SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:27 AM
Splat
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
MR Death,
I presume you are using jumperwires to make the connection because the board you shows as the USB adapter has pins and so does the multiwii board. I figure that you can make individual connections with jumper wires or make up a small cable to make the connections.
Anyway the problem is that on the usb connector there is a 3.3 volt pin which likely comes out of a regulator chip on the usb adapter. If you connect that to anything on the multiwii, you could be shorting out that 3.3volt regulator. The multiwii board has its own regulators and expects 5 volts. also when you connect to a UART the expectation is that the data sent is sent in a character formatted condition. A UART sends and recieves ascii formated data at a set baud rate.and not raw 1s and 0s. In any event, if you connect only the 4 pins I suggested to the FTDI port you will not damage either board.
PLC77 is offline Find More Posts by PLC77
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:33 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
thx PLC77 I will try.
Where I can find FTDI number Pins on Multiwii ?
MrDeath is offline Find More Posts by MrDeath
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:40 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
Mr Death,
Your picture of the USB adapter showed that it had pins so I presume that you are connecting it to the multiwii with jumper wires and could make the individual connections.
I suspect that the UART connection on the multiwii board expects ASCII formated data at a set baud rate rather than raw 1s and 0s. If you connect only the 4 pins I mentioned to the FTDI port it should work. The real issue with the USB adapter is that one of the pins is the 3.3 volt output of a regulator on the USB adapter board. Connecting that pin to anything may short the regulator chip on the adapter. the Multiwii needs only the 5 volt connection.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:45 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
Ok, I understood so I must connect 4 pinds from USB convertor VCC(5v) RX TX GND to

FTDI port on Multiwii board, right ? To RXI TXC VCC adn GND
right ?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:46 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
Mr Death if you look at teh picture of the board you just sent starting at the bottom right of the board the pins are from bottom to top: DTR, RXD, TXD, 5Volts,CTS, GND. So the ground pin is clossest to the uart connector.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:52 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
ok, thank you
I will test now.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:00 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
Mr Death
I just looked at your adapter pins and noticed that there is a rst pin witch is likely a reset that may need to connect to the DTR pin on the Multiwii, or it may work without it.
I would try it both ways.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:12 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
No luck, may be I need to connect battery ? or disconect ESC ?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:16 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
I would disconnect the escs and try again the adapter is trying to supply 5 volts to the board so for testing i would just have the board only connected to the adapter.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:19 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
when you plug in the usb you should get the discoveery sounds out to the PC and the lights on the adapter should flash a few times then you should see both power leds light on the multiwwi board and possibly the blue light blink
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:19 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
YEAH! It/s work!
I just disconnect ESC,
Thank you!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:20 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
Excellent! did you need the DTR pin attached?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:25 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
If you want to power the board with the ESC I would pull the 5 volt connection to the USB adapter as a precaution because some esc with switching BECs don't like mulitple sources of voltage.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:31 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
Yes, But it works without it too
Now I'm trying to calibrate it ... Is any manual ? my Yaw is greater than roll, how to change this value ?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:37 AM
Splat
Joined Jul 2007
399 Posts
Well Mr Death now your past me. I am just starting to mess with Quads and have not even recieved my frame yet! I am sure that if you look back thru this long post you will fine someone who has addressed that issue. That is what I woud do. good luck, glad I could help get you connected.