HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:13 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpile View Post
Hi MrDeath,

I am almost certain you could use that but it would be much easier to get a FTDI adapter from rctimer.com, it's super cheap and they work great.
Yes, I Agree, but I must wait FTDI for 2-4 weeks, but this adapter is on my hands now...
How can I use it ? can you help me with some info ?
Flashing is made only through FTDI Pin ? or I can use and UART Pin to reflash Multiwii SE v1.0 ?
Thankyou in advice
MrDeath is offline Find More Posts by MrDeath
Last edited by MrDeath; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Jun 2008
41 Posts
Flashing Multiwii

Hi MrDeath,
You will need to match up the V to V, G to G, tx to rx, and rx to tx. You'll need to get patch wires or some sort of wired connection between the USB adapter and the FTDI port. Of course a FTDI adapter is so much easier, you can still get one cheap out of the U.S for less than $10, use google search, shopping.
Hope I haven't confused you, easiest route is get a FTDI adapter from a U.S distributor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeath View Post
Yes, I Agree, but I must wait FTDI for 2-4 weeks, but this adapter is on my hands now...
How can I use it ? can you help me with some info ?
Flashing is made only through FTDI Pin ? or I can use and UART Pin to reflash Multiwii SE v1.0 ?
Thankyou in advice
jtpile is online now Find More Posts by jtpile
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Jun 2008
41 Posts
FTDI link

Here ya go, ships out of Indiana, $11: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320969539027
Super easy with this one, good luck!

Quote:
Hi MrDeath,
You will need to match up the V to V, G to G, tx to rx, and rx to tx. You'll need to get patch wires or some sort of wired connection between the USB adapter and the FTDI port. Of course a FTDI adapter is so much easier, you can still get one cheap out of the U.S for less than $10, use google search, shopping.
Hope I haven't confused you, easiest route is get a FTDI adapter from a U.S distributor.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
HI, thx I bought already but I must wait it ....
So like I understand I can use my USB converter to flash my firmware?
How to connect it to multiwii se ?
on multiwii I don't see any Rx Tx V and GDN
http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_149348_1.jpg
on FTDI we have 6 pins, can you explain number of pins ? and where to connect ?
or I misunderstood something ?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Ftdi adapter has on top of the signal above, the cts and dtr

These are rs232 signaling that are pretty useless normally

I think somehow the board must have a reset signal from these two pins, since flash over serial/ftdi happen only just after a board restart/reset

Flashing happen via arduino environment there you just set com port .. so any serial port can be selected there ... but unless you manage to reset the board on the right time ... you will not be able to flash the board

If you have a usbavr atmel you have second way to flash the chip

Tchuss

E_lm_70

Tchuss

E_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:07 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
e_lm_70 thx,
I'm searching a data sheet of this version of crius to see may be I can do smth ....
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Jun 2008
41 Posts
Flashing Crius Multiwii SE

Hi MrDeath,

I am not certain too if it can be done the way you want, I doubt you can hurt anything unless you plug the V (voltage) and G (ground) incorrectly. You may see your device in Arduino if you have it hooked up properly. Please see older multiwii SE pic I found with Google, it should have the same order as the newer version. TX-RX, RX-TX, G-G, V-V, along with the remaining pins. AGAIN don't plug in the voltage side incorrectly or you're going to toast your flight controller.
Again get an FTDI adapter regardless, you can have it in 2 days and it's super easy...
Good luck!

Quote:
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:52 AM
Joined Jun 2008
41 Posts
Crius OLED

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get the Crius OLED to work properly with the Crius Multiwii SE? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:26 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Hi MrDeath,

I am not certain too if it can be done the way you want, I doubt you can hurt anything unless you plug the V (voltage) and G (ground) incorrectly. You may see your device in Arduino if you have it hooked up properly. Please see older multiwii SE pic I found with Google, it should have the same order as the newer version. TX-RX, RX-TX, G-G, V-V, along with the remaining pins. AGAIN don't plug in the voltage side incorrectly or you're going to toast your flight controller.
Again get an FTDI adapter regardless, you can have it in 2 days and it's super easy...
Good luck!
In the picture I see "short"

If you want to give a try on flashing it ... just plug your serial adapter (that is also providing +5v) to the board (connect Tx,RX,Gnd and +5V) ... don't short anything ... and maybe remove ESC, RX and all other stuff connected to the board.

All you need to do is to load arduino, select the serial port that match your usb-serial adapter ... and click on upload (after have open and set up properly the multiwii project)

I'm not sure it will work ... unless you manage to reset the board just before the upload will start ... but ... honestly I never try to update firmware with serial adapter, I did always used a serial one.

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
Thx guys, I think I will wait FTDI to flash it without risk ... I'm from Moldova, and I will get FTDI for much more time like in US.
I tried to flash through UART port, but I get sync error.

BTW, Do i need to connect any power to multiwii for flashing ? or I must just use FTDI without additional power suply ?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Thx guys, I think I will wait FTDI to flash it without risk ... I'm from Moldova, and I will get FTDI for much more time like in US.
I tried to flash through UART port, but I get sync error.

BTW, Do i need to connect any power to multiwii for flashing ? or I must just use FTDI without additional power suply ?
MY USB to serial adapter, provide 5v (5v is direct from USB) , and as well 3.3V ...

The FTDI adapter that I got with my Multiwii board, provide 5v directly from USB to the board.

So, once you plug these adapters, you better use the 5v from the USB adapter, and take care there is nothing else powering the board.

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: About your error, I think it is due to the fact that for flashing the board need to get a reset few millisecond before start sending the new firmware over the serial interface ... since you can't control Arduino gui, and flashing is always preceded by recompiling ... it is quite hopeless to use manually reset the board just before the flash start ... so .. you have to wait ... unless you have a USBavr adapter .. in this case you can use the 6 pin connection in the middle of the board ...still it is a tricky operation to be done
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
Moldova, Chisinau
Joined Oct 2012
88 Posts
well I must connect lipo battery due flashing or not ?
also I have some questions

I have this revision of board http://www.photo-worx.de/content/mik..._PinoutsV1.jpg

1. How can I make a battery low alarm
2. How can I connect leds to board?
thank you.
Last edited by MrDeath; Oct 29, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
well I must connect lipo battery due flashing or not ?
also I have some questions

I have this revision of board http://www.photo-worx.de/content/mik..._PinoutsV1.jpg

1. How can I make a battery low alarm
2. How can I connect leds to board?
thank you.
For flash better you dont plug your lipo

Even better remove rx and esc plug to the board

Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:56 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,958 Posts
Quote:
e_lm_70 thx,
I'm searching a data sheet of this version of crius to see may be I can do smth ....
You have to hold the AVR at reset, start the uploading and then release the reset to get it into the bootloader.

Some Arduino boards have a reset button, some don't and use a capacitor tied to DTR of the serial port to do the reset by toggling DTR. Some have both.

If you want to do that on your own, just trace the reset pin on the AVR (It should be pin 29 on the 32 pin SMD ATmega328P). A low signal on the pin for longer than 2.5 usec is a reset.

If you toggle DTR at the right time, you may do it as well without bypassing the capacitor.

Good luck.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,958 Posts
For example the promini has both the button and the capacitor on its reset.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09