As I'm new to this any recommendations on which board I should get? Looking for stable over acrobatic.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:10 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
I installed multiwiiwin GUI and it works after I installed net frame work 4. Multiwiicong still doesnt. On to some reading to get the settings figured out now.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:05 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Are there any videos of setting up Arduino around? I have never used Arduino.
Last edited by davecrash; Jan 05, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:02 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
I have had a successful test hover. I found some settings here that I used and set through Multiwiiwin. I also increased the Tx travels to max as i also read in here. I wasn't able to disarm the motors until i increased the travels.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:27 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
Are there any videos of setting up Arduino around? I have never used Arduino.
these helped me figure it all out .good luck

How to Use Multi Wii Sketch (3 min 21 sec)

MultiWii Arduino Sketch mod and Upload (2 min 22 sec)
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
108 Posts
HeadFree Mode

I can't seem to get the CF mode to work. I've calibrated the mag and everything in GUI seems fine except the heading seems a little off (when I place the quad facing forward/north the GUI thinks it's about 350 degrees).

This is what I did:

1. Enabled CF
2. Placed the quad to face north
3. Armed the motors
4. Held the quad in my hand and pitched forward. Felt fine.
5. Turned the quad 90 degrees and pitched forward again. Didn't feel like it's pitching forward.

Do I need to calibrate my mag so it's dead on? I seem to have problems with that too though I do rotate the quad 360 degrees in every axis.

Thanks.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:30 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
I can't seem to get the CF mode to work. I've calibrated the mag and everything in GUI seems fine except the heading seems a little off (when I place the quad facing forward/north the GUI thinks it's about 350 degrees).

This is what I did:

1. Enabled CF
2. Placed the quad to face north
3. Armed the motors
4. Held the quad in my hand and pitched forward. Felt fine.
5. Turned the quad 90 degrees and pitched forward again. Didn't feel like it's pitching forward.

Do I need to calibrate my mag so it's dead on? I seem to have problems with that too though I do rotate the quad 360 degrees in every axis.

Thanks.
Where do you have your board mounted, between the plates or up top?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Where do you have your board mounted, between the plates or up top?
Between the plates. It's on the bottom plate. Do I need to turn Mag on along with HeadFree? Can I have both Level and HeadFree on at the same time?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:37 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Between the plates. It's on the bottom plate. Do I need to turn Mag on along with HeadFree? Can I have both Level and HeadFree on at the same time?
There's a pretty good chance the power distribution board is a affecting your mag in it's current location.

1st question: No
2nd question: I don't know, might want to ask that one over at mulltiwii.com

Cheers,
Geoff
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
108 Posts
After some tuning the CF mode seems to work better but I guess I just need to get used to it. Level and CF mode can be both on.

I do have a problem with Mag on, though. Whenever I turn Mag on, the quad bounces up to adjust the orientation then quickly settles down again. Is this normal?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,880 Posts
Quote:
After some tuning the CF mode seems to work better but I guess I just need to get used to it. Level and CF mode can be both on.

I do have a problem with Mag on, though. Whenever I turn Mag on, the quad bounces up to adjust the orientation then quickly settles down again. Is this normal?
are you sure your not referring to baro?this sounds like a baro issue.
mag is like a heading hold .baro tries to keep your quad at a specific height.
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helizrnew2me View Post
are you sure your not referring to baro?this sounds like a baro issue.
mag is like a heading hold .baro tries to keep your quad at a specific height.
Yes, it's mag. I haven't tried anything on baro yet.

UPDATE:

Mag is working now. I don't know, maybe I had baro turned on accidentally.
Last edited by notlkk; Jan 06, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:32 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it's mag. I haven't tried anything on baro yet.

UPDATE:

Mag is working now. I don't know, maybe I had baro turned on accidentally.
How did you calibrate your mag?
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser